Putin marches, Obama watches

Brooke

Post by Brooke » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:27 pm

Charles Krauthammer has written a fascinating article about what Putin is doing in Syria and Obama's response to it. I will post parts of it (in my own words and otherwise), however it is worth reading because it contains lots of information that we ordinary citizens don't have access to.

Bashar al-Assad, Syrian dictator and destroyer, was summoned to the Kremlin who is now Vladimir Putin’s newest pet. After four years in Damascus, Assad was summoned to Russia to bend a knee to Putin, to show the world that today Middle East questions get settled not in Washington but in Moscow, and officially bless the Russian-led four-nation takeover of Syria now underway.

Does the bewildered Obama administration finally understand what Russia is up to?
President Obama says Russia is doomed to fail in the Syrian quagmire. But Russia is not trying to reconquer the country for Assad. It is consolidating a rump Syrian state in the roughly 20 percent of the country he now controls, the Alawite areas stretching north and west from Damascus through Latakia and encompassing the Russian naval base at Tartus.
It’s a partition. It will leave the Islamic State in control in the interior north and east.

Putin’s larger strategy is also obvious. He is not reconstructing the old Soviet empire. That’s too large a task. But he is rebuilding and reasserting Russia’s ability to project power beyond its borders.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... story.html
Who in their right mind uses a welcome sign to mean people who would come into their home uninvited, paid by their neighbors who are using their illegal labor, overrun the neighborhood, and refuse to leave?

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Re: Putin marches, Obama watches

Post by John Q. Public » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:03 pm

...it contains lots of information that we ordinary citizens don't have access to.
Did Krauhammer hack Hillary's server or something?
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Brooke

Post by Brooke » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:14 pm

John, as I have pointed out before the rich and famous and professional journalists have access to expensive websites that we ordinary folks cannot afford. Like Lexis Nexis. Here is a link to a Lexis Nexis price list, it contains 151 pages.

http://www.lexisnexis.com/gsa/76/GSAPriceList.pdf
Who in their right mind uses a welcome sign to mean people who would come into their home uninvited, paid by their neighbors who are using their illegal labor, overrun the neighborhood, and refuse to leave?

Brooke

Post by Brooke » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:18 pm

Also some research websites can only be accessed via universities. Do you know a student who will give you their usernames and passwords?

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:51 pm

We can't afford to fix our infrastructure. We can't afford to properly educate our citizenry. We can't afford to do just about anything. So it stands to reason that we can't afford another idiotic war in the Middle East.

I have no problem watching Putin. I don't know why conservatives are so anxious for another war. We haven't paid for the last one yet.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Troglodyte

Post by Troglodyte » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:50 pm

Barak Obama has dropped to the third most powerful man in the world.
Behind Vladimir Putin #1 and Angela Merkel #2....Link
Great going, Barak..... further drops expected daily....
I don't suffer from any mental illnesses.. I enjoy them..

broman

Post by broman » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:02 pm

The horror.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:42 pm

I'm okay with that Trog. Being the most powerful is too expensive.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Brooke

Post by Brooke » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:51 pm

Wabash: We can't afford to fix our infrastructure. We can't afford to properly educate our citizenry. We can't afford to do just about anything. So it stands to reason that we can't afford another idiotic war in the Middle East.

I have no problem watching Putin. I don't know why conservatives are so anxious for another war. We haven't paid for the last one yet.
Of course we can afford to fix our infrastructure. It's a matter of priorities for politicians.

We most certainly can afford to educate our citizens, but a lot of folks object to the billions of dollars that are robbed from American citizens to educate illegal aliens and the children of illegal aliens. However, being a veteran having many conversations with you, that doesn't seem to concern you Wabash.

It's not just the cost of war, it is much more complicated than that. It's a matter of watching evil spread throughout the world while our president smugly ignores beheadings, slavery, murder, and terror of innocent victims. His latest contribution - to the war on terror - although he doesn't recognize a war on terror is to send 50 special operations troops to Syria. 50! :roll:

Brooke

Post by Brooke » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:52 pm

I'll bet money would be the last thought on your mind if ISIS was knocking on your door Wabash.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:34 pm

Let me know when that happens. Those Toyota pickups don't float.

Brooke

Post by Brooke » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:44 pm

I probably should have used the more likely scenario of the next time you board an airplane. ISIS is claiming responsibility for the downing of the Russian plane, but that has not been confirmed yet. There is no doubt that Islamic terrorists would love to bring down passenger planes. The more people they murder including babies and children, the better they like it.

Brooke

Post by Brooke » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:37 pm

Here is an explanation of Putin’s aggression so far.
Annexing Crimea restores to the motherland full control of the warm-water Black Sea port that Russia has coveted since Peter the Great. Shoring up a rump Alawite state secures Russia’s naval and air bases in the eastern Mediterranean. Add to that Russia’s launching of advanced cruise missiles from warships in the Caspian Sea to strike Syrian rebels 900 miles away and you have the most impressive display of Russian military reach since the Cold War.
And here is a blurb about Obama's illusory view of the world.
For Obama, of course, these things don’t matter. “In today’s world,” he told the U.N. last month, “the measure of strength is no longer defined by the control of territory.” That he clearly believes this fantasy was demonstrated by his total abandonment of Iraq, forfeiting U.S. bases from which we could have projected power in the region (most notably preventing, through control of Iraqi airspace, the Iranian rearming and reinforcement of Assad’s weakening regime).
Obama's statement should make everyone nervous. He is a world leader and if he actually believes what he says then thank god he doesn't have much time left in office. It is going to take a long time to undo all the damage he has done.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:02 am

Brooke wrote:I probably should have used the more likely scenario of the next time you board an airplane. ISIS is claiming responsibility for the downing of the Russian plane, but that has not been confirmed yet. There is no doubt that Islamic terrorists would love to bring down passenger planes. The more people they murder including babies and children, the better they like it.
I believe you. What's your point? You act like this is something new.

Brooke wrote:Here is an explanation of Putin’s aggression so far.
Annexing Crimea restores to the motherland full control of the warm-water Black Sea port that Russia has coveted since Peter the Great. Shoring up a rump Alawite state secures Russia’s naval and air bases in the eastern Mediterranean. Add to that Russia’s launching of advanced cruise missiles from warships in the Caspian Sea to strike Syrian rebels 900 miles away and you have the most impressive display of Russian military reach since the Cold War.
Let Putin waste massive amounts of money in stupid wars. We can't afford any more wars.
Brooke wrote:And here is a blurb about Obama's illusory view of the world.
For Obama, of course, these things don’t matter. “In today’s world,” he told the U.N. last month, “the measure of strength is no longer defined by the control of territory.” That he clearly believes this fantasy was demonstrated by his total abandonment of Iraq, forfeiting U.S. bases from which we could have projected power in the region (most notably preventing, through control of Iraqi airspace, the Iranian rearming and reinforcement of Assad’s weakening regime).
Obama's statement should make everyone nervous. He is a world leader and if he actually believes what he says then thank god he doesn't have much time left in office. It is going to take a long time to undo all the damage he has done.
Given the rise of non-state combatants, this is an accurate statement.

Brooke

Post by Brooke » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:15 pm

While Obama counts on the arc of the moral universe bending toward justice, Putin acts. As soon as the ink was dry on the Iran nuclear deal, Iran’s Maj. Gen. Qasem Soleimani flew to Moscow (a sanctions violation that we blithely ignored) to plan the multinational Syria campaign he is now directing. His Shiite expeditionary force is comprised of Iranian Revolutionary Guards, Iraqi Shiite militias and Lebanese Hezbollah fighting under the cover of Russian airpower.
How does anyone know who the enemy is in that country? There are so many different groups fighting there.
They are pounding non-Islamic State rebels, many equipped, trained and allegedly supported by the U.S. and Obama’s vaunted 60-nation coalition. What a comfort to be pulverized by 60 to 90 Russian airstrikes each day but to know that Belgium is with you.

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:34 pm

Yeah, much better to sit and watch all the factions kill each other... Putin is an opportunist... Obama is much more pragmatic. I like pragmatic.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:41 pm

I love how Obama critics have been desperately riding Putin's jock, hoping for a reach-around from him.

Imagine if Obama started military operations in, say, Elbonia, and a few weeks later a plane with over 200 Americans went down and Elbonian terrorists took credit. These same critics would be roasting Obama and holding him personally responsible for their deaths. They'd be enraged and the conservative media would fan the flames of the outrage 24-7.

And before anyone gets all atwitter over how the Russian Air Force is performing, you might remember how Baghdad Bob developed his style of reporting military engagements.

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:10 pm

One need only remember how supportive conservatives were when Clinton sent troops to the Balkans.

They immediately turned into the "I hate America" crowd. Based upon how they reacted to critics of Bush's unnecessary war in Iraq.

I'm sure Obama remembers and knows that no matter what he does he will be criticized. So why put troops in harms way unnecessarily.

crayegg
Oversight Committee

Post by crayegg » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:07 pm

Why put troops in harm's way unnecessarily, EVER, is a better question.

Brooke

Post by Brooke » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:08 pm

crayegg, are you making excuses for Obama's massive failures in the Middle East? How about all the American blood spilled in conquering Iraq and he gave it to the terrorists on a silver platter. Only he can't bring himself to call them terrorists.

I think the Obama administration knows exactly where the ISIS main headquarters are. In fact, I think that was a news report recently. My question is why don't they blow it and them to smithereens? Who needs troops on the ground? The U.S. has sophisticated weapons that can take them out instantly.