ELECTION 2020

joefutbol

Re: ELECTION 2020

Post by joefutbol »

ventura wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:47 am What is the down side to voter ID mandate
Voter suppression. What is the upside?
ventura wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:47 am Legitimate voting is critical.
It sure is. Which is why we shouldn't be spreading conspiracy theories about legitimate, safe voting being illegitimate and unsafe.

I've asked these same questions to many conservatives -- How does one commit in-person voter fraud? How does one commit mail-in voter fraud? I never get an answer. Ever. So maybe you can answer them for me. How is it done?
ventura

Post by ventura »

How voter suppression? Doesn't everyone have an ID? If not, get one so you can vote!

The upside is a person with a photo ID brings their ballot, gets their name crossed off after face recognition with the ID, and votes. It's verified. This is NOT stuff we should screw around with.

At the very least, organized efforts for vote harvesting could occur, on either side. You can't imagine volunteers organizing to knock on doors and help people fill out their ballots and send them? So that close elections could be swayed by those with the best organization to go door to door? That's not what we want.

If you can't arrange one day in a year to go out and vote with your ID, that doesn't qualify as voter suppression for me. If you are home bound, have someone bring you. If that can't be done, as a last recourse go absentee ballot as has been done through the years.

Isn't the post I responded to claiming the republicans are cheating already? Maybe I misunderstood it. Voter ID mandates wouldn't have eliminated this post?

I'm telling you things are weird out there. I want there to be as little chance as possible for either side to claim a fraudulent election. This isn't a partisan issue.
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

If a photo ID is going to be required to vote, the government should provide one at no expense to the voter.
Stay loose, and be a little afraid.
broman

Post by broman »

ventura wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:13 pm Isn't the post I responded to claiming the republicans are cheating already? Maybe I misunderstood it. Voter ID mandates wouldn't have eliminated this post?
There was no reason to have unofficial ballot drop off points. It only created confusion, which was the point in the first place.
ventura

Post by ventura »

"unofficial ballot drop off points" is part of the mail in thing, right?

couldn't happen with what I want on the voter ID

that's my point
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

ventura wrote:What is the down side to voter ID mandate in person voting
Making it difficult for everyone to exercise their constitutional right

People who have to work
People with kids
People who have to care for others
People traveling
People in hospitals, group homes, away at school, etc.
People who have transportation challenges
People who can't leave home due to age/health or other reasons

Back at you - What's the downside to making it possible for these people and others to exercise their rights?

ventura wrote:We can go to liquor and grocery stores in COVID.
And if we can't go there we have the option to have it delivered...thanks for helping to make my point.
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

ventura wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:47 am We can go to liquor and grocery stores in COVID.
Do the liquor and grocery stores only open for a short period of time every two years?

False equivalency.
joefutbol

Post by joefutbol »

ventura wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:13 pm How voter suppression? Doesn't everyone have an ID?
No. It's not a coincidence that those least likely to have ID are most likely to vote Democrat and the GOP favors those laws. Nobody is legally required to have one. And you have to prove you're eligible to vote... when you register to vote.
ventura wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:13 pm The upside is a person with a photo ID brings their ballot, gets their name crossed off after face recognition with the ID, and votes. It's verified. This is NOT stuff we should screw around with.
The absolute worst reason in the world to do anything is "tradition" or "that's the way it's always been done."

And this is the entire point of my question... which you and nobody else have answered. What is the downside? How is voter fraud committed? What are ID laws preventing? What's the point? How does mail-in voter fraud take place that makes this such an issue? How? HOW? HOW? Can anyone answer the question?
ventura

Post by ventura »

Omar Bongo wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:39 pm People who have to work
People with kids
People who have to care for others
People traveling
People in hospitals, group homes, away at school, etc.
People who have transportation challenges
People who can't leave home due to age/health or other reasons

Back at you - What's the downside to making it possible for these people and others to exercise their rights?
Laughing. Please. Please just give me a break.
ventura

Post by ventura »

joefutbol wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:45 pm And this is the entire point of my question... which you and nobody else have answered. What is the downside? How is voter fraud committed? What are ID laws preventing? What's the point? How does mail-in voter fraud take place that makes this such an issue? How? HOW? HOW? Can anyone answer the question?
I did, Joe. Read what I wrote. Please. Can anyone read what I wrote? Look at the damn post I was responding to! It's your side's post, not mine!

It's voter fraud if you have someone else fill out your ballot and help you send it in.

It's been easier and easier to vote over the last 100 years. Deal with it and show up at the ballot box with your ID. Old farts will have a harder time than most others, and old farts are the only group that the conservatives might have a slight advantage with.
ventura

Post by ventura »

joefutbol wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:45 pm The absolute worst reason in the world to do anything is "tradition" or "that's the way it's always been done."
Wow Joe. Wow. The absolute worst reason? In the world? Wow. Spoken like a true progressive. Those guys through the centuries don't know squat. We know it all.
ventura

Post by ventura »

Wabash wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:42 pm ventura wrote: ↑Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:47 am
We can go to liquor and grocery stores in COVID.

Do the liquor and grocery stores only open for a short period of time every two years?

False equivalency.
Impressive phrase. Moronic response. SMH
joefutbol

Post by joefutbol »

ventura wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:22 pm Wow Joe. Wow. The absolute worst reason? In the world? Wow. Spoken like a true progressive. Those guys through the centuries don't know squat. We know it all.
Clearly that's my opinion. Yeah, it's a pretty dumb reason, especially when the way it's always been done is severely flawed.

Also, I'm a libertarian and haven't voted for a republican or democrat since or before Arnold Schwarzenegger.
joefutbol

Post by joefutbol »

ventura wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:18 pm Can anyone read what I wrote? Look at the damn post I was responding to! It's your side's post, not mine!
My side's what now??? First of all, I don't have a side. I have had correspondence with you, and only you. I have not read any of the other posts... not a word. And if you explained how mail-in voter fraud and in-person voter fraud occur and why they are a problem then please direct me to it.
ventura wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:18 pm It's voter fraud if you have someone else fill out your ballot and help you send it in.
You'd have to be more specific than that. It's 100% not voter fraud to help grandpa fill out his ballot and drop it off for him.
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

ventura wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:28 pm Impressive phrase. Moronic response. SMH
#Irony

Your argument is bogus on its best day.
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

The question I wanted Savannah Guthrie to ask Trump

"Mr. President, aren't your followers the real suckers and losers? Isn't that what you really think of them? And while we're at it, aren't you somewhat of an idiot yourself? C'mon, you're losing anyway. Admit it."
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

ventura wrote:It's voter fraud if you have someone else fill out your ballot and help you send it in.
That is absolutely not true. You have no idea what you're talking about.
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

Donald Trump
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

ventura wrote:Laughing. Please. Please just give me a break.
No answer, eh? Would have been better to pretend you didn't see it...
George Will

Donald Trump
ventura

Post by ventura »

Omar Bongo wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:13 pm ventura wrote:
It's voter fraud if you have someone else fill out your ballot and help you send it in.

That is absolutely not true. You have no idea what you're talking about.
Competent voters apply; others need not. If you need someone to help you with your ballot, please, don't bother. Those dependent on the government for sustenance will not understand this. We're fighting for the land of the free, home of the brave here. While you probably have some kind of education/indocrination, you have no idea why we are free, what it cost to be free, and how we can remain free. Your are snarky, clever, and have lots of fluff, and no wisdom. I wonder if you teach in college.
ventura

Post by ventura »

Omar Bongo wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:15 pm Post by Omar Bongo » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:15 pm

ventura wrote:
Laughing. Please. Please just give me a break.

No answer, eh? Would have been better to pretend you didn't see it...
Nope. The litany of nonsense is too long. Hey Omar - get the last word. I'm done with you.