We're back!

Board news and lame excuses
John Q. Public
Site Admin

We're back!

Postby John Q. Public » Mon May 09, 2016 5:50 pm

Sheesh!

Believe it or not, the domain expired. Our host has a very strange payment page. I clicked "Renew now" and it said "Thank You" but apparently it didn't work. So I talked to a not-so-friendly support guy and got it paid and we're back up. Now I just have to deal with a day's worth of lost emails, a couple of which actually weren't spam.

Too bad. This whole nightmare er, site could have been yours if you'd been as quick as that Indian kid who owned Google for a couple hours.

Don't look at me, I just work here.

not4u13

Re: We're back!

Postby not4u13 » Mon May 09, 2016 8:17 pm

I was guessing it might be something like that. Thanks JQP for providing this outlet for our thoughts.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Mon May 09, 2016 10:15 pm

My email has been screwy for a week, as has my ISP (Frontier, née Verizon) - and I knew I'd paid the bill - so I just thought it was more of the same. I didn't figure it out until I tried it on my phone around 6:00. I might have a better guess when I get the server report in the morning, but near as I can tell we were offline since early afternoon sometime. Ad requests are about a quarter of a normal Monday, so it might have been even longer, intermittently. I'll see what the report says tomorrow. If I get one. The domain didn't exist for a few hours so I might not. :whew:

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Tue May 10, 2016 5:01 am

You were from yesterday early AM until early late afternoon.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Tue May 10, 2016 5:03 am

I tried to get on during my lunch. Just figured my district blocked the site!

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Reconquista Primero

Postby Reconquista Primero » Tue May 10, 2016 7:58 am

I figured that a disgruntled poster who recently committed suicide by mod decided to knock the site off of the interwebs.
Worst choices for president in my 35 + years of voting.

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Tue May 10, 2016 8:02 am

The same thought did cross my mind, but then I quickly dismissed that... anyone who doesn't know how to Google search, certainly wouldn't have the skills to hack a computer system.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Tue May 10, 2016 8:21 am

John, my first thought was that you had finally grown tired enough of all the B.S. on this site and decided to nuke it. People have done far worse with less provocation.

crayegg
Oversight Committee

Postby crayegg » Tue May 10, 2016 8:45 am

I must admit that was my first thought also, MDDad.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Tue May 10, 2016 9:05 am

Nah, it gives me something to complain about. Now if I can find somebody other than the cat to complain to....

The report says the site was down pretty much all day but there were times when it worked, for some reason. And since I'd paid it and my connection had been flaky, it took me it took me till close to 6:00 to figure out that it wasn't just me. Pageviews never went to zero but they went to 250/hr. for a few hours. Normal is maybe 1500 to 1800. Then there was a spike when I got it fixed and it finished at about 2/3 of a normal day.

Good thing it happened in May, when the place is slow anyway. October or November wouldn't have been good.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Tue May 10, 2016 9:27 am

But the good news is that I hardly got any spam yesterday. Word must have gotten out, though, and I woke up to 30 of them. And those are the ones that got through the filter. :shock:

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Tue May 10, 2016 9:30 am

If you still don’t know why it was down most of the day, it was probably Bush’s fault. Now if we can just find someone to pick up the slack and rag on illegal aliens, everything will be back to normal.

And P.S.: I do know the difference between **** and Shinola.

Reconquista Primero

Postby Reconquista Primero » Tue May 10, 2016 9:51 am

MDDad: I think it is safe to say that Bush sat by and did NOTHING to cure the site outage. That is an outrage! I know for a fact that Obama was saving the internet so the site could come back.
Worst choices for president in my 35 + years of voting.

sbayhills

Postby sbayhills » Tue May 10, 2016 9:52 am

I knew something was amiss, as I think I saw Wabash down on Chapman Ave., attempting to start an argument with a Stop Sign that was leaning to the right. :mrgreen:
Last edited by sbayhills on Tue May 10, 2016 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Tue May 10, 2016 10:09 am

LOL...reminds me of a great tune from the 60's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlvA0sMvnqo

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Tue May 10, 2016 10:45 am

Ad requests (closest I have to a hitcounter) have already passed yesterday's total. Now if I can get Trump to negotiate with the Toenail Fungus folks so that means something....

ocfootballfan

Postby ocfootballfan » Tue May 10, 2016 3:34 pm

JQP.........can you PM me your cell phone # so I don't go into a panic next time. I usually sit down with a glass of wine at the end of the day and catch up on what's going on here. My mind was racing as to who to call to fix the problem.

Return to “Welcome and Board Announcements”