ELECTION 2020

Vilepagan

Re: ELECTION 2020

Post by Vilepagan »

ventura wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:55 pm Voting is a privilege, it should be valued as a privilege, and if one can't realize that and act responsibly in advance to get their vote in, they shouldn't vote.
No, voting is NOT a privilege it is the the most fundamental right that defines our democracy. That you view this right as a privilege means your opinions about who should be voting or how we should run our elections are suspect as well.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

ventura wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:12 pm Is anyone else worried about this? My mail in ballot says that the polling place is open. It's confusing about whether or not you can vote at the polling place or it's just open for you to drop off your already-filled in ballot.
I don't know about other counties but LA County wasn't especially helpful with that. My sample ballot says polls don't open until the 30th but the list of polling places says the one nearest us opened yesterday. The "neighborhood" ones open on the 30th but the bigger ones opened earlier.
ventura wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:55 pm ...I guess, but wouldn't you admit this mail in deal is untested? If this were just any ol' election I wouldn't be as scared. It ain't that. There's fighting in the streets already. I'm afraid any way it goes is going to lead to fighting, and mail in voting will be cited, with either a Trump or Biden victory.
I share your concern about what happens after election day. The people on the losing side are going to be much more disappointed than usual. How they'll react is anybody's guess, though. But if Trump wins it's a safe bet that there will be at least one more impeachment attempt. He's given them plenty of reasons to since the last one and Congress' subpoena powers have been better defined. And the D's might just control the Senate. We'll see.

We're voting today. We both filled out our ballots a week or so ago but the Foreign Babe realized she'd thrown out her return envelope and I had questions about my signature matching. Like, how closely do they have to match? The scribble for my last name always looks pretty much the same, but what if the signature they have on file says "Johnathan Q. Public" and I sign it "John Q" or just "John?" Or what if my penmanship has gotten even worse in the last 15 years? People's signatures change, so I have a feeling there are going to be some valid ballots that are either thrown out or questioned in states that do that. How significant it is would be anybody's guess but it might be this year's hanging chad.
Don't look at me, I just work here.
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Johnathan Moreno of Bellevue, WA might not take a Trump loss well.

Wabash

Post by Wabash »

You notice these gun toting Trump idiots never bring their schtick to places like South LA.

Hmmmm......wonder why.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Сделай Америку великой снова
broman

Post by broman »

Great thread of tweets from Tom Hartman on the Red Shift that happens in GOP ran states. Red shift is the gap between exit polls and actual votes counted. Primary tactic is voter roll purges and the use of provisional ballots.

For example, in the 2016 election, the exit polls showed Hillary Clinton carrying Florida by 47.7 percent to Trump’s 46.4 percent, although the “actual” counted vote had Trump winning by 49.0 percent to 47.8 percent. Trump gained 2.5 percentage points
Tommy Tar

Post by Tommy Tar »

Joe Biden has suspended all public appearances. :eh?:
President Elect Tommy Tar.
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Barring any surprise press releases, I have a feeling Biden voters appreciate that.
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

Tommy Tar wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:27 am Joe Biden has suspended all public appearances
Good.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Сделай Америку великой снова
ventura

Post by ventura »

John Q. Public wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:42 am Barring any surprise press releases, I have a feeling Biden voters appreciate that.
agreed

what would be the upside to his stepping out anymore?

and the downside is large - the you ain't black comment couldn't have helped him, and arguably was very damaging
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Meanwhile, Donald's having a yuge rally in Lilitz, PA, population 9,000 and home of the Pennsylvania Wolf Sanctuary. :victorydance: Go Don!
Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan »

Tommy Tar wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:27 am Joe Biden has suspended all public appearances.
Horsehockey.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada
ventura

Post by ventura »

John Q. Public wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:48 am Meanwhile, Donald's having a yuge rally in Lilitz, PA, population 9,000 and home of the Pennsylvania Wolf Sanctuary. :victorydance: Go Don!
what's your point?

if it's as elitist as it sounds (a specialty of the east and west coasters), I think the "deplorable" attitude attributed to Trump guys didn't go too well for Hillary last time

anyway, Trump, just coming off COVID, has tons of energy, and Biden, terrified of getting/spreading COVID, is not doing a good job of heading off old man, low energy rumors, among others

might work for Trump for undecided voters - I read Bill was not happy with Hillary not visiting swing state four years ago
Foggy

Post by Foggy »

I like how everyone just accepts the news that he's suspended public appearances, despite there being no link to support the assertion. He has certainly managed to keep the decision secret from all the biggest media outlets in the country. A few far-right wingnut sites are saying that, but if it had really happened, it would be big news.

Of course, Biden has been doing "cars only" appearances, because of the virus. Whereas, the Trump administration has made it clear, Trump's strategy for COVID19 is to surrender in cowardly fashion. Because trying to protect the American people from a deadly pandemic would be real work, but Trump hates work and doesn't give a $h|t about the American people.

'Course, Biden has no need to panic like Trump does. He could stop making appearances today with a big lead in the polls nationwide.

Hay, Pence is the chief of the administration's COVID19 task force, remember that? Oh wait ... yeah, just about his entire staff caught the virus because all they have done is hide from any work and pretend it isn't real. How's that working out for them? :lol:
In /dev/null no one can hear you scream.
ventura

Post by ventura »

Foggy wrote - "like how everyone just accepts the news that he's suspended public appearances, despite there being no link to support the assertion. He has certainly managed to keep the decision secret from all the biggest media outlets in the country. A few far-right wingnut sites are saying that, but if it had really happened it would be big news."

Hey Foggy - I think it would be a good thing for Biden to campaign if he's up for it and he can avoid gaffes. I just did a google search and read he was planning not to - I don't believe it was a right wing outlet.

If he can clearly drive home points and visit these swing states, he should. Just like Hillary should have.
Foggy

Post by Foggy »

HAHAHAHAHA!!!
I did a google search ... I don't believe it was a right-wing outlet.
Well that's certainly more authoritative than an actual link to an actual news source, don'tcha think?

You're killin' me, Smalls! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!1!!
Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Biden is planning to make a campaign appearance in Georgia tomorrow.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/election ... JFTSGR3DYY

:rockon:
ventura

Post by ventura »

foggy responds:

"HAHAHAHAHA!!!

I did a google search ... I don't believe it was a right-wing outlet.

Well that's certainly more authoritative than an actual link to an actual news source, don'tcha think?"
dude! chill! that's a lot of ha's

I'm trying to tell you if Biden is up for campaigning that's a good thing, so long as he doesn't screw up. If he goes out and gets in the face of the right, showing he's got high energy and clarity, that's a good thing for you guys

geez, sensitive

from my google searches, the left stuff usually comes up first, so I didn't think it would be a right wing source

what, you want me to check in with CNN? ha ha is right
ventura

Post by ventura »

foggy - your link didn't work for me
Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Try this:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... story.html
Democrat Joe Biden says he’s adding Iowa and Wisconsin to his travel itinerary for the final week before Election Day ...
Biden made the comments Monday [TODAY] in Chester, Pennsylvania, where he sought to boost get-out-the-vote efforts.
Biden also will head to perennial battleground Florida later this week.
But, y'know ... hay I thought I saw on google that he suspended all his campaign appearances, but I don't have a link for that, but I thought it wasn't a right-wing nutjob website, but that's what I thought it said, but I don't know how do post links or quotes or look for any actual information, right?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
Foggy

Post by Foggy »

And here's Georgia:
Though the Democrat was remaining close on Monday to his Wilmington, Delaware, home, on Tuesday he will visit Georgia ...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... story.html

So I think we have this nailed down at this point.

He's suspending ALL CAMPAIGN APPEARANCES except for Pennsylvania today, Georgia tomorrow, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Florida all by the end of this week.

This is the stuff exciting news reports are made of!! =D>