Top 4 Olympic gaffes... So far

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Top 4 Olympic gaffes... So far

Post by John Q. Public » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:52 pm

1. London mayor Ken Livingstone invited British sprinter Linford Christie to run in the Olympic torch relay through London. Christie was banned for life by the British Olympic Association for using steroids. Livingstone retracted the invitation.

2. Before a Field Hockey match between South Africa and Great Britain in one of the warm-up events, they played Die Stem, South Africa's old national anthem from the apartheid era. Some of the players didn't even recognize it. The Olympic Committee apologized.

3. The Royal Mint has issued commemorative gold coins, embossed with the names of the Greek Gods, like Jupiter, Mars and Minerva.... Except those are their Roman names. Here's one of Neptune, or Poseidon as he was known around Mount Olympus.
Neptune.jpg
Neptune.jpg (18.73 KiB) Viewed 1025 times
4. The Olympic Committee contacted Bill Curbishley, The Who's manager, to see if Keith Moon would be available to play in the opening ceremonies. Curbishley emailed them back, saying "Keith now resides in Golders Green Crematorium, having lived up to The Who's anthemic line, 'Hope I die before I get old.'" But, he added "If you have a round table, some glasses and candles, we might contact him."
Don't look at me, I just work here.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Re: Top 4 Olympic gaffes... So far

Post by John Q. Public » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:58 pm

5. London Olympic organizers have apologized to North Korea after mistakenly displaying South Korea's flag before a women's football match.

North Korea refused to take the field after the error, delaying the start of their match Wednesday against Colombia by more than an hour. The North Korean team went on to win the game 2-0.

http://blogs.voanews.com/breaking-news/ ... lag-error/
Don't look at me, I just work here.

18echo
Oversight Committee

Post by 18echo » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:35 am

John Q. Public wrote:4. The Olympic Committee contacted Bill Curbishley, The Who's manager, to see if Keith Moon would be available to play in the opening ceremonies. Curbishley emailed them back, saying "Keith now resides in Golders Green Crematorium, having lived up to The Who's anthemic line, 'Hope I die before I get old.'" But, he added "If you have a round table, some glasses and candles, we might contact him."
Sorry so late on this one:

He's passed on!
This drummer is no more!
He has ceased to be!
He's expired and gone to meet his maker!
He's a stiff!
Bereft of life,
He rests in peace!
He's pushing up the daisies!
His metabolic processes are a matter of interest only to historians!
He's off the twig!
He's kicked the bucket,
He's shuffled off his mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!!
THIS IS AN EX-DRUMMER!!
"Hoc spatium adsuesco assuesco pro profunda rhetoricam."

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:00 am

Ahh...a former drummer...I can't ever see Keith Moon as an ex-drummer. :D
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:06 am

I was a big fan of The Who. I didn't get to see them until after Moon died.

Their bassist John Entwistle died of a drug overdose in room at the Hard Rock Hotel in Las Vegas.

Can't think of a better way for a rock and roll star to check out.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.