Are there any alternatives to NBC?

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Are there any alternatives to NBC?

Post by John Q. Public » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:32 am

Their "coverage" just sucks. I have a house full of foreigners and they have no interest in watching bits and pieces of events Americans are competing in, replays of Americans doing well, human interest stories about American athletes or "live" tape delayed coverage of what celebrities are tweeting about the Olympics. They want to watch Sports.

I heard that there were some websites streaming coverage but damned if I can remember where they are. Anybody know of anything? Or are any of NBC's other channels any better than Channel 4? We'll all huddle around the laptop if we have to. We're desperate.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Parrotpaul

Re: Are there any alternatives to NBC?

Post by Parrotpaul » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:35 am

Hit a sports bar...easiest way out...plus food and beer delivered.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

SLK230

Post by SLK230 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:09 pm

Directv has a few different feeds.
Thought for the day:
We are always hearing about how Social Security is going to run out of money.
How come we never hear about Welfare running out of money?

THETRUTH

Post by THETRUTH » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:25 pm

John Q. Public wrote:Their "coverage" just sucks. I have a house full of foreigners and they have no interest in watching bits and pieces of events Americans are competing in, replays of Americans doing well, human interest stories about American athletes or "live" tape delayed coverage of what celebrities are tweeting about the Olympics. They want to watch Sports.

I heard that there were some websites streaming coverage but damned if I can remember where they are. Anybody know of anything? Or are any of NBC's other channels any better than Channel 4? We'll all huddle around the laptop if we have to. We're desperate.

1. Differet Countries have different feeds that cover those specific countries or regions.

2. You live in the US, so you get the US feed

3. NBC bought the rights, if you dislike their coverage buy it yourself next time or move to another country

4. I do agree, the coverage is sub-par in terms of the human interest stories played about 3X each already.

5. Ryan Seecrest needs to stay away from sports, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THETRUTH

Post by THETRUTH » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:27 pm

Parrotpaul wrote:Hit a sports bar...easiest way out...plus food and beer delivered.

One can always find a good reason to visit a sports bar!

SoMelo

Post by SoMelo » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:35 pm

THETRUTH wrote:

:eh?: Really? :puke:

THETRUTH

Post by THETRUTH » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:39 pm

SoMelo wrote: :eh?: Really? :puke:
Yes, he comes off bad and in general has no confidence with the athletes during his interviews.

barstow wiz

Post by barstow wiz » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:52 pm

SLK230 wrote:Directv has a few different feeds.
as does directv.
:)

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:56 pm

THETRUTH wrote: 1. Differet Countries have different feeds that cover those specific countries or regions.

3. NBC bought the rights, if you dislike their coverage buy it yourself next time or move to another country

4. I do agree, the coverage is sub-par in terms of the human interest stories played about 3X each already.
I heard that some of the foreign channels on some systems have their own coverage but it would have to be the network that got the contract for that country. Verizon offers one Romanian channel but the Foreign Babe says it's the one nobody watches, so we never subscribed.

I watched a little tennis on Bravo and some soccer on Univision, but then I saw that the Hungarian GP was on the Speed Channel. So much for the Olympics.

NBC's coverage is like watching a football game where they only show 4th downs. I want to see sports. I don't want to see all the other crap.
Is that the guy with the fauxhawk? If it is, I agree. (Sorry. I never watched whatever show he was on.)
Don't look at me, I just work here.

LanceSterling

Post by LanceSterling » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:49 am

THETRUTH

Post by THETRUTH » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:56 am

John Q. Public wrote: I heard that some of the foreign channels on some systems have their own coverage but it would have to be the network that got the contract for that country. Verizon offers one Romanian channel but the Foreign Babe says it's the one nobody watches, so we never subscribed.

I watched a little tennis on Bravo and some soccer on Univision, but then I saw that the Hungarian GP was on the Speed Channel. So much for the Olympics.

NBC's coverage is like watching a football game where they only show 4th downs. I want to see sports. I don't want to see all the other crap.

Is that the guy with the fauxhawk? If it is, I agree. (Sorry. I never watched whatever show he was on.)
Bits and pieces, that is for the most part coverage has turned into. Luckily Seecrest is just doing the human inerest srories and those have become breaks away from the TV for me. MSMBC, CNBC, Bravo and NBCSP are showing more than just Amercan competition, but good ole NBC pretty much just shows US stuff, which it should, but like you said, I want to see sports, not interviews!

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:41 am

I'm anxiously awaiting more Michelle Beadle...she was on testerday with Dan Patrick.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Hanna

Post by Hanna » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:14 pm

THETRUTH wrote:

1. Differet Countries have different feeds that cover those specific countries or regions.

when I watched the "queen jumping off the helicopter" there was another video and I had a message that I could not watch it in "my country."

And now some are mad at NBC because instead of covering the memorial of the victims of the terrorist attack in London on July 7, 2005, NBC had a cover about another 7 - Michael Phelps. NBC says that it is there to cover the American athletes.

:thumbsdown: