Saaaayyyy! What's this button do?

Board news and lame excuses
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Saaaayyyy! What's this button do?

Postby John Q. Public » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:41 pm

Whoopsies! Some maroon deleted the board. I... er, I mean "he" had some time on his hands, so I... er, "he" decided to try updating his test board. Part of the process is to delete, oh, maybe 10,000 files and replace them with the new ones. Well, "he" deleted the files for the wrong board. 30,000 files later, we seem to be back. #-o

Doofus.

He says he'll consider apologizing.

Don't look at me, I just work here.

Omar Bongo

Re: Saaaayyyy! What's this button do?

Postby Omar Bongo » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:50 pm

Anyone else notice the rest of the Internet was way faster while OCC was down?
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

jb914

Postby jb914 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:13 pm

We have all been there JQP :shock:

I have a saying, If coffee doesn't wake you up try deleting a table in your production DB.

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:09 pm

Well, obviously we have giant butterflies in CA. They's climbin' in your windows, They's snatchin' your people up, tryin' to steal 'em. So y'all need to hide your kids, hide your stars, and hide your coaches cause they're grabin' everybody out here.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:46 pm

Yeah, that's about how I felt. It wouldn't have been so bad if there weren't sooo many files. Half an hour to delete it, half an hour to upload the wrong files (which I couldn't stop when I realized what happened), half an hour to delete the wrong files, then half an hour to upload the backup. Geez!

And from what I see of the great new version, meh. I'm in no hurry to install it. Maybe I'm missing something, but so far it looks like a downgrade. --:--

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:52 pm

Now you know how that guy in Hawaii feels
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

not4u13

Postby not4u13 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:19 am

Not that long ago I learned of the root cause of a major outage.
A guy noticed an error code on a systems console after planned maintenance. It was the middle of the day and everything was working fine, but he called up the company that made the unit to find out what the code meant and how to fix it. It was a monitoring device that didn't need to be running in order for the main unit to operate normally, so he decided to try and fix it right then. He had to unplug it first.

The unit was set of disk drives that most of the critical systems used. He had to unplug the monitoring device to service it. In the middle of the day, he pulled the plug on the wrong thing and the whole set of drives shut off. The silence was deafening. He plugged it back in, but the damage was done. The drives had become corrupted. It took a week to recover. Oh, and to make matters worse, there were two other people there when he did this and they didn't say anything.

Don't worry JQP. It happens. Much appreciation for you keeping this place going.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com

NotDonaldBren

Postby NotDonaldBren » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:45 am

Omar Bongo wrote:Anyone else notice the rest of the Internet was way faster while OCC was down?

I can only imagine the Usain Bolt-like speed. Who needs Net Neutrality?

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:35 am

No idea what happened this time, other than a table in the database getting corrupted, or how long the board was down. I didn't get here until around 9:45. But a few smacks with the MySQL hammer and it seems to be fixed.

:whew:

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:17 am

And I apologize for all of the ads that have appeared on the mobile pages, but it's nothing I did. It's a new program that Google started called "Auto ads" and I purposely didn't put the code for it on those pages. Google seems to be doing that on their own, somehow, and I'm waiting on a response from them about removing or blocking them. :steam:

Return to “Welcome and Board Announcements”