USA-Canada Womens Hockey For the Gold

Parrotpaul

USA-Canada Womens Hockey For the Gold

Post by Parrotpaul » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:26 pm

Is anyone watching this game? These women play for keeps...hard-hitting, hard skating, and no one is afraid to mix it up. If you aren't watching you are missing one helluva hockey game...Canada leads in the second period 2-0. It's being broadcast on MSNBC.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

RedFlag

Re: USA-Canada Womens Hockey For the Gold

Post by RedFlag » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:28 pm

Parrotpaul wrote:Is anyone watching this game? These women play for keeps...hard-hitting, hard skating, and no one is afraid to mix it up. If you aren't watching you are missing one helluva hockey game...Canada leads in the second period 2-0. It's being broadcast on MSNBC.
Great game but not going well for the US ladies. Failure to score with the Canadians two down for a minute and a half was not a good omen.
"When it absolutely, positively needs to be blown up now ... call a JTAC"

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:44 pm

Canadian women were tough. USA got outplayed in all facets of the game, but they should be proud. They still get to wear a silver medal.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:12 pm

Great game to watch for real hockey fans. Both goalies were outstanding. These two teams were so much better than the other teams in the Games it's ridiculous.

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:57 pm

They should definitely get rid of this as an olympic sport.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch

SoMelo

Post by SoMelo » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:04 pm

Notorious wrote:They should definitely get rid of this as an olympic sport.
My vote is ice dancing... I know, you like male ice dancing. :roll:

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:44 pm

Notorious wrote:They should definitely get rid of this as an olympic sport.
Why?

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:47 pm

MDDad wrote:
Why?
Noncompetitive besides US and Canada really, same reason they took softball out.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:28 pm

Notorious wrote: Noncompetitive besides US and Canada really, same reason they took softball out.
Well, that would certainly demotivate the other nations from getting better, wouldn't it? Do you think the IOC should remove all sports that are dominated by two or three countries? Should the Summer Olympics exclude all men's races over 1,500 meters, since they are dominated by Kenya and Ethiopia? Or should they have removed boxing, when the Cubans were winning virtually every gold medal? If you think about it some more, I hope you'll agree your solution is not the right one, and that it would actually hurt competitive equity more than help it.

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:58 pm

MDDad wrote:
Well, that would certainly demotivate the other nations from getting better, wouldn't it? Do you think the IOC should remove all sports that are dominated by two or three countries? Should the Summer Olympics exclude all men's races over 1,500 meters, since they are dominated by Kenya and Ethiopia? Or should they have removed boxing, when the Cubans were winning virtually every gold medal? If you think about it some more, I hope you'll agree your solution is not the right one, and that it would actually hurt competitive equity more than help it.
I don't care much about promoting competitive equity but if you're going to remove softball you have to remove women's hockey, that was my point.

Logic.in.LN

Post by Logic.in.LN » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:41 pm

All I can say to the IOC and the media is...

... Lighten up Francis.

Medals, yes, fun, no: Olympic thought police take aim at champagne-chugging Canadian women
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former”
– Albert Einstein

Government - If you think the problems we create are bad, jut wait until you see our solutions.

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:46 pm

Logic.in.LN wrote:All I can say to the IOC and the media is...

... Lighten up Francis.

Medals, yes, fun, no: Olympic thought police take aim at champagne-chugging Canadian women
I'll light their cigars. Those women don't have mansions to go to or sportscars to drive or pro hockey teams to make tons of money like their male counterparts....this is the end for them...let them celebrate. They earned it.

Logic.in.LN

Post by Logic.in.LN » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:29 pm

Parrotpaul wrote: I'll light their cigars. Those women don't have mansions to go to or sportscars to drive or pro hockey teams to make tons of money like their male counterparts....this is the end for them...let them celebrate. They earned it.
... and they are hockey players. Who is going to tell them no. =D>
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former”
– Albert Einstein

Government - If you think the problems we create are bad, jut wait until you see our solutions.

pshaw

Post by pshaw » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:44 pm

I think they got it right. If you want to guzzle booze and smoke cigars, fine, just do it somewhere else, not out on the ice. What's the problem?

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:37 pm

pshaw wrote:I think they got it right. If you want to guzzle booze and smoke cigars, fine, just do it somewhere else, not out on the ice. What's the problem?
The problem is that no one was really there to see it. Had the IoC let it pass, no one would have been the wiser. The spectators had already cleared the building, it was basically a private party, who cares if they want to smoke cigars and drink beer after they worked their whole lives to win a gold medal for their country at their home games. If they don't deserve to celebrate then no one ever really does.

pshaw

Post by pshaw » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:58 pm

Notorious wrote: The problem is that no one was really there to see it. Had the IoC let it pass, no one would have been the wiser. The spectators had already cleared the building, it was basically a private party, who cares if they want to smoke cigars and drink beer after they worked their whole lives to win a gold medal for their country at their home games. If they don't deserve to celebrate then no one ever really does.
Not true - people were there to see it, and someone took pictures and posted them on the net. That forced the IOC's hand.

I don't think anyone's saying they shouldn't celebrate. But if you think that the IOC or COC can just do nothing when pictures of athletes (especially an underage one) boozing it up on the field of play are front page news, well I would imagine that various Olympic sponsors might disagree with you...

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:14 pm

pshaw wrote: Not true - people were there to see it, and someone took pictures and posted them on the net. That forced the IOC's hand.

I don't think anyone's saying they shouldn't celebrate. But if you think that the IOC or COC can just do nothing when pictures of athletes (especially an underage one) boozing it up on the field of play are front page news, well I would imagine that various Olympic sponsors might disagree with you...
No, media was there to see it. Not spectators was my point, sorry for not being more clear but I thought that would be obvious. There was exactly one underage drinker on the ice, and she becomes of legal age in a friggin' month. Like I said it's being blown out of proportion, they should deserve to celebrate how they want after achieving something special.

pshaw

Post by pshaw » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:40 pm

Notorious wrote: No, media was there to see it. Not spectators was my point, sorry for not being more clear but I thought that would be obvious. There was exactly one underage drinker on the ice, and she becomes of legal age in a friggin' month. Like I said it's being blown out of proportion, they should deserve to celebrate how they want after achieving something special.
Spectators, media, what's the difference? And anyway, once the photos got out that became moot...I thought that would be obvious.

I don't know why you and some others are making this out to be some big conspiracy to stop the girls from celebrating their victory...

Gilbert Felli, the IOC's executive director of the Olympic Games: "If they celebrate in the changing room, that's one thing," he said, "but not in public."

Jayna Hefford, team member and four-time Olympian: "I guess we just got carried away with the celebration. We should have left it in the dressing room."

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:17 pm

Bringing out the larger version of my old MyOC avatar for the IOC, COC and whoever the "journalist" was who published the pictures:

[attachment=0]NO-FUN.GIF[/attachment]

Killjoys!
Attachments
NO-FUN.GIF
NO-FUN.GIF (5.57 KiB) Viewed 1131 times
Don't look at me, I just work here.

ND7

Post by ND7 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:34 pm

At least you haven't lost your sense of humor JQ. :ROFL:
"What matters is not that it's true, but that I believe it; or no, not that I believe it, but that I believe it....I trust I make myself obscure."
St. Thomas More, A Man for All Seasons.