You might start getting security warnings about the site

Board news and lame excuses
John Q. Public
Site Admin

You might start getting security warnings about the site

Postby John Q. Public » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:44 am

Or you might have already gotten one. Hanna said she got one a week or so ago and I got an email from Google saying that Chrome would start giving them "starting on June 2018," whatever that means.

Not a big deal really, in our situation, but I will be making them go away "soon". All it means is that the site doesn't use the "https" protocol and your interactions with the site aren't encrypted. Just like it's been all along. Not critical since we don't deal with credit cards or sensitive information but Google started a push a couple years ago to convert the entire web to it and I've hesitated because it can be a little tricky. Not complicated, really, but there are a few steps involved and doing anything wrong or out of order could take the whole site down for a few hours. And every situation is different, so there's no "Step 1, Step 2" kind of procedure. But I will be doing it. Maybe this weekend. Just click "Ignore" or "Accept the risk" or whatever it says for the time being.

And then there's the EU cookie policy notice that sites have been forced into doing. We get about 5 visitors from the EU a day - and they're probably just lost - but it's another thing I sort of have to do. Sometime. Also not a big deal since the only site-specific cookies here are for users' convenience. Meh. A whole lot of work for basically nothing.

Don't look at me, I just work here.

Professor Fate

Re: You might start getting security warnings about the site

Postby Professor Fate » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:31 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I won't freak out now, if I see it.
Well, obviously we have giant butterflies in CA. They's climbin' in your windows, They's snatchin' your people up, tryin' to steal 'em. So y'all need to hide your kids, hide your stars, and hide your coaches cause they're grabin' everybody out here.

ShiftyMutt

Postby ShiftyMutt » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:52 pm

If it’s what I think it is it just looks like a pop up in the browser when I log in. That’s the only time I’ve seen it.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:14 am

I did this. See our pretty new lock up in the address bar? I managed to do everything in the right order, and it took about 15 minutes only because there's a little delay in the certificate hooking up, but other than the site slowing down for a few minutes, I don't think it was even noticeable. I didn't even have to log back in, but some people might. It's technically a different site with the "s" added to the URL.

Some internal links might or might not be broken (like if someone linked to an old post) but I added some code to redirect "http" requests to "https", so it might not be a problem. We'll see.

All done as far as everyone but me is concerned. I have a few administrative things to do but none of them will affect the user experience.

:whew: If I knew it would be that easy....

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:23 am

Ok, I take back that part about the pretty new lock. It might not show up right away, depending on how you get here but I assume it will. It might be a caching issue of some kind but everything seems to work, so fine.

Return to “Welcome and Board Announcements”