Sunday! Sunday! Sunday!

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Sunday! Sunday! Sunday!

Postby John Q. Public » Sat May 23, 2015 11:28 am

Racing fans might as well just roll the fridge over by the sofa. Monaco at 5:00 am, Indy at noon and NASCAR at 6:00 pm. I've missed most of the F1 races this year but I don't want to miss Monaco. It's.... Monaco!

Don't look at me, I just work here.

crayegg
Oversight Committee

Re: Sunday! Sunday! Sunday!

Postby crayegg » Sat May 23, 2015 11:38 am

I know right? Some weekend.

Saw Monaco qualifying this morning, Hamilton, the $150 million dollar man, took the poll. Going to be tough for Rossberg to get his third Monaco trophy in a row, and we'll see if Vettle in his Ferrari has anything for 'em.

They are talking about some possible rule changes in 2017, wider tires and refueling. Commentator Steve Matchett was involved in a scary pit lane conflagration at Hockenheim in 1994:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdyuN_cUqjA

Looks like the fuel line was pressurized. Not good. David Hobbs with his customary British dry sense of humor: "You let go of the jack!" He cracks me up nearly every race.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sat May 23, 2015 12:16 pm

I was looking at ticket prices a while back and GA at Monaco was actually one of the better deals. If you can get there and find a place to stay. Maybe next year. :wink:

The prices for the one in Texas are friggin' insane! Probably cheaper to fly to Europe for a race.

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Sat May 23, 2015 1:42 pm

The best seat for auto races is right in front of the 60" flat screen with a kitchen full of munchies and adult beverages and a bathroom about twelve steps away. I'm not much of a Formula 1 or a roundy round aficionado, and as much as I love drag racing, experience has taught me....going to either the AAA Finals or the Winternationals or any other drag race event is like going to Mecca, but I'm glad I only do it once every couple years these days...it's very expensive, and unless you spring for the primo parking, getting out of there is a pain....especially after a looooong day in the sun, breathing nitro and rubber fumes, drinking expensive beer and eating expensive everything. It isn't hard to drop three hundred bucks with tickets, gear, pins, food, booz, and parking for the two of us.

Anyone else remember the 50's drag races where you stood in penny loafers all day behind a rope getting toasted by the sun but loving ever hour of it? Sanford, Maine municipal airport drag strip...no grandstands.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sat May 23, 2015 11:10 pm

Didn't go to any races in the '50s but we used to go to Irwindale, OCIR, the Winternationals and a couple at Riverside - on our allowances. The prices seem to have gone up since then. :shock:

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Sun May 24, 2015 5:58 am

Yep...$75 for a ticket for decent seating at the AAA Finals and the Winternationals or any other national event is pretty common.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sun May 24, 2015 6:39 am

No wonder I never go, then. Maybe it's the Scottish blood in me, but other than a few free tickets I got through work, I don't think I've gone to any races since I was in college. I'll have to talk to the Accounting Dept. and see if I can expense OC Connect Day at Long Beach or something. :mrgreen:

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sun May 24, 2015 6:59 am

Oh. Foreign Babe says an even better deal for seeing the Monaco GP is knowing somebody who lives on the course and watching it from her balcony. I hate her. :-xxx

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Sun May 24, 2015 7:30 am

There was a documentary on some channel last night that focused on the history of Formula 1 racing. Very informative. Nurburgring....deadly track.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2518788/

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Sun May 24, 2015 10:21 am

This year we went to the first day of qualifying. Cheap ducats...premium parking...thinner crowds. Not the excitement of the Sunday finals, but they are much better on the tube. I think I enjoy the pits and talking with the drivers and pit crews as much as watching the races...but I love the smell of nitro in the morning. :)

Trying to watch the Indy 500...getting lots of chores done what with all the stops and starts.

Return to “Motorsports”