Aging Hub (LAX) Waits to Take Off

Hanna

Aging Hub (LAX) Waits to Take Off

Post by Hanna » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:45 am

LOS ANGELES—A fatal shooting rampage recently raised questions about security at Los Angeles International Airport, but disputes over the facility's fitful path to modernization pose their own set of problems for the nation's third-busiest airport. Despite a showy new international terminal that opened in September, international traffic at LAX—as the sprawling hub is known—is weaker than projected years earlier, while upgrades are still to be made to aging domestic gates and elevators and outdated runway layouts.

(snip)

For Los Angeles and LAX, consistently ranked one of the worst in passenger satisfaction among the top 20 international hubs, the stakes are big. Rival U.S. airports with upgraded facilities are competing hard to siphon off both domestic and international traffic, while a big chunk of the region's economic future is tied to LAX's role as the leading gateway to fast-growing Asian tourism and other markets.

(snip)

This year, just six years after completion, one of LAX's main runways started cracking, a setback that could slow operations just as the airport tries to get its modernization off the ground. The city is suing the runway's designers and contractors. Meanwhile, Mr. Garcetti has joined airport neighbors in opposing another runway project sought by U.S. regulators—and backed by the airport's director—intended to enhance safety and efficiency. Critics say the legal and contractual problems could undermine the airport's position as America's primary aerial connection to fast-growing Pacific markets. San Francisco, Seattle and Dallas are among cities eager to attract such traffic.

(snip)

The 85-year-old facility generates some 300,000 jobs across Los Angeles County, according to the county's Economic Development Corporation. Local and state tax revenue from airport operations and related businesses totals $2.5 billion a year.. The airport has made some upgrades to domestic terminals, and it envisions spending $270 million to replace 3 miles of escalators, walkways and elevator shafts, while some $400 million already has been spent to upgrade a 1960's-vintage central power plant. Indeed, airport managers believed 2013 would be highlighted by the new international terminal—a 3-acre, light-infused space featuring giant multimedia screens, boutiques and restaurants.

More..

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB1 ... 2118145894

(If you cannot open at the link, copy and paste the title, without the word LAX, onto google)

Wabash

Re: Aging Hub (LAX) Waits to Take Off

Post by Wabash » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:14 pm

I hate going to LAX. Easily the worst of the local airports for passenger convenience.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Troglodyte

Post by Troglodyte » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:28 pm

LAX is the only truly international airport within 400 miles. San Diego and Ontario may accept flights from Mexico, but LAX deals with the rest of the world.
LAX actually pays SNA, Long Beach and Ontario to take some domestic flights it can't handle.
For domestic flights I prefer Long Beach. It's easily accessible, usually uncrowded, and simple.
Plus their flights are usually cheaper..
I don't suffer from any mental illnesses.. I enjoy them..

SoMelo

Post by SoMelo » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:58 pm

I like Long Beach too but damn, they never have direct flights unless it's to Phoenix.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:01 pm

The simplest solution would be for LAWA to let go of Ontario.

And I wish the FB would tell her friends about ONT. Got a perfectly good airport 20 miles away with hardly any traffic but it seems none of them :steam: foreigners knows about it.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

tLIB

Post by tLIB » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:27 am

I like Long Beach too but damn, they never have direct flights unless it's to Phoenix.
Well, then just go to Phoenix... :lol: :wink:

SoMelo

Post by SoMelo » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:28 am

I'd rather drive to Phoenix... It absolutely never fails when I have a connecting flight, the layover is short and usually have to wait for my carry on and then I’m at the furthest gate and they usually switch gates before I get there. :steam:

Hanna

Post by Hanna » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:01 am

Indeed. ONT has been chafing under LAWA for decades. LAWA may be paying LGB and SNA to "take passengers," (really?) but has done nothing to help ONT.

Congressman asks LA mayor to restart talks on airport

http://blog.pe.com/news/2013/10/27/rive ... n-airport/

On Thursday, Oct. 24, Takano asked Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti to restart negotiations on returning ONT to Inland management. In his letter to Garcetti, Takano underscored ONT’s importance to the Inland Empire, calling it “a vital economic resource to my region and my constituents, with the potential to serve 30 million passengers annually.

“I respectfully request that you … continue negotiations to move Ontario (airport) to local control as it is a critical element of the Inland Empire’s continued growth in the post-Recession economy.”

I hope Garcetti is receptive. He did replace almost all of LA’s airport commissioners. On the other hand, he just reappointed the LAWA executive director who has overseen ONT’s death spiral, while growing LAX. In his letter, Takano called out LA’s conflict of interest in controlling the Inland airport while its interests really lie in building up LAX. (And perhaps stifling its Inland competitor?)

More at the link

Also, from

ONTARIO: Canceled flights a worry at Inland airport

http://www.pe.com/local-news/columns/ca ... irport.ece

Canceled flights aren’t as big a deal at other airports, because people can usually get on another airline or flight within an hour or two. At ONT, they’re a big problem, because passengers don’t have a lot of alternatives. Fewer and fewer flights are being offered at the Inland airport.

Even Southwest, Ontario’s biggest carrier, has slashed flights from 61 to 30 per day.

What’s worrisome is that Inland residents who prefer to fly out of Ontario might start avoiding the airport if they think there’s a risk their flights could be canceled.

Already, Ontario International has lost more than 40 percent of its passenger volume since 2007 because of airline cutbacks.

tLIB

Post by tLIB » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:26 pm

I'd rather drive to Phoenix... ...the furthest gate and they usually switch gates before I get there.
:D

I went to Florida in June. Wow, what a long flight. But then I heard there were non-stops to India... :oops: