No voice calls on mobile devices on aircraft - comment until Feb. 13!

Hanna

No voice calls on mobile devices on aircraft - comment until Feb. 13!

Post by Hanna » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:50 am

If you would like to chatter everywhere and everyplace, with everyone within shouting distance envy your success, then skip this post.
Thank you

https://www.regulations.gov/searchResul ... ue&ns=true

Featured Result - Docket ID: DOT-OST-2014-0002
link iconOpen Docket Folder
Use of Mobile Wireless Devices for Voice Calls on Aircraft
Agency: Department of Transportation (DOT)

The Department of Transportation (DOT or Department) is seeking comment on whether it should adopt a rule to restrict voice communications on passengers´ mobile wireless devices on scheduled flights within, to and from the United States. The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) recently issued a notice of proposed rulemaking that if adopted would, among other things, create a pathway for airlines to permit the use of cell phones or other mobile wireless devices to make or receive calls onboard aircraft. DOT supports the FCC´s proposal to revise its rules in light of the technology available and to expand access to mobile wireless data services on board aircraft; however, under the Department´s aviation consumer protection authority and because of concerns raised, we are seeking comment on whether to ban voice calls on aircraft.

====

As if flying these days is a pleasurable experience. If travelers be allowed to shout above our heads - phone calls in public are always shouting since one does not see the face on the other side - be ready for more flight rage.

Wabash

Re: No voice calls on mobile devices on aircraft - comment until Feb. 13!

Post by Wabash » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:56 am

Ugh! SMS would be okay. Voice messages would not.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:40 am

The airlines could ban calls but I don't think it's within the FCC's or the DOT's power to do that. First Amendment and all that rubbish. Fake Constitution!
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:12 pm

They have a lot of leeway under the "flight safety" umbrella - they weigh the fact it could cause arguments/fights among passengers on one side with an individual's "need" to talk on the phone...similar to the shouting "fire!" in a crowded theater scenario...
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump