[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 370: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 370: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5348: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3937)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5348: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3937)
Suggestions for the site? - Page 6 - Orange County Forums

Suggestions for the site?

Board news and lame excuses
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Re: Suggestions for the site?

Postby John Q. Public » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:08 am

Don't look at me, I just work here.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:17 am

SoMelo

Postby SoMelo » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:19 am

[font=Comic Sans MS]I have OC Connect on my Droid.. It's not the easiest to post from, but will do in a pinch[/font] :wink:

Brooke

Postby Brooke » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:42 am

Who in their right mind uses a welcome sign to mean people who would come into their home uninvited, paid by their neighbors who are using their illegal labor, overrun the neighborhood, and refuse to leave?

Ramon

Postby Ramon » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:44 am

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:43 pm

Brooke

Postby Brooke » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:20 pm

Who in their right mind uses a welcome sign to mean people who would come into their home uninvited, paid by their neighbors who are using their illegal labor, overrun the neighborhood, and refuse to leave?

Luca

Postby Luca » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:23 pm

Hello, JQ

I was going to respond to a thread that was recently started, but it disappeared just a few minutes ago.

I also don't seem to have the ability to contact you via pm any longer, but I didn't want to necessarily have a public discussion anyway. This thread seems fairly isolated and is as private as I can make it.

I was curious regarding your comment about individuals "making stuff up". Depending on what was actually said that may be justifiably serious, or perhaps not. What stuff were you referring to, and by whom?...................................Luca

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:21 pm

I couldn't tell you what specifically or by whom since I'm locked out, but it's most of what's been said about me personally, my moderating skills and probably about vilepagan and this site.

And just a few quick questions for you:

Three people have claimed that I banned them because I didn't agree with their politics. Why only three? How did I miss the hundreds of others? Why on earth would I have invited people who disagreed with me to be moderators if I were so intent on silencing people I disagree with? Or... could it have been something else that got them banned, and.... they're just making stuff up?

Luca

Postby Luca » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:47 am

I was curious what it was that unspecified people were "making up" and just assumed that you would remember the who, what and when. I’d like to think that I’d remember unwelcome comments about myself. There is a timeless quote from the past that "What people say about you behind your back represents your standing in the community." But, of course, if it something truly vile or false it does merit a measured response.

To answer your question, I don’t know which three individuals to whom you refer. “Why only three” you ask? Two possibilities: one is that with those unnamed three the disagreements became more vigorous and led to a knee-jerk reaction. The other is that you do not in fact ban people on the basis of political beliefs, although the administration of bans was curiously one-sided, I think you’d agree.

To your second question, perhaps the people you invited to be moderators were themselves pretty moderate and non-confrontational in discussions. The discussions involving others often did get heated but then that is the nature of a political discussion board, of course.

What is it that are you "locked out” of?..............................Luca

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:19 pm

I'm locked out of "That Other Board," if I may, because it's closed to non-members. And please forgive my memory. It's never been especially good. Sometimes things stick, most of the time they don't. I think maybe that's a good thing.

As for "the three," no names but I did take a look at the "banned" list and I see more Liberals or likely Liberals on it than Conservatives, but I see far more that I have no idea what their politics were. And in 13 years, the list is only about 15 people. I say "about" because some had multiple names and I can't remember who was who. Matter of fact, I'm not even sure if I knew where one of the three stood. But the things they did have in common was bullying and thuggishness and that's what got them banned, not their politics. I would have thought that was obvious but maybe not to members of their own tribe. I know we can all be guilty of that but with some people it just stands out. And those people aren't welcome here regardless of their politics or what team they root for.

Return to “Welcome and Board Announcements”