Who makes the call?

Tommy Tar

Who makes the call?

Post by Tommy Tar » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:59 pm

I see that the political rallies for tonight (3-10) have been canceled. What happens if we see a very low voter turn out tonight and the person who comes in second thinks it's because of the fear of COVID-19? What happens if tens of thousands of older people stay home tonight in Ohio and congress person X was polling great with older Americans ends up second by 300 votes?

How safe are the mail in ballots to handle? What if poll workers are afraid to show up to work? I think we have many more primaries to go and this could be a big deal.

:fan:
‘I Haven’t Seen Democrats This Mad Since We Freed the Slaves!’..... Rob Schneider.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Re: Who makes the call?

Post by John Q. Public » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:50 pm

There's more risk involved in going to Walmart to buy an SUV load of toilet paper than there is in voting, except for maybe standing in a long line to do it. But I can't explain why anyone would think they need a six-month supply of TP either, so you might be right. But they are saying the turnout today has been unusually high.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Tommy Tar

Post by Tommy Tar » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:23 pm

(CNN)Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine announced on Monday that he is recommending moving the state's primary election slated to take place on Tuesday to June over fears around the spread of the novel coronavirus.

"It is clear that tomorrow's in person voting does not conform, and cannot conform with these CDC guidelines. We cannot conduct this election tomorrow, the in-person voting for 13 hours tomorrow, and conform to these guidelines," DeWine said.

"We should not be in a situation where the votes of these individuals, who are conflicted, are suppressed. It is therefore my recommendation after talking with the secretary of state, talking with the attorney general, talking with the lieutenant governor, that voting be extended until June 2. That no in-person voting occur today, but rather that in-person voting occur on June 2, but between now and then that absentee ballot voting be permitted."

DeWine, though, says he does not have the power to postpone the primary unilaterally and will now go to court to request the delay.
=======snip============

I told you making the call will be hard.
‘I Haven’t Seen Democrats This Mad Since We Freed the Slaves!’..... Rob Schneider.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:26 pm

We should just go to a national vote by mail system. That doesn't set well with the Red states that actively practice voter suppression via limiting polling stations in ethnic neighborhoods.

I wonder why.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:58 pm

Republican Governor deciding when the Democratic primary will be held...postponing it can only help Bernie...hmmm

Other states are taking reasonable precautions - adequate spacing in lines, just the minimum of people inside the voting location at any one time, frequent wipedowns of equipment - there are no "crowds" of people involved.

Typical for trumpsters who're saying this whole virus thing is liberal media hype to talk out both sides of their mouths on this...
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:10 pm

Bizarrely, DeWine overrode the court and had his health dept. declare it a health emergency. More to come on that one, I'm sure.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:37 pm

And he did it literally just a few hours before polls were due to open...Florida and Illinois are going ahead on sched...guessing the Ohio virus is different?
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

Donald Trump

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:25 am

Speaking of the Illinois primary, a friend of ours came to visit for a couple months. She was supposed to go back last week so she could vote (for Biden), among other things, but her flight was cancelled and now she's staying kind of indefinitely. Now, I'm not going to say it's a Bernie plot to cancel her vote but it's suuuure looking suspicious.

Tommy Tar

Post by Tommy Tar » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:49 am

When I voted a few weeks ago the poll workers were all over 60 years old. I was checked in on a laptop computer and had to write my signature on the screen. I walked over to a cardboard box that was just used but someone else and used the same pin as that person used. :roll:

Now if older people don't come out to vote today and Sanders wins Ohio or AZ what will the Biden camp say? This could also effect down ballets candidates or propositions. I see a bunch of people rushing to court tomorrow.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:32 am

The workers at my polling place were all college-aged. And the problems with the touch-screens can be fixed with wipes if they can get them.

Down-ballot races would just be delayed and Bernie might get a slight "Medicare-for-all" advantage but he's polling well behind Biden and I doubt that would change significantly. The biggest advantage of a delay would go to Trump, who's polling WAY behind either of the Dems in Ohio. A delay might save him a little embarrassment.

Tommy Tar

Post by Tommy Tar » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:25 am

Record low turnout in Fla, Ill so far.
John Q. Public wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:32 am
Down-ballot races would just be delayed
The down ballot are printed on the same ballot. The down ballot winners need to start fund raising for the Nov election. The winner will be happy with the vote. The loser not so much.

I hope I'm wrong. I don't want to go through Florida 2000 again. :fan:

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:18 pm

Tommy Tar wrote:Record low turnout in Fla, Ill so far
Where are you getting this info? 2016 FL turnout was about 1.7 mil, today is projected to be about 1.6 --:--

Joe absolutely crushed Bernie in FL and is ahead in IL early

I don't want to go through Florida 2000 again

Why, are you a Democrat?
George Will

Donald Trump