Are the Olympics boring?

We are O Lu

Are the Olympics boring?

Post by We are O Lu » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:56 pm

Maybe I am just getting old but it seemed to me as if they Olympics were more exciting
in the past. I think the professional atheletes have taken away part of the excitement.

Also I miss Jim McKay. The announcers don't have any fire.

Lastly it seems if you already know who is going to win.

Enough gymnastics and swimming. What happened to the days of the heavyweight
Cuban boxers vs the USA. I thought the coverage was awful this year.

Take care and enjoy the closing ceremonies.

My best,
We are O Lu
Wolves

SoMelo

Re: Are the Olympics boring?

Post by SoMelo » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:25 pm

I pretty much only watched it at work. They setup a large conference room with a 70" tv, comfy chairs and snacks (beat the hell out of working :thumbsup: )

'"

SoMelo

Post by SoMelo » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:47 pm

I do have a suggestion for NBC - During the award ceremony it would be nice if you ran subtitles of the other countries National Anthem. I'm sure some would be lost in translation, but it would still be nice. I still want to burst out singing "My County 'tis of Thee" every time I hear "God Save the Queen"

barstow wiz

Post by barstow wiz » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:10 pm

i'm not much into them. judo and wrestling are all i'm interested in and they don't get much play.
:)

THETRUTH

Post by THETRUTH » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:04 am

SoMelo wrote:I do have a suggestion for NBC - During the award ceremony it would be nice if you ran subtitles of the other countries National Anthem. I'm sure some would be lost in translation, but it would still be nice. I still want to burst out singing "My County 'tis of Thee" every time I hear "God Save the Queen"

Doesn't the fact that it is being played with a Union Jack flying or in the presence of HRH the Queen or in the past or future the King give you a hint?

SoMelo

Post by SoMelo » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:30 am

Sure, but I don't know the words to it. Add sub-titles and I'll sing my heart out! I'd like to know the words to the Russian one too, they never look happy and they don't sing it (someone's gotta \:D/ ).

THETRUTH

Post by THETRUTH » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:47 am

SoMelo wrote:Sure, but I don't know the words to it. Add sub-titles and I'll sing my heart out! I'd like to know the words to the Russian one too, they never look happy and they don't sing it (someone's gotta \:D/ ).
I heard it played 19 times in four days, not fun, it is nice music, but you must understand that Russian sport is run by mobsters, which for te most part our communist mandate followers, pretty much like Putin really is. There are some of their sports federation leaders that can not go to international meets abroad because they are not allowed in the country, including the US. The anthem in communist, written during WWII, thus I am sure it still has some very negative feelings among honest Russians.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=you ... FORM=VIRE2

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:30 am

I enjoyed the Olympics. It's the only reality TV I can watch for any length of time.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

We are O Lu

Post by We are O Lu » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:53 pm

Wabash wrote:I enjoyed the Olympics. It's the only reality TV I can watch for any length of time.
How many different swim strokes are there...at how many distances? To much diving. Nobody knows squat about diving. Show us the good stuff!

pattywannamack

Post by pattywannamack » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:16 pm

Well as someone who likes the less traditional sports (Swimming, Triathlon, and Cycling mainly) I find the Olympics to be very enjoyable to watch.

Having said that, I also enjoy watching a few other sports that I would never dream of going out of my way to follow (like Kayaking, Horseback riding, Wrestling, and a few other random ones) so I personally really like the Olympics and find them to be very exciting.
There is nothing uglier in this world than a parent riding on the success of their child.

pattywannamack

Post by pattywannamack » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:19 pm

Also, an interesting fact that I found.
The 31 medals that American swimmers won in the pool were more than every country that participated in the Olympic Games aside from China, Russia, Great Britain, Germany, Japan, Australia and France.
Basically, our swim team gets more medals than entire countries do.
There is nothing uglier in this world than a parent riding on the success of their child.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:55 pm

The Olympics aren't boring, the coverage is. Somehow, NBC (with help from the IOC) has taken the world's greatest sporting event and made it almost unwatchable.

And what in the hell has happened to the US in wrestling??? I'm a Gable. The US not dominating in the sport is not acceptable.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

THETRUTH

Post by THETRUTH » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:10 am

John Q. Public wrote:The Olympics aren't boring, the coverage is. Somehow, NBC (with help from the IOC) has taken the world's greatest sporting event and made it almost unwatchable.

And what in the hell has happened to the US in wrestling??? I'm a Gable. The US not dominating in the sport is not acceptable.

Didn't Gable wrestle in 1972, 40 year ago and does not coach anymore.

He was in London, but people move on, he has a handful of daughters that have provided him grandchildren. I wonder if his remarks during the '72 Olympics keeps him off the telecats. He was inducted to the IOC Hall of Fame at the Games this year.
Last edited by THETRUTH on Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

barstow wiz

Post by barstow wiz » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:14 am

John Q. Public wrote:The Olympics aren't boring, the coverage is. Somehow, NBC (with help from the IOC) has taken the world's greatest sporting event and made it almost unwatchable.

i'm not really into self induced pride as a result of performance in the olympics. i don't really care if us atheletes win or foreign atheletes win. i just enjoy studying those that dominate, regardless of country of origin. maybe that comes from me learning martial arts in a foreign country. :shrug:
:)

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:18 am

THETRUTH wrote:

Didn't Gable wrestle in 1972, 4o years ago and does not even coach anymore?
Yes. Built an incredible dynasty as coach of Iowa State.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:33 am

THETRUTH wrote: Didn't Gable wrestle in 1972, 40 year ago and does not coach anymore.
He's retired but wrestling is (was?) a cultural thing in Iowa, especially. I'd think that they'd still be very strong in the sport. Surely one guy couldn't have made that big of a difference - or could he?
Don't look at me, I just work here.

THETRUTH

Post by THETRUTH » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:35 am

Wabash wrote: Yes. Built an incredible dynasty as coach of Iowa State.
Acually he is the about the thrid or fourth best wrestler in Iowa State history, but did not build a dynasty there.

You and John need to study up on your college and Olympic sports history. Gable, while a very good college coach and certainly has won more NCAA D-I team titles than almost any other coach in the last 40 years, retired trailing a guy that coached part-time while teaching junior high school.

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:46 am

THETRUTH wrote:
Acually he is the about the thrid or fourth best wrestler in Iowa State history, but did not build a dynasty there.
Besides Sanderson who would be ahead of him?
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch

THETRUTH

Post by THETRUTH » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:56 am

Notorious wrote: Besides Sanderson who would be ahead of him?
Do your own homework scrub!

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:02 am

THETRUTH wrote:
Do your own homework scrub!
Or just give me your opinion, and no need for namecalling around these parts.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch