Honest questions for Admin or Mods

Members only. No guests or bots allowed.
GOODave

Honest questions for Admin or Mods

Post by GOODave » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:47 am

Let's see if we can get this thread past a page or two without someone trying to make it into an insult to conservatives or liberals.

My first questions are about the whole sock-puppet thing that (it is my impression) is rampant in this community. To clarify, I am using "sock puppet" to mean "a screen identity set up by someone here who already has a screen identity here.

First, I don't understand the need for a sock puppet anyway: Most all of us here are already anonymous and all of us can set those we ignore and unset them, so I'm not sure why anyone would want a second (or third or fourth) OCConnect screen name.

Second, I know JQP has explained this before, but since I don't understand the perceived need for a sock puppet, I REALLY don't understand why JQP allows them here. Obviously, he can allow anything he wants, but he seems particularly "devoted" to sock puppets and his reasoning just doesn't make sense to me.

Finally, since JQP allows sock puppets, why does he get so upset when someone tries to flush out one of them? It's not an insult to assert that so-and-so is a sock puppet of such-and-so, but JQP (in particular, and by extenstion, his moderators) really gets torqued anytime any of us thinks he or she has identified a sock puppet.

--:--

What's the big deal?
Last edited by GOODave on Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Troglodyte

Re: Honest quesetions for Admin or Mods

Post by Troglodyte » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:05 am

GOODave wrote:Second, I know JQP has explained this before, but since I don't understand the perceived need for a sock puppet, I REALLY don't understand why JQP allows them here.

Finally, since JQP allows sock puppets, why does he get so upset when someone tries to flush out one of them? It's not an insult to assert that so-and-so is a sock puppet of such-and-so, but JQP (in particular, and by extenstion, his moderators) really gets torqued anytime any of us thinks he or she has identified a sock puppet.

--:--

What's the big deal?
Can't have an ongoing dialog without controversy.. The more outrageous the entries, the more posts.
Sometimes the 'sock puppet' has outlived their usefulness, ala Elroy, and soon Wabash. Tiresome..
Some members are natural 'sock puppets' without any finagling.. Their initials are R and B.. :wink:
Coming soon.. The son of Wabash.... :ROFL:
I don't suffer from any mental illnesses.. I enjoy them..

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:12 am

GOODave wrote:My first questions are about the whole sock-puppet thing that (it is my impression) is rampant in this community. To clarify, I am using "sock puppet" to mean "a screen identity set up by someone here who already has a screen identity here.
It isn't rampant. A few people have multiple names but it isn't really more than a handful. And I don't see any of them using them very often.
First, I don't understand the need for a sock puppet anyway: Most all of us here are already anonymous and all of us can set those we ignore and unset them, so I'm not sure why anyone would want a second (or third or fourth) OCConnect screen name.

Second, I know JQP has explained this before, but since I don't understand the perceived need for a sock puppet, I REALLY don't understand why JQP allows them here. Obviously, he can allow anything he wants, but he seems particularly "devoted" to sock puppets and his reasoning just doesn't make sense to me.
They're allowed because every now and then it can be fun to post as a different persona. I have one that I've used a few times, myself. It's one of those old-timey message board things that I've never had a problem with. Except we did have a guy on the El Toro Chronicles who would use a different name for every post (the software allowed "on the fly" name changes). That did get old. I have 4 or 5 other names that I only use for testing purposes. I know they've been abused but that's hardly "rampant" either and when we see it being abused we generally take some sort of action against the person doing it.
Because your guesses are generally wrong. The mods and I have tools see such things and and you don't. And when I see someone making false accusations (or accusations that can't be verified) against a fellow member, yes, I do get torqued. Wouldn't you?
Don't look at me, I just work here.

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:23 am

John Q. Public wrote: Because your guesses are generally wrong. The mods and I have tools see such things and and you don't. And when I see someone making false accusations (or accusations that can't be verified) against a fellow member, yes, I do get torqued. Wouldn't you?
no, I don't think I would. Over the years, I have been accused of being OCRepub, Moral Outrage, and, more recently, even Red. Being tagged as someone else, in my mind, is really REALLY trivial, to the point that I really do not believe I'd care if someone thinks I'm a sock puppet. I think I might have even created one some years ago when I was arguing so vehemently with Bev. She started calling me "BADave" so I developed a sock puppet with that name: I don't see that name around any more so the software must have deleted him for non-use or something.

Seems to me, it can only be an "accusation" if being a sock puppet is a bad thing: But, as you've explained, some folks think it's fun or have some other purpose for creating one. I get that, but I still don't know, then, how calling someone out as a sock puppet (even incorrectly identifying someone as a sock puppet) is such an egregious violation.

Did someone really complain about it at some point? Is that the reason you're so against tagging someone?

I'm just asking.

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:44 am

Little did you know Dave that I'm really a sock puppet.

I'm actually Luca's sock puppet.

For Realsies.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch

Red

Post by Red » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:46 am

John Q. Public wrote: It isn't rampant. A few people have multiple names but it isn't really more than a handful. And I don't see any of them using them very often.

They're allowed because every now and then it can be fun to post as a different persona. I have one that I've used a few times, myself. It's one of those old-timey message board things that I've never had a problem with. Except we did have a guy on the El Toro Chronicles who would use a different name for every post (the software allowed "on the fly" name changes). That did get old. I have 4 or 5 other names that I only use for testing purposes. I know they've been abused but that's hardly "rampant" either and when we see it being abused we generally take some sort of action against the person doing it.

Because your guesses are generally wrong. The mods and I have tools see such things and and you don't. And when I see someone making false accusations (or accusations that can't be verified) against a fellow member, yes, I do get torqued. Wouldn't you?
Geez JQP, if I would have spelled "question" wrong, you would have been all over it. Getting a little soft, are you? Sorry Dave. I hope the bus didn't hurt you. :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:
Liberalism is like an out-of-control 5 year old at McDonalds. All the talking to and admonishment won't make a difference. They have no concept of right or wrong, they are nothing more than narcissists.

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:52 am

Notorious wrote:Little did you know Dave that I'm really a sock puppet.

For Realsies.
NOT thinking you can pull that one off, Noto.

I credit the attempt, though.

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:08 am

GOODave wrote: NOT thinking you can pull that one off, Noto.

I credit the attempt, though.
I think you mean Luca can't pull it off, even though I can because I do since I'm actually Luca.

Brooke

Post by Brooke » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:49 pm

Notorious wrote:Little did you know Dave that I'm really a sock puppet.

For Realsies.
BS. You could never be Luca ... ever.
Who in their right mind uses a welcome sign to mean people who would come into their home uninvited, paid by their neighbors who are using their illegal labor, overrun the neighborhood, and refuse to leave?

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:55 pm

Brooke wrote: BS. You could never be Luca ... ever.
Sock puppets are often made to troll and make the other side of the argument look bad.

It makes perfect sense why I (Luca) created this sock puppet.

Heywould

Post by Heywould » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:44 pm

John Q. Public wrote: It isn't rampant. A few people have multiple names but it isn't really more than a handful. And I don't see any of them using them very often.

Are you a politician? That was a complete load of ****. You and Turtleneck Boy defend your sock puppet friends and delete posts and suspend anyone who calls them out.
If I Had a Dollar for Every Time Capitalism was Blamed for Problems Caused by Government I'd Be a Fat Filmmaker with a Baseball Cap

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:26 pm

GOODave wrote:Over the years, I have been accused of being OCRepub, Moral Outrage, and, more recently, even Red. Being tagged as someone else, in my mind, is really REALLY trivial, to the point that I really do not believe I'd care if someone thinks I'm a sock puppet.
But you're looking at it from the wrong direction. I don't know if I'd mind that much if people decided Poster X was me in disguise but it would probably bug the heck out of Poster X - especially if Poster X was a new person who saw something he wanted to comment on but was immediately blown off as me hiding behind an alias.

My job - and the job of the mods - is to facilitate discussion and growth of our community. Belittling people and treating them as if they're somebody else's "sock puppet" isn't conducive to either of those, especially in the case of new members. And especially because the accusations are usually wrong. That's why we get upset about it.

oceanvue

Re: Honest questions for Admin or Mods

Post by oceanvue » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:35 pm

If I had a sock puppet I would name him Bobby

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:39 pm

Red wrote: Geez JQP, if I would have spelled "question" wrong, you would have been all over it. Getting a little soft, are you?
I think you have the wrong guy, Red. Bad and uninteresting subject lines and posts without content bug me but typos don't. Remember? I agreed with VP about closing that thread where you and your "budies" were "hammering" Wabash over one?

oceanvue

Post by oceanvue » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:47 pm

get it "Bobby Socks" :giggle: :giggle:

Red

Post by Red » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:54 pm

John Q. Public wrote: I think you have the wrong guy, Red. Bad and uninteresting subject lines and posts without content bug me but typos don't. Remember? I agreed with VP about closing that thread where you and your "budies" were "hammering" Wabash over one?
Where did I see something about "belittling" posters? Oh yeah! YOU! BTW, you aren't being truthful. I don't respond to him and there is a reason I don't respond to him. Now go back and read the thread and show me where I hammered him. Forget it! You can't.

BTW JQP. I have two quick questions.....Do you miss the bickering when paul is here and do you feel the need to carry his water? Just asking.
Liberalism is like an out-of-control 5 year old at McDonalds. All the talking to and admonishment won't make a difference. They have no concept of right or wrong, they are nothing more than narcissists.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:23 pm

Red wrote: Where did I see something about "belittling" posters? Oh yeah! YOU! BTW, you aren't being truthful. I don't respond to him and there is a reason I don't respond to him. Now go back and read the thread and show me where I hammered him. Forget it! You can't.

BTW JQP. I have two quick questions.....Do you miss the bickering when paul is here and do you feel the need to carry his water? Just asking.
http://www.occonnect.com/community/view ... 99#p385410
http://www.occonnect.com/community/view ... 99#p385412

Small quandary: The last person who wrongly accused me of lying was banned for life. I'm not sure how to handle this.

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:53 am

John Q. Public wrote: But you're looking at it from the wrong direction. I don't know if I'd mind that much if people decided Poster X was me in disguise but it would probably bug the heck out of Poster X - especially if Poster X was a new person who saw something he wanted to comment on but was immediately blown off as me hiding behind an alias.

My job - and the job of the mods - is to facilitate discussion and growth of our community. Belittling people and treating them as if they're somebody else's "sock puppet" isn't conducive to either of those, especially in the case of new members. And especially because the accusations are usually wrong. That's why we get upset about it.
I guess I can see that. Particularly about calling out the newbies: I hadn't thought about that.

However, it would never have bugged OCRepub or MO to be called me: That was a compliment to them.

Red

Post by Red » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:13 am

John Q. Public wrote: http://www.occonnect.com/community/view ... 99#p385410
http://www.occonnect.com/community/view ... 99#p385412

Small quandary: The last person who wrongly accused me of lying was banned for life. I'm not sure how to handle this.
I read it again and didn't see where I was DIRECTLY involved in belittling the poster. Again, if you know anything about your own board, you will see I have nothing to do with the poster that was "belittled" thanks to another wise poster and his sage advice. Yes I laughed. I thought it was funny and true.

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:46 am

CERTAIN Poster and/or moderator keeps trying to trash the other attempts to talk to the Mods/Admin, so let's try this again:
GOODave wrote:What a stupid thing to say.
John Q. Public wrote:What a WHAT, Dave? And you wonder why you keep getting warnings.
So here's my question:
Is it the word "stupid" to which you object, John?

It is not a "warnable" offense to make an untoward observation about something someone has SAID. Note I did not call Wabash, himself, "stupid." That was, as you quoted, a stupid STATEMENT (or "...a stupid thing to say"). Can I observe "don't be stupid?" Or "that was a stupid thing to do?" is it just saying something was "a stupid thing to say" to which you object?

So I think I've answered my own question: You object to the use of certain words, regardless of the context, right? What about "dumb?" Could I have observed it was "...a dumb thing to say?" Or "...an idiotic thing to say?" Or is it just "stupid" to which you object?