[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5348: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3937)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5348: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3937)
Suggestions for the site? - Orange County Forums

Suggestions for the site?

Board news and lame excuses
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Suggestions for the site?

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:05 am

I'm just curious. Since this has always been a community site, and will continue to be one, I'll ask the community if there are any features they'd like to see here. They could be improvements to the board or they could be completely separate from it.

Some could be easy, some could be more difficult, some could be cheap and some could be downright costly. Some caveats for making changes to the board, though - there is no "Charger Bucks" type gambling script available for phpBB, there's no text alert script and any add-ons would have to be limited to the 1 or 2 most useful ones. You make too many tweaks and you start running into conflicts and updating the main script becomes very difficult.

There are a number of possibilities apart from the board. At the moment, some that would be fairly easy to set up are galleries, blogging, a wiki, surveys, collaboration, chat - even streaming video. Some of the Content Management Systems are also very flexible and can be adapted to do a number of things, from simple blogging to home page communities and quite a few things in between. Of the ones I've seen I think I prefer . Joomla seems to be very slow and we've all seen how well Pluck works - especially when it's foisted upon unsuspecting users.

So, let me know what you think. You can either reply here or PM me and I'll consider any reasonable or popular suggestions. If you see something on the web that you'd like to see here, post a link and we'll take a look at it.

I'll only stick this for a day so it doesn't get in the way but it will be in the after that.

4B's

Re: Suggestions for the site?

Postby 4B's » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:27 am

I would like a food delivery service

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:13 pm

I'll get back to you when the year-end reports are in. Who knows? I could be answering the phone, "Pizza Boy!" in a few months.

sbayhills

Postby sbayhills » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:35 pm

I would like to be able to click on where it says # of replies, and a list comes up to tell me who is participating in that thread with the # of posts of each on that thread.

Thanks for maintaining this site, and putting up with all of us.

slowyoroll

Postby slowyoroll » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:50 pm

Hands down, an IGNORE button. If there is one already please tell me how to use it.

Sincerely,
Kicks
"IF YOU'RE NOT RICH, IF YOU DON'T HAVE A JOB DON'T BLAME WALL STREET BLAME YOURSELF!"

HERMAN CAIN

IDIOT

SoMelo

Postby SoMelo » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:52 pm

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:53 pm

Get more "sex" oriented ads. =D>
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

slowyoroll

Postby slowyoroll » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:55 pm

"IF YOU'RE NOT RICH, IF YOU DON'T HAVE A JOB DON'T BLAME WALL STREET BLAME YOURSELF!"

HERMAN CAIN

IDIOT

Lancer4Life

Postby Lancer4Life » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:58 pm

RPW

Postby RPW » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:04 pm

not4u13

Postby not4u13 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:09 pm

I would like to be able to direct link to individual posts. I have not found a way to do that yet ... although I must admit I have not tried real hard.

The quote feature is difficult to get used to. I would prefer if it only quoted the text from the previous post instead of the entire post. In other words, if the new message resulting from pressing the quote button only contained the text from the poster and not the text quoted by the poster.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com

SoMelo

Postby SoMelo » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:16 pm

a more extensive icon selection. I've always been fond of the ROFLMAO guy... yawning guy would be a good addition too... oh yeah and the raspberry guy for sure... Is there one of a guy puking?

Lancer4Life

Postby Lancer4Life » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:21 pm

Lionhunter

Postby Lionhunter » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:35 pm

Goin' on a lion hunt, but I don't see no lion.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:06 pm

JQP,

Thanks for providing us dorks with a terrific forum. It's better than the old OCVarsity board, and you are rightly more lenient with what you will allow to be said.

I only have one suggestion, although I doubt if you can or will do it: Once a month, please provide a list of all user names/aliases who use a common computer/ISP address. That would really tend to even things out.

MDD

Lancer4Life

Postby Lancer4Life » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:13 pm

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:17 pm

"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

4B's

Postby 4B's » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:20 pm

SoMelo

Postby SoMelo » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:51 pm

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:53 pm

Return to “Welcome and Board Announcements”