Medal Count

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Re: Medal Count

Post by John Q. Public » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:53 pm

Omar Bongo wrote:Olympic skier's topless photos cause storm in Lebanon
Well, she can kiss that Hezbollah endorsement deal good-bye.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:01 pm

Which lends new meaning to the term "missile deployment"
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

RedFred

Post by RedFred » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:10 am

Let's go USA.....
Bieber.jpg

not4u13

Post by not4u13 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:34 am

I heard that Al Roker made a suggestion that if am athlete is paid to play in the US, they should be required to play for the US in the Olympics. Interesting idea, but I don't think that would fly.

Although I do see the point. Sure there are many leagues in other countries but the pro leagues here tend to draw the best talent, at least for Olympic team sports where we actually have pro leagues. When you play against the best, it makes you better.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com

not4u13

Post by not4u13 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:19 pm

And it ends.

Russia ends up on top no matter how you count. The host country always gets a medal boost, much like having home field advantage.

If you count gold as the way to rank, US finished fourth. If you count totals, we wind up second.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:37 am

The only event I watched this Olympics was the US/Canadian hockey game. Unfortunately for the US NHL contingent, the Canadian NHL contingent took the US to the cleaners, and by the end of that game Canada had kicked the crap out of the highest scoring team in the early rounds.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:34 pm

Huh? The final score was 1-0 :eh?:
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:08 pm

You are correct...it was Finland who destroyed the USA 5-0.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

perspixx

Post by perspixx » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:04 am

Pretty clear that the US had given up on the bronze medal game. There were there to win gold and once that was no longer a possibility, it was basically the equivalent of the Holiday Bowl. Shame that the two best teams in the tournament had to face each other in the semi finals instead of the gold medal game

not4u13

Post by not4u13 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:24 am

US Men's Hockey got a tough draw that put them in the same bracket with Canada and Russia. I think they tried for the bronze through the first but their heart wasn't in it.