Second blast rocks Russia..Winter Olympics dilemma

Parrotpaul

Second blast rocks Russia..Winter Olympics dilemma

Post by Parrotpaul » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:54 am

It looks as if bad guys are sending profound and deadly messages to the Russians...and certainly to many thousands of others from nations around the world...the Winter Olympics is due to run from February 7-23.

Should the American Olympic Committee continue to support our athletes going to this event, or should we withdraw from the 2014 Winter Olympics?

Reuters

(Reuters) - A bomb ripped apart a bus in Volgograd on Monday, killing 14 people in the second deadly attack blamed on suicide bombers in the southern Russian city in 24 hours and raising fears of Islamist attacks on the Winter Olympics.

President Vladimir Putin, who has staked his prestige on February's Sochi Games and dismissed threats from Chechen and other Islamist militants in the nearby North Caucasus, ordered tighter security nationwide after the morning rush-hour blast.

Investigators said they believed a male suicide bomber set off the blast, a day after a similar attack killed at least 17 in the main rail station of a city that serves as a gateway to the southern wedge of Russian territory bounded by the Black and Caspian Seas and the Caucasus mountains.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

SoMelo

Re: Second blast rocks Russia..Winter Olympics dilemma

Post by SoMelo » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:48 am

Let them go. Aside from all the money invested, these athletes have devoted their life for this opportunity.. This is what they've worked for, and they know the risks

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:52 am

Does what happened during the 1972 Munich Olympics have any impact on your position? I'm not convinced Russia can prevent an Olympic bombing. There are valid points to be considered for sending and for withdrawing...I'm still sifting.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

SoMelo

Post by SoMelo » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:17 am

I want to say the world learned from Munich and the world has definitely changed since then. Don't cower and give into them (then they've won). If my child had the opportunity to compete in the Olympics and it's something they really wanted, I would support their decision to go.

Zebra

Post by Zebra » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:13 am

My late brother had the opportunity. 1980 Games in Moscow as part of the wrestling team.Was supposed to be his last hurrah since UCLA dropped wrestling the year before. JC made that decision for him because of his disapproval of the Soviets going into Afghanistan. If the will to take down two and possibly more buildings and kill thounsdands of people is there, obviously, another Munich will happen somewhere someday ... :2cents:
Coach, you can call me a S.O.B. all you want. Just don't call me a little S.O.B. [-X

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:18 am

I think max may also have been thwarted at an Olympic athlete spot in 1980. He did run decent distance times, and UCLA won the NCAA track title in 1979...I think that was the year.
Last edited by Parrotpaul on Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zebra

Post by Zebra » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:20 am

That is correctomundo. :thumbsup:
Coach, you can call me a S.O.B. all you want. Just don't call me a little S.O.B. [-X

not4u13

Post by not4u13 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:53 am

Every nation should send their athletes but Putin needs to be more humble. For all practical purposes, he put forth a challenge and the terrorists of the world are taking him up on it. I cannot imagine how it is even possible to prevent a suicide bomber attack in and around the city. You can control venues and the Olympic village, but not the entire area where athletes and spectators will be.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com

Troglodyte

Post by Troglodyte » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:50 am

I would certainly hate to be looking the slightest bit hinky around Sochi between now and the closing of the Olympic village.. The Russian police, Mosaad, and a host of other security forces will probably shoot first and sort it out later.
I don't suffer from any mental illnesses.. I enjoy them..