Top Iran leader killed by US airstrike.

Wabash

Re: Top Iran leader killed by US airstrike.

Post by Wabash » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:44 am

We should be seeing a whole new bunch of yellow stickers with demands that we support our feckless leader.

That seems to be the only constant with conservatives now.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:34 am

Soleimani was just one man. Are we supposed to believe that an entire government agency can't function without him or that it would function any differently? How would it change things if our CIA Director were killed?
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Hanna

Who is Maj. Gen. Qassem Suleimani, the man who stumped Trump? (Who's on First?)

Post by Hanna » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:29 am

From Sept 4, 2015

In an extraordinary interview on live radio this week, Donald Trump seemed to stumble when he landed in the Middle East.

It started when he was asked about Maj. Gen. Qassem Suleimani, the powerful and popular military officer who heads the elite Quds force of Iran’s Revolutionary Guard Corps.

“The Kurds ... have been horribly mistreated,” Trump suggested, prompting an exchange with radio host Hugh Hewitt that at times sounded a bit like a Laurel and Hardy routine.

“No, not the Kurds — the Quds forces, the Iranian Revolutionary Guards Quds forces,” Hewitt said. “The bad guys.”

“Oh, I thought you said Kurds, Kurds,” Trump said.

“No, Quds.”

Kurds, Quds: What should Trump know about Qassem Suleimani?

(snip)

“Many people would say he’s the most dangerous man in the world,” Hewitt told Trump in Thursday’s interview.

That seemed to trigger a flash of recognition.

“Is he the gentleman that was going back and forth with Russia and meeting with Putin?” he said, referring to the Russian president.

“That’s the guy,” Hewitt said.

“Not good,” Trump agreed.

Trump didn’t fare much better when it came to name recognition of many of the region’s other militant leaders, but dismissed such questions as “gotcha” tactics.

https://www.latimes.com/world/middleeas ... story.html

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:40 pm

We were asking for Iran's cooperation in ending development of their nuclear program...anyone wondering how this wag-the-dog move will affect that?
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:04 pm

broman

Post by broman » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:14 pm

Ben Van Heuvelen, the editor-in-chief of Iraq Oil Report, told Vox that Soleimani was a divisive figure who encapsulated the complex nature of the current Iraq-Iran relationship — and who represented what protesters are most incensed about when it comes to Iran’s influence on Iraqi politics.

For some Iraqis, Van Heuvelen said, Soleimani is an indispensable part of Iraq’s political scene: a trusted mediator, a powerful dealmaker, and a reliable force against the ISIS incursion in the region. For others, he represents Iran’s deep and longstanding meddling in Iraq. He’s also been directly involved in formulating the response to Iraq’s protest movement, in which government-backed forces have killed over 400 demonstrators.

“Even those Iraqis who are happy to see him gone are probably unhappy about the manner in which he was killed,” Van Heuvelen told Vox. “Over the past three months, one major grievance expressed by Iraq’s protest movement is that the political class has failed to establish a strong sovereign state and has allowed Iraq to be a battleground for US and Iranian proxy conflict.

Van Heuvelen added, “So, for the demonstrators, Soleimani has been something of a villain — the personification of Iranian meddling — yet the American assassination of Soleimani is also a painful symbol of Iraq’s humiliating loss of sovereignty.”

Van Heuvelen added, “So, for the demonstrators, Soleimani has been something of a villain — the personification of Iranian meddling — yet the American assassination of Soleimani is also a painful symbol of Iraq’s humiliating loss of sovereignty.
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... protesters

Weak central government, foreign influence, militias and terror groups... Ive seen this movie before in Syria and Iraq post Saddam. Oh, don't forget about the Kurds and Turks fighting in the north.

Wabash

Re: Who is Maj. Gen. Qassem Suleimani, the man who stumped Trump? (Who's on First?)

Post by Wabash » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:53 am

Watching the blabbering heads on Sunday TV this morning. One of them brought up an interesting point.

Given this man's stature in the Iranian government there is a high probability of retaliation directed at someone of a similar level. The US has hundreds of senior level officers in commands spread around the globe. They can't all be protected like the POTUS. They all have targets on them thanks to the Commander in Chief.
Last edited by Wabash on Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Hanna

Re: Who is Maj. Gen. Qassem Suleimani, the man who stumped Trump? (Who's on First?)

Post by Hanna » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:13 am

Plus, if there are already plans of attacks by Iran, this means that they can go on as planned. That there is no need for a new leader. Too much reminding of the WMD from Bush jr.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:08 pm

Merging the parallel threads.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:06 pm

An interesting article in the South China Morning Post.

Instead of targeting American leadership figures. Trump has a HUGE Achilles heel.

His properties.

How would he react to his hotels being blown up on foreign soil?

Would the US be obligated to provide security?

Who would want to stay at them?

Are they insured? Would he be covered? Could the policies be dropped?

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:41 pm

Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Mark Milley said he believes Iran’s attacks on air bases in Iraq on Wednesday were intended to kill Americans and that advance intelligence enabled troops to take cover.

Some news reports earlier in the day suggested that the Pentagon believed Iran deliberately avoided harming U.S. troops.

The absence of casualties “has more to do with the defensive techniques our forces used than it does with intent,” Milley added. “Al-Asad is a big base. They put 11 large rockets with 1,000-pound, 2,000-pound warheads in it, but we took sufficient defensive measures."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/jo ... ar-BBYLfEx

Can you just imagine the ****storm raised by all the GOP drama queens and talking heads if after such an attack Obama had simply announced "All is well"...such craven hypocrites
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

Donald Trump

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:58 pm

Wow, a couple brave Republicans showing some heretofore-nonexistent backbone...could this be the start of a trend? This after the Congressional "briefing" by the Trump team:

Sen. Mike Lee, R-Utah, said, "I had hoped and expected to receive more information outlining the legal, factual and moral justification for the attack and left somewhat unsatisfied on that front." He added, "it was probably the worst briefing I've seen at least on a military issue in the nine years I've served in the United States Senate."

"I find this insulting and demeaning," he said, adding that he now plans to vote in favor of a new war powers resolution from Democratic Sen. Tim Kaine of Virginia. "That briefing changed my mind," he said.

[Sen. Rand] Paul concurred, saying, "Today, this is Sen. Lee and I saying, we are not abdicating our duty."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... ar-BBYL4Pu
George Will

Donald Trump

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:33 pm

Omar Bongo wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:41 pm
The absence of casualties “has more to do with the defensive techniques our forces used than it does with intent,” Milley added. “Al-Asad is a big base. They put 11 large rockets with 1,000-pound, 2,000-pound warheads in it, but we took sufficient defensive measures."
Know what would prevent all casualties?

Getting the eff out!! Which we should have never been there in the first place.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:22 pm

Would I be an Ayatollah sympathizer if I don't change the name of the board to "Freedom Forums?"

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:45 pm

Change the board motto to "Where All is Well, All the Time"
George Will

Donald Trump

Tommy Tar

Post by Tommy Tar » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:36 pm

Missiles fall harmless in the desert miles from empty US bases. Iran news say 30,000 American dead. All show. Iranian civilians leaders wanted Soleimani gone more than the US did.
‘I Haven’t Seen Democrats This Mad Since We Freed the Slaves!’..... Rob Schneider.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:22 pm

You base that on what? If they wanted him gone, they should have done it themselves and not implicated us. Since that wasn't the case, I don't believe he was as unpopular as is being claimed.
Last edited by Wabash on Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:30 pm

Tommy Tar wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:36 pm
Missiles fall harmless in the desert miles from empty US bases...
Funny....NPR was posting pictures of the buildings destroyed AT the airbase. Your contention appears to be totally without value.
Iran news say 30,000 American dead. All show. Iranian civilians leaders wanted Soleimani gone more than the US did.
About as valuable as what you wrote earlier.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:27 pm

He figures if just making **** up works with Trump drones it will work here too...wrong

George Will

Donald Trump

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:46 am

For @Tommy Tar.

But I'll add that it isn't "the civilian government." It's just civilians. And not all civilians. Just the liberal, educated, cosmopolitan elite, if you will. There's still a very large segment of the population who would never criticize the regime or the Supreme Leader.