U.S. Troops Coming Home from Syria

Vilepagan

Re: U.S. Troops Coming Home from Syria

Postby Vilepagan » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:08 am

Bick wrote:Source of the post But history wouldn't repeat itself, right?

History didn't repeat itself...did it?

There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

Bick

Postby Bick » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:27 am

Vilepagan wrote:Source of the post History didn't repeat itself...did it?

Rather than guess, are you debating Echo's and my point that the now 2,000 trainers in Syria, the beginning of which first went there in 2014, doesn't have the makings of the same quagmires in Afghanistan, and Vietnam before it?

What's your point?

18echo
Oversight Committee

Postby 18echo » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:24 pm

Bick wrote:In 1961, JFK sent an add'l 500 military advisers to South Vietnam to aid the 700 that were sent there by Ike. By the end of the following year, there were 11,000 military "advisers" there.

But history wouldn't repeat itself, right?

“History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes...”

And I don't really believe this will be the last time we'll need to withdraw troops from Syria.
"Hoc spatium adsuesco assuesco pro profunda rhetoricam."

Vilepagan

Postby Vilepagan » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:48 pm

Bick wrote:Source of the post Rather than guess, are you debating Echo's and my point that the now 2,000 trainers in Syria, the beginning of which first went there in 2014, doesn't have the makings of the same quagmires in Afghanistan, and Vietnam before it?

My point is that this isn't anything like Vietnam, and never was.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

18echo
Oversight Committee

Postby 18echo » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:43 pm

Vilepagan wrote:Source of the post My point is that this isn't anything like Vietnam, and never was.

We have people who want us to keep those troops in Syria, if nothing else, to counter Russian influence in Syria and the surrounding region.
Toss in the Domino Theory and it starts to sound a lot like that catchy tune from the 1960's.

Bick

Postby Bick » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:46 pm

18echo wrote:Source of the post We have people who want us to keep those troops in Syria, if nothing else, to counter Russian influence in Syria and the surrounding region.
Toss in the Domino Theory and it starts to sound a lot like that catchy tune from the 1960's.

We have people who want to INCREASE the # of troops there. I'm thinking at least one of those was Jim Mattis

Vilepagan

Postby Vilepagan » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:35 am

18echo wrote:Source of the post Toss in the Domino Theory and it starts to sound a lot like that catchy tune from the 1960's.

Well, we've been at this for what...17 years now...how long did it take us to get stuck in Vietnam?

18echo
Oversight Committee

Postby 18echo » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:42 pm

Vilepagan wrote:Source of the post Well, we've been at this for what...17 years now...how long did it take us to get stuck in Vietnam?

It didn't take long, maybe four years.
The goal was to prop up the South Vietnamese gov't and make them stable against the North. To do that would have taken what we have been doing in Korea since 1950. NoWe eventually decided that South Vietnam was not worth that kind of effort, and now Vietnam makes our $150 Nike shoes with child labor at 33 cents an hour, and that is almost three times the minimum for state owned enterprise, so everybody wins.

The former president and secstate and many other appointees advocated ousting the gov't in Syria and installing a new one. That's why we started supporting and training the rebels in 2012. Fighting ISIS just made the program more palatable.

I'd rather not be conducting stability operations in Syria for the next 10-20 years, we're stretched kinda thin right now.

Return to “World”