Homo's pick a fight

~44~

Re: Homo's pick a fight

Post by ~44~ » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:49 am

on a related note:

Great new show on Showtime called The Real L Word. Some pretty hot girl on girl stuff going on. 44 gives episode 1 a HUGE thumbs up. (thumbs-up smiley)
Hi

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:00 pm

GOODave wrote:
Do you suppose that is all there was to it? I mean, the OCReg only cited her that one short paragraph but I did not get the impression she went into the whole psychology of how she came to be lesbian, did you?
Coleman, who spoke with several of the gay activists Saturday, said she believed that her attraction to women stems from a distant relationship with her mother and a need to fill that void. She said she doesn't think she was born gay
What could the whole psychology be?

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:03 pm

joefutbol wrote:

What could the whole psychology be?
that was sort of the point: From that little piece, it is not possible to know even what SHE believes it to be ... never mind what it is or might be empirically. You made the statement about her beliefs of where her homosexuality came from ... I only want to know how you took that one small segment to be an entire discussion about her perception of the origins of her behavioral choices...

I still think you're reading an awful lot into her short statement.

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:09 pm

~44~ wrote:on a related note:

Great new show on Showtime called The Real L Word. Some pretty hot girl on girl stuff going on. 44 gives episode 1 a HUGE thumbs up. (thumbs-up smiley)
+1

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:16 pm

GOODave wrote: that was sort of the point: From that little piece, it is not possible to know even what SHE believes it to be ... never mind what it is or might be empirically. You made the statement about her beliefs of where her homosexuality came from ... I only want to know how you took that one small segment to be an entire discussion about her perception of the origins of her behavioral choices...

I still think you're reading an awful lot into her short statement.
I didn't take her statement to be an entire discussion. I took her statement to be the reason she feels she is a lesbian.

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:14 pm

joefutbol wrote:
I didn't take her statement to be an entire discussion. I took her statement to be the reason she feels she is a lesbian.
You're obviously missing the point. I regret I have the patience to try to explain it further to you, Joe, but I think your head might be stuck somewhere that intelligent thought is incapable of penetrating.

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:20 pm

GOODave wrote: You're obviously missing the point. I regret I have the patience to try to explain it further to you, Joe, but I think your head might be stuck somewhere that intelligent thought is incapable of penetrating.
"The" point, or your convoluted idea of what the point should be?

ND7

Post by ND7 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:41 pm

30 years ago homosexuality was considered a psychological disorder. Now if some homo gets straight they are attacked for spreading the message. What is that about?

BTW, homo is a contraction, not a slur.
"What matters is not that it's true, but that I believe it; or no, not that I believe it, but that I believe it....I trust I make myself obscure."
St. Thomas More, A Man for All Seasons.

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:45 pm

ND7 wrote:30 years ago homosexuality was considered a psychological disorder. Now if some homo gets straight they are attacked for spreading the message. What is that about?

BTW, homo is a contraction, not a slur.
Wrong message. The term is derogatory tough to argue in favor of it.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:50 pm

ND7 wrote:30 years ago homosexuality was considered a psychological disorder
And Pluto was a planet, the Royals were the best team in the league, and Michael Jackson was not only alive, but he was black. You'd be hard pressed to find a scientist who would still argue in favor of "nurture" over "nature" in regards to development of sexual orientation.

ND7

Post by ND7 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:55 pm

Parrotpaul wrote: Wrong message. The term is derogatory tough to argue in favor of it.
Answer the question.... Most of the homosexual people I have been acquainted with don't have a problem with it. You may be surprised at how they refer to themselves.
"What matters is not that it's true, but that I believe it; or no, not that I believe it, but that I believe it....I trust I make myself obscure."

ND7

Post by ND7 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:59 pm

joefutbol wrote:
And Pluto was a planet, the Royals were the best team in the league, and Michael Jackson was not only alive, but he was black. You'd be hard pressed to find a scientist who would still argue in favor of "nurture" over "nature" in regards to development of sexual orientation.
What you consider enlightenment, I consider justification.

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:07 pm

ND7 wrote: Answer the question.... Most of the homosexual people I have been acquainted with don't have a problem with it. You may be surprised at how they refer to themselves.
Black people also refer to themselves as (insert "N" word here), but I don't see you using that term, and neither do most other people. What's up with that? Situational ethics?

Is a group referring to themselves with terms that tend to confuse non-members of that group OK with you, or can that confusion lead to harm and bad feelings? Do you think those terms should just cease to be used by anyone, or is there an appropriate time for their use?

Just curious.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:07 pm

ND7 wrote: What you consider enlightenment, I consider justification.
Religion will do that.

ND7

Post by ND7 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:12 pm

joefutbol wrote:
Religion will do that.
Amen brother. We need more of that. :notworthy:

ND7

Post by ND7 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:22 pm

Can anyone answer why the homosexuals are so afraid of former homosexuals talking about becoming straight again?

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:50 pm

ND7 wrote:Can anyone answer why the homosexuals are so afraid of former homosexuals talking about becoming straight again?
Who said they are afraid?

If you approach something with a faulty premise, your conclusions will be faulty. Your question is based on your belief that homosexuality is a result of upbringing and enviornment and not as a result of a person's genetic make-up, and that homosexuals fear others having some sort of epiphany finding out the really aren't homosexual.

I suggest that is a faulty premise, but I'd be happy to read whatever you have to support your contention. Thanks.

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:07 pm

joefutbol wrote:
"The" point, or your convoluted idea of what the point should be?
You're the only one in here trying to make a sexual identity statement out of a sentence in an article.
--:--

I tried to clarify it from your perspective and you got your undies in a pinch.

SO, yes, I believe you're obviously missing the point: What I don't know is whether you are missing it because you're that limited intellectually or because you're just too obtuse to acknowledge I am right... and either way, it matters little to me.

ND7

Post by ND7 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:28 pm

Parrotpaul wrote: Who said they are afraid?

If you approach something with a faulty premise, your conclusions will be faulty. Your question is based on your belief that homosexuality is a result of upbringing and enviornment and not as a result of a person's genetic make-up, and that homosexuals fear others having some sort of epiphany finding out the really aren't homosexual.

I suggest that is a faulty premise, but I'd be happy to read whatever you have to support your contention. Thanks.
Their fear is why they are there. They don't want any more defectors. :D Don't let the TRUTH out.

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:32 pm

ND7 wrote: Their fear is why they are there. They don't want any more defectors. :D Don't let the TRUTH out.
Thanks for the heads-up, ND7. I always seek the truth, and you seem honestly to believe you are a purveyor of the truth. However, what you usually see as truth is usually quite opposite from the truth I usually see, and that's OK. Nothing different here.

Carry on.