Toys R Us closing 180 stores

The best events, things to do, bars, clubs, restaurants, theaters, malls, parks, businesses in OC and beyond
sakurasanta86

Toys R Us closing 180 stores

Postby sakurasanta86 » Sun May 06, 2018 6:28 pm

Southern California locations:

Indio
Simi Valley
Santa Clarita
West Covina
Puente Hills
Brea
Westminster
Torrance
Riverside/Moreno Valley
Santa Ana
Corona
Mission Bay
Mira Mesa
Vista

List of other locations in USA Today

I'm not familiar with a few of them, like Brea Mall, Santa Ana and Puente Hills, but I'm assuming those are Christmas "pop-up" stores that they left open. I know their old Brea store died horribly about 15 years ago, so I don't know why they'd open another full-sized store there. Rent is probably a factor on some of them because I know a few of them do pretty good business. Many are full-size stand-alone or strip mall stores.

Blame is only partially on online shopping, since they did "Ship-From-Store" where the stores got the business from online shoppers. The real story is debt. Massive amounts of debt from a leveraged buyout many years ago. And their pricing. They're always about 10% higher than their competitors. Walmart uses pretty much a "cost+" model and TRU uses "dynamic pricing," which is more of a "what the market will bear" kind of model. As demand for an item goes up, so does the price. Amazon is the same. At Wallyworld, the price goes down or stays the same.

They came into the market in the '70's, killed off the independents with their selection and lower prices, got bought by corporate raiders, got greedy at a time when that wasn't a good idea and now they're paying the price. I have pity for their employees but not their owners.

Another shame is that back when it was publicly traded, it was a great stock "flip". The price always went to about half in November and then doubled when holiday results were announced in January. There was talk that they might be going public again but it doesn't sound like it now.

Omar Bongo

Re: Toys R Us closing 180 stores

Postby Omar Bongo » Sun May 06, 2018 10:00 pm

If the Santa Ana store was the one in the MainPlace mall, it was a big one
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sun May 06, 2018 11:39 pm

I found out after *I* posted this that the Santa Ana store was on Bristol, just north of South Coast Plaza.

Now, the story on this "topic," from our Just When You Think You've Seen It All Department:

This is a copy&paste of a post I made in January, posted by a momentary member from Viet Nam. It wasn't supposed to be approved, but now that it is, what the hey. It shows the kind of stuff the mods see but the members don't and it's why we screen new members' first few posts. We get all kinds of strange posts from India, Pakistan, China, the Philippines and, now and then, Viet Nam. But I've never seen one that was a C&P of another post, much less a C&P of my own post. File under "WTFF".
Don't look at me, I just work here.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sun May 06, 2018 11:46 pm

And I guess you can include every other one of their SoCal stores now. A few things have happened since January.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Sun May 06, 2018 11:58 pm

"Momentary member"... :lol:
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Return to “The Best In Orange County”