Word of warning

Board news and lame excuses
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Re: Word of warning

Postby John Q. Public » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:02 pm

e. rosewater wrote:So why do some get warnings for personal attacks and others do not?

I get a warning for calling Dave "fat boy" after he refers to me as Dim Sum. I'm told he really is fat. So it's not like I would be lying or saying something that isn't true.

Could you please give guidance on what is considered offensive and what is not?

I think I'll let Dave answer that. Or maybe one of the handful of other people who have had multiple warnings, multiple times. There must be a secret to attaining membership in such an elite group and I'm sure the other 900 or so other members who have never had even a single warning would love to know what it is.

Don't look at me, I just work here.

GOODave

Postby GOODave » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:30 am

John Q. Public wrote:I think I'll let Dave answer that. Or maybe one of the handful of other people who have had multiple warnings, multiple times. There must be a secret to attaining membership in such an elite group and I'm sure the other 900 or so other members who have never had even a single warning would love to know what it is.

Seems to me er and I, specifically, have gotten a lot of latitude. In the past, I've been told that er (in his more lucid moments) adds a certain "color" or "character" to the community and it has been my own observation that if his behavior wasn't so antagonistic, some of his points would make some sense. But I do not think it can be rightly asserted that "some get warnings and some do not" for similar offenses. Sometimes, JQP has called me out publically, sometimes, he sends me a PM ... but I have been warned, whether or not anyone else knows of it. Further, and FTR, I have self-banned for periods of time on several occassions when I've felt (or when JQP has told me) the acrimony has gotten too pervasive.

I've said more than once that JQP is our host and this is his place: IF he chooses to pink me for a reason I believe unfair or unreasonable ... or pink me or met out any other discipline to me that I think is outside of the "rules" that are established here, I have a couple of alternatives: Address it with him privately and reasonably and if he changes his mind, so much the better ... but if he won't change his mind, my alternatives are to put up with it or leave. His place, his rules, and his interpretations of his rules. JQP does this on a volunteer basis, lest we forget.

BTW, er, I didn't attach any significance or meaning to the term "dim sum." When I wrote that post, I was reminiscing about a group of co-workers I used to hang out with back in the 90's: This part of Illinois doesn't even know what Dim Sum is, but back in the 90's, Monterey Park and the surrounding cities had a lot of Dim Sum restaurants and one of our co-workers at the time was an immigrant from China: She used to take us to a new restaurant every couple of weeks. I was missing the Dim Sum so that term worked its way into my post to you. JQP just told me what the term actually means. don't get me wrong, there are other names I've used for you to which I HAVE attached meaning ... that was just not one of them.

The term "fat boy" means nothing to me: Bev started all of that about my weight because she saw a photo of my upper body with my daughter on my lap and thought I was overweight. Sorry I had to remove our faces, but I don't trust what some in here will do with photos ... but this is the photo she saw that was taken back in 2004:

CA 2004026.JPG
CA 2004026.JPG (29.17 KiB) Viewed 332 times

Also, I really was overweight when I met Fordama and Parrotpaul for beers back in 2003 or 2004 (whenever that was). If you want to follow Bev's lead, be my guest. I know you think it bothers me so if you and joe get your jollies with it, I suppose it keeps you off other people's backs and that has been a lot of my purpose with you guys, anyway (as I've also explained several times).

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:26 am

And we're back to being a Boring Bastion of Conservatism. No offense to the Conservatives, but the place gets really dull when we lose a dissenting voice.

I've given a number of warnings lately and the question I'm asked most often is, "How come such-and-such can say it and I can't?" The answer in almost all of the cases is, "Because I didn't see such-and-such's post." I'm not here as much as most people and I can't see everything. One person "getting away with" something doesn't make it right and it doesn't preclude the rest of us from following the rules of common decency. Sorry, guys, but I don't have a "Nastybot" to help me. You might get away with breaking a rule or you might not. I'm sure most of us would prefer that you don't even try.

oceanvue

Postby oceanvue » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:32 am

crayegg wrote:
Directed to oceanvue:

Luv your new Icon, though you will always be the Head to me.

You crack me up, dude. :thumbsup:

This is just a loner head the temp agency sent over. the real head is in the shop for repairs and getting freshly coiffed I expect to have it back by early next week with that new car smell

GOODave

Postby GOODave » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:14 am

John Q. Public wrote:And we're back to being a Boring Bastion of Conservatism. No offense to the Conservatives, but the place gets really dull when we lose a dissenting voice.

Once upon a time, Paul and I disagreed on almost everything ... but we kept it civil.
SLK230 and I disagree on everything "religion" and are still respectful of each other.
Fordama and I both disagree AND get acrimonious at each other, yet still maintain a semblance of decorum.

I don't think we're ever in danger of becoming a boring bastion of conservatism (or a boring bastion of liberal zeal, either, for that matter). People choose where they go and what they do when they get there. ThomasDad moved and, so, no longer had much of an interest in Orange County. Foghorn had an interest early on but hasn't been around much (though I agree that both of them added immeasurably to this community, even though we seldom agreed).

I understand your angst at people leaving.

But there is nothing you can do about it from "their choice" perspective. You can control this environment to an extent, but people will still get upset at your choices: It's almost unavoidable.

Just keep doing what you're doing. Ebb and flow ... it all equals out eventually.

John Q. Public wrote:I've given a number of warnings lately and the question I'm asked most often is, "How come such-and-such can say it and I can't?" The answer in almost all of the cases is, "Because I didn't see such-and-such's post."
I've got to say, John, this kind of statement has always made me uncomfortable.

I've got a very good friend who works with Campus Crusade for Christ. I'm on his mailing list and every once in a great while, he has to drum up more support because his family situation changed, or because his core supporters have dropped off or whatever. So he sends out a newsletter that I KNOW with surety makes him uncomfortable: Basically, he's asking for money and he doesn't like that part of his role.

I tell him to not even try to excuse it: He needs money to keep doing what he's doing and that newsletter is one of the tools at his disposal to accomplish that goal. He no more has to come to [us] with hat in hand than he has to perform some magic tricks in order to get our support. He is aligned with God and that, alone, should be sufficient reason for us to decide whether or not to support him. Of course, he treats my admonishment as I expect you will treat it:

You don't owe anyone an explanation for anything. Those of us who, ahem, infrequently misbehave in here KNOW what we're doing. Most of us don't get away with much before you're telling us about it but IF we do get away with it, O.K., we got away with it. Next time we won't be so lucky ... or maybe the time after that. This is your forum and one that you've made available to the rest of us, MOST of whom would be without any place in OC once MYOC died.

If you want to enforce the rules haphazardly, so what? If you want to enforce the rules rigidly, so what? If you want to throw out the rules or engage a lot of new rules (rigid or haphazard), so what? If we choose to come in here, we implicitly choose to go along with how ever you decide to run the place. If it gets too haphazard, we get to leave ... if it becomes too rigid, we get to leave.

When I think you're being unfair, I send you a PM and you get to decide what, if anything, to do about it.

In light of what is going on all over the world (most of which we disagree over), I honestly cannot fathom why anyone would bother you with whining about "...he called me a name..." or "HE TOUCHED ME..." crap.

Anyway, do with it what you will. That's all I wanted to say... for now. :-s

GOODave

Postby GOODave » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:39 am

oceanvue wrote:

This is just a loner head the temp agency sent over. the real head is in the shop for repairs and getting freshly coiffed I expect to have it back by early next week with that new car smell

Don't let Mimi know she's only temporary. She'll deck ya...

:lol:

RPW

Postby RPW » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:34 am

John Q. Public wrote:And we're back to being a Boring Bastion of Conservatism. No offense to the Conservatives, but the place gets really dull when we lose a dissenting voice.

I've given a number of warnings lately and the question I'm asked most often is, "How come such-and-such can say it and I can't?" The answer in almost all of the cases is, "Because I didn't see such-and-such's post." I'm not here as much as most people and I can't see everything. One person "getting away with" something doesn't make it right and it doesn't preclude the rest of us from following the rules of common decency. Sorry, guys, but I don't have a "Nastybot" to help me. You might get away with breaking a rule or you might not. I'm sure most of us would prefer that you don't even try.

did I get a warning for wanting to sue BlngTank or did I get a warning for calling him a opening in the lower regions of his body?
I am The Voice of Reason

sbayhills

Postby sbayhills » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:17 pm

e. rosewater wrote:

How does it feel to be booted under 2 different names? How long will your reprieve last this time?

sbayhills

Postby sbayhills » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:37 pm

e. rosewater wrote:How does it feel to be clueless?

I don't mind being compared to Elroy, he tooled the conservatives on this board in a way similar to the manner in which Allred played Whitman.

I wouldn't be so proud of being mistaken for Elroy. His wackiness and lack of class is legendary. You didn't take a shot at my question. How long will your reprieve last?

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:47 pm

sbayhills wrote:
How does it feel to be booted under 2 different names? How long will your reprieve last this time?

Not so much a reprieve as a glitch. And I'm not happy.

SoMelo

Postby SoMelo » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:57 pm

John Q. Public wrote:Not so much a reprieve as a glitch. And I'm not happy.

[font=Comic Sans MS]You haven't appeared to be for a while now.. Work okay? Foreign Babe? Let me know if you wanna talk about it[/font]

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:17 pm

SoMelo wrote:[font=Comic Sans MS]You haven't appeared to be for a while now.. Work okay? Foreign Babe? Let me know if you wanna talk about it[/font]

The problem is time. There just isn't enough of it for all the things I have to do and people who make me waste it on them tend to irritate me. I'd talk about it, but.... Sorry. Gotta go.

Return to “Welcome and Board Announcements”