ELECTION 2020

ShiftyMutt

Re: ELECTION 2020

Post by ShiftyMutt »

I say abolish the senate AND the EC. We don’t need the senate either. Hammer things out with Congress, the senate just gets in the way and they’re overpaid. Think of the savings - time and money.
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

Its the popular vote that Republicans would like to scrap :lol:
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

I looked it up: The original purpose of appointing electors was to serve as a filter to prevent the unwashed masses from electing someone who was popular but unqualified. Most states went to trusting the popular vote by 1832 and South Carolina finally gave in in 1880.

But good luck clearing the 2/3 of both houses and 3/4 of the states to get rid of it, especially when one party relies on the imbalance it provides to stay in power.

The Senate still serves its purpose of representing the states, though, so its imbalance isn't a valid complaint. That's what it was designed for.
Don't look at me, I just work here.
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Chef's kiss.

ShiftyMutt

Post by ShiftyMutt »

Here's a handy dandy map of why the senate is a joke.
The USA split into sections that have the same population as California. What part of this reflects 'balance'?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-11-14 at 9.34.24 AM.png
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Except that demonstrates the very reason why we have a senate - to represent each state equally regardless of population. The problem isn't with the concept, it's with the people using it and why they're using it the way they are.
ShiftyMutt

Post by ShiftyMutt »

That's not balance.
We don't need the senate. Their purpose is outdated like the EC. They are a clog in the cog of progression.
I wouldn't have thought much about it but Mitch changed my mind.
Tommy Tar

Post by Tommy Tar »

And what happens when the old guard democrats push the far left away? :shock:
President Elect Tommy Tar.
ShiftyMutt

Post by ShiftyMutt »

And Rubio is calling for the GOP to rebrand themselves as the party for a multi-racial, multi-ethnic working class party. Basically, Democrats.
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

Tommy Tar wrote:And what happens when the old guard democrats push the far left away?
How is your GOP handling it? BOTH parties face the challenge of appealing to the center and not letting their extreme wings get too much facetime
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump
broman

Post by broman »

Gaining traction on the internets....

The U.S. Army raided the Frankfurt office of the Spanish election software company Scytl to seize servers that had evidence of voting irregularities in the Nov. 3 U.S. election.

: Social media users Saturday were sharing reports published by conservative websites claiming servers that would reveal wrongdoing in the U.S. election had been confiscated by U.S. military forces in Germany. Most posts said the servers belong to the software company Scytl, which is based in Barcelona, and some suggested the servers housed information from Dominion Voting Systems.

The false claims followed a Zoom call this week that featured Republican Rep. Louie Gohmert, of Texas, suggesting that “U.S. Army forces” had seized servers from a Frankfurt office of the software company Scytl.

We do not have servers or offices in Frankfurt” and “The US army has not seized anything from Scytl in Barcelona, Frankfurt or anywhere else.” It also says Scytl does not “tabulate, tally or count votes in the US.”

When asked by The Associated Press if the Army had engaged in an operation to recover servers in Germany, an Army spokesperson responded Saturday, “Those allegations are false.”
https://apnews.com/article/fact-checking-9754011363

Another "server" overseas
Another shady company with foreign connections
:eh?:
broman

Post by broman »

Smoking Gun
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Just how unbelievably stupid do you have to be to think the US Army would or could raid a business' offices? In another country? Without starting a war?

Don't answer. It's Gohmert. We already know the answer.

That's the Air Force's job, anyway.
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

I have had more than one FB friend who believes there is no way Trump could have lost.

They believe that their boat parades, truck convoys, hats, flags, and rally attendance were a stronger indicator of support.
Stay loose, and be a little afraid.
Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Well, yeah, boat parades are much more reliable than votes.

Biden didn't have any boat parades. --:--
I hope y'all are still wearing your seat belts!
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

This was posted by a FB friend about an hour ago.

He really does believe this to be true.
1 of 3 things is going to happen. All the illegal mail in ballots are tossed out and Trump wins. The SC declares enough fraud for the election to be redone in the defrauded states without the use of Absentee or Mail-in Ballots or, the SC declares the entire election must be recast without the use of Mail-in or Absentee ballots, in person, the way it's supposed to be. Oh, there is one other thing that can happen, the SC sends it to the House and Senate and they pick who is POTUS and VP.
It is really sad to see so many buying into the absurd notion of the entire election being done over.
Stay loose, and be a little afraid.
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

broman

Post by broman »

Et,tu, Brian Kemp?
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Giving Donald credit, though, one of his tweets this morning didn't get flagged. First time in about a week.
broman

Post by broman »

Timothy Snyder on Trump and supporters denying reality..

If you have been stabbed in the back, then everything is permitted. Claiming that a fair election was foul is preparation for an election that is foul. If you convince your voters that the other side has cheated, you are promising them that you yourself will cheat next time. Having bent the rules, you then have to break them. History shows the danger in the familiar example of Hitler. When politicians break democracy, as conservatives in Weimar Germany did in the early 1930s, they are wrong to think that they will control what happens next. Someone else will emerge who is better adapted to the chaos and who will wield it in ways that they neither want nor expect. The myth of victimhood comes home and claims its victims.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/11/11/ ... autocracy/