Racism and the Economy

User avatar
Wabash
Posts: 25261
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:29 am
Has thanked: 10 times

Re: Racism and the Economy

Post by Wabash »

ventura wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:06 am Larry Elder spoke better than I can about the fallacy of systemic racism.....
And he is wrong.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Сделай Америку великой снова
broman
Posts: 4088
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:52 am
Has thanked: 2 times

Re: Racism and the Economy

Post by broman »

Larry Elder and Thomas Sowell...... never heard those two names before. :eh?:
joefutbol
Posts: 5416
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:28 am
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Racism and the Economy

Post by joefutbol »

ventura wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:00 pm Joe - read your response carefully a couple of times and honestly didn't understand it.
You said the break up of the black family is the reason the black community has suffered. For you to be correct we expect to see similar problems among people with the same issues of broken up families. And likewise, we'd see prosperity among people who have the opposite problem (a strong family unit). 70% of white children and 66% of Hispanic and Latino children live with both parents. For blacks, that number is closer to 33%. The divorce rate for Latinos is lower than whites, and significantly lower than blacks. Hispanics and Latinos outscore whites in marital happiness, marital disagreements, and marital stability.

Yet, according to the last census, Hispanics and Latinos had the highest rates of poverty among all groups. That's despite their more cohesive family unit that outscores whites in marriage happiness and divorce rates. The black poverty rate was slightly lower, and the white poverty rate was about 1/3 that of both groups. So... is there something inherently different about being black that's causing the disparity?

You're arguing that the break up of the black family is the cause, I'm arguing it's a symptom.
ventura wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:00 pm And I didn't see any response from you, Wabash, Omar, or Broman to the quotes from Malcom X I posted
I didn't see any response from you regarding the effect we're now seeing decades later from the denial of quality housing to black families and the tremendous head start whites have because of it. Or do you believe that blacks weren't the target of housing segregation?
ventura
Posts: 460
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:16 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 26 times

Re: Racism and the Economy

Post by ventura »

broman wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:08 am I didn't see any response from you regarding the effect we're now seeing decades later from the denial of quality housing to black families and the tremendous head start whites have because of it. Or do you believe that blacks weren't the target of housing segregation?
I don't know. I can accept the premise though.
joefutbol wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:25 am You're arguing that the break up of the black family is the cause, I'm arguing it's a symptom.
This is well put.

I'm arguing the fatherless family is the cause, not a sympton. Perhaps there are many symptoms that contributed to this tumble, including housing segregation.

I'm not a stats guy, and have always been I'm a macro thinker. (Hell, I can barely remember my kids names. I'm a really macro thinker :)). Are you saying the stats don't support a sharp decline in the last sixty years for blacks, after economically not showing such a decline the sixty years before, say from 1900 to 1960? If there was a sharp downward turn after 1960, isn't it consistent with your argument to say the country got more systemically racist from 1960 on, compared to 1900 to 1960? But I thought the great society was designed to be less systematically racist?

You haven't commented on Malcom X's black nationalism ideology. Not a good idea Joe? He basically saw lots of racism, but lots of opportunity, and said screw you, we're sticking together, and will thrive together. It's separatist, but man, it seems like we are worse now with race relations than we've been, since the freaking Civil War, right on the heels of eight years of having a black president.
User avatar
Omar Bongo
Posts: 9815
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:59 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Racism and the Economy

Post by Omar Bongo »

Omar Bongo wrote:I'd prefer that you concisely explain your argument here...can you?
ventura wrote:Omar - I've spent hours explaining my position.
Not here you didn't. As far as I can see you've posted lots of insults (LBJ, Edward Kennedy, Joe Biden and Democrats in general) and lots of links to others supposedly explaining your position. Thanks anyway.
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump
ventura
Posts: 460
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:16 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 26 times

Re: Racism and the Economy

Post by ventura »

Omar - read through my posts, not just the links, and let me know what your questions are. I don't think you want to. Like I said, I spent hours writing them.

To coin a phrase, if you don't think LBJ was a racist, you ain't black.

Edward Kennedy was a disgusting politician, may God have mercy on his soul. Right up there with Bush and son. The personification of the kind of white guy Malcom X was calling out. Seeing him there in judgment of Clarence Thomas....no words.

Joe Biden is a career politician who, like most of them, panders to whomever might give him a taste of that power they've devoted their lives to attaining. He's made his living convincing you he's a friend of the black man. He might fool you, he might even fool himself. He doesn't fool me.

It's your prerogative to think of these men as friends of the African American. Of course you are aware many disagree with you, and instead of dealing with their ideas, they call them names. Uncle Tom. I don't imagine you've any interest in seeing Larry Elder's documentary by that name.
Omar Bongo wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:30 pm ventura wrote:
Systemic racism in America is a fallacy, in my opinion

How would you know?
And you keep changing your own narrative. This comment makes me think I can't comment on the African American because I'm white. I give link after link of intelligent blacks in line with my ideology, and you go back to telling me to write what I think, not them. Your so desperate to "win an argument" instead of having a meaningful exchange that your field vision is malleable. Makes me dizzy when you switch fields that way.
User avatar
Omar Bongo
Posts: 9815
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:59 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Racism and the Economy

Post by Omar Bongo »

Omar - read through my posts, not just the links, and let me know what your questions are. I don't think you want to.

Already did...let's review:

Me: Your idea of giving a middle finger to the Republican Party is to vote for their candidate? Wouldn't the logical way to give "a middle finger to both parties" be to vote for the 3rd party candidate?

You: You are just not getting it and I can't spend any more time trying to explain it.


You're right, I didn't get how you voting for Trump equaled "giving the middle finger" to the Republican Party. I do get that you're hard pressed to explain it.


Me: What kind of "response" were you expecting?

You: No response...


Me: How would you know?

You: So, let's get this straight. I'm not allowed to adhere to the philosophy of Malcom X, or Thomas Sowell, presumably from Omar's statement, because I'm white.

Didn't say that. In your response you accuse me of racial stereotyping (which is not fair, it was an honest question), but I gather from the rest of your response your beliefs are based on things you've read, and not from personal experience, would that be fair?


Me: What statement was that? And what bearing does another's perceived ethnicity have on judging whether their opinions on certain issues have merit or not?

You: No response...


Me: How exactly were they "decimated" by the passing and enactment of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, or Medicare, or Federal Aid to Education, just to name a few?

You: No response...


You: Joe Biden gets a pass on an outrageous statement,...

Me: Eh? Who's handing out these "passes"?

You: No response...


Me: I'd prefer that you concisely explain your argument here...can you?

You: Basically, "Go back and reread the thread and watch the videos..."

No thanks. Been there, done that. And sorry, but I don't have the time to spend watching your videos. If you can't concisely state what you believe here, it's okay. I get the general idea, I think... :-k
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump
User avatar
Omar Bongo
Posts: 9815
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:59 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Racism and the Economy

Post by Omar Bongo »

ventura wrote:And you keep changing your own narrative. Your so desperate to "win an argument" instead of having a meaningful exchange that your field vision is malleable. Makes me dizzy when you switch fields that way.
Have no idea what you're referring to here...what "narrative" did I change?
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump
User avatar
John Q. Public
Site Admin
Posts: 20827
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:56 am
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: Racism and the Economy

Post by John Q. Public »

Another one of these tomorrow, this time focusing on employment. They say you can register on the page but I don't see a link. I was going to wait for the replay anyway, so whatever. I just hope it's better than the one like it I had to watch for work. My god that was awful.

"In the second installment of the series, the employment session will focus on issues related to occupational segregation, discriminatory practices, and employment law. With a bias for action, we are inviting nonprofit, private, and academic leaders to bring forward proposals offering policy and practice changes to mitigate racial disparities and improve the overall economy. Practitioners and private sector leaders will discuss the overall practicality, effectiveness, and opportunities offered by the proposals to remove barriers to equity and improve employment outcomes for workers of color."

https://www.minneapolisfed.org/events/2 ... employment
Don't look at me, I just work here.
BostonDave
Posts: 190
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:11 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Racism and the Economy

Post by BostonDave »

Did I post something here about Mitch and the stimulus? What happened? Wrong place or something? Did I not hit submit or something?
Post Reply