You're wrong, Moderator

Members only. No guests or bots allowed.
Locked
User avatar
Brooke
Posts: 21580
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:51 am

Re: You're wrong, Moderator

Post by Brooke » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:29 pm

John Q. Public wrote: I've seriously thought about turning it off for a few days. Nothing like having to manually type "So and so said:" to see how unnecessary it is. It should be used for clarity and that's all. It's not a Reply button. Crayegg's absolutely right.
Are you dismissing my sound reasons for using quotes? See below. I really do believe it is good manners because it makes everything more clear. It helps keep me on track.

Brooke wrote: I disagree. I think it is just good manners to post the quote you are responding to. It saves readers from looking everything up. It makes things less confusing when switching to different threads.

Another thing JQP, you are not concerned with what leads up to certain responses. I know that from the complaints I have sent to you. So, your perspective is totally different from those of us who are having discussions. You don't care - we do.
Who in their right mind uses a welcome sign to mean people who would come into their home uninvited, paid by their neighbors who are using their illegal labor, overrun the neighborhood, and refuse to leave?

Red
Posts: 17717
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:33 pm

Re: You're wrong, Moderator

Post by Red » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:31 pm

SoMelo wrote:If you explained all this to him in a PM, why the need to repeat it? Is one's ability to comprehend on on open thread any different from a PM?
Why are you piling on? Feeling your oats? It still doesn't make sense.
Liberalism is like an out-of-control 5 year old at McDonalds. All the talking to and admonishment won't make a difference. They have no concept of right or wrong, they are nothing more than narcissists.

User avatar
John Q. Public
Site Admin
Posts: 19532
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:56 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: You're wrong, Moderator

Post by John Q. Public » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:16 pm

Brooke wrote: Are you dismissing my sound reasons for using quotes? See below. I really do believe it is good manners because it makes everything more clear. It helps keep me on track. .
No.... Like I said, it should be used to clarify what you're responding to. When it's obvious what you're responding to it's just really lame to use it.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

User avatar
GOODave
Posts: 26392
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:21 pm

Re: You're wrong, Moderator

Post by GOODave » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:02 am

John Q. Public wrote: No.... Like I said, it should be used to clarify what you're responding to. When it's obvious what you're responding to it's just really lame to use it.
Not always.

How many times have you seen the response "I wasn't talking to you" or the question "who are you talking to?"

It's quite possible ... and happens all the time ... that Poster B responds to Poster A immediately after Poster A's post, but before Poster B finishes, another one-to-three posters complete THEIR posts so Poster B's response actually follows Poster A's post (to which he was responding) by two or three or more posts.

Now, I DO agree, it's dumb to quote entire posts when all you want to respond to are one or two lines. It's not that much trouble to break a whole post into just two or three lines to which you have a response. It takes a couple extra copy-and-pastes, but it definitely leads to greater understanding.

I THINK, and I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong, that is the criticism you levelled at Red (responding by quoting entire posts). However, Red did not break any RULES of the forum: He only transgressed your desire which should not lead to a board warning. That's the bed you made when you launched a public forum like this: Frustration with individual poster's habits is part of the job and why you get the "big bucks" for running this place. Now, don't get me wrong, you or any moderator are free to issue any discipline you want, but now that Red has shown the "proper" reaction to having been warned, I wonder if it wouldn't be some real leadership to, now, delete the warning and see if the behavior still changes.

crayegg
Oversight Committee
Posts: 4147
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:13 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: You're wrong, Moderator

Post by crayegg » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:03 am

If another poster posts while you are composing your post, the software points that out and you can change your post accordingly.

Why did you quote JQP right after his quote, right after he reiterated his request not to. You should get a warning for pure stubbornness.

User avatar
GOODave
Posts: 26392
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:21 pm

Re: You're wrong, Moderator

Post by GOODave » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:10 am

crayegg wrote:If another poster posts while you are composing your post, the software points that out and you can change your post accordingly.

Why did you quote JQP right after his quote, right after he reiterated his request not to. You should get a warning for pure stubbornness.
You should get a life warning for ....

well, never mind.

User avatar
GOODave
Posts: 26392
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:21 pm

Re: You're wrong, Moderator

Post by GOODave » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:01 am

Vilepagan wrote:No threats. I will point out that if you continue to act like an angry ten-year old you might end up getting a warning. There's little for you to gain by posting silly pics and juvenile insults except to make yourself look foolish. Your choice of course.
An overbearing, puerile poster who chose a screen name of "Vile Pagan" has the temerity to lecture anyone else on acting like an angry 10-year old.

:lol:

User avatar
Vilepagan
Posts: 12525
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:07 am

Re: You're wrong, Moderator

Post by Vilepagan » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:17 am

GOODave wrote:An overbearing, puerile poster who chose a screen name of "Vile Pagan" has the temerity to lecture anyone else on acting like an angry 10-year old.

:lol:
Yes, I do...but only when they act like an angry 10-year-old. For example, when they play childish games with someone's screen name. My SN is Vilepagan...one word...and it's just a name.

Out of curiosity, is your SN GOODave or GOO Dave? Does it have some underlying meaning, or is it just a SN?
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

User avatar
GOODave
Posts: 26392
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:21 pm

Re: You're wrong, Moderator

Post by GOODave » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:23 am

Vilepagan wrote:
Yes, I do...but only when they act like an angry 10-year-old. For example, when they play childish games with someone's screen name. My SN is Vilepagan...one word...and it's just a name.

Out of curiosity, is your SN GOODave or GOO Dave? Does it have some underlying meaning, or is it just a SN?
It has underlying meaning AND it is efficient (not using two "Ds"). Underlying meaning is that I'm good. and your screen name is something I would anticipate coming from a kid who believes they are poking fun at the religious. "Just a screen name?" People invent themselves through their screen names: You can't possibly expect us to believe the letters v-i-l-e-p-a-g-a-n just happened to appear out of your keyboard one morning and, not knowing what they meant, you decided they'd make a good screen name. Someone names themselves a contraction of the two words "vile" and "pagan" they have some familiarity with what the terms mean and have some level of expectation at what about them such a screen name will convey.

User avatar
GOODave
Posts: 26392
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:21 pm

Re: You're wrong, Moderator

Post by GOODave » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:22 am

GOODave wrote:OTOH, Obama refuses to own his own misbehavior and, so, SHOULD apologize for his misdeeds. The former is a sign of weakness (arbitrarily accepting blame for something you didn't do). The latter is a sign of leadership (manning up and owning your missteps, learning from them, and moving on).
Vilepagan wrote:Due to the near-fatal level of irony present in your preceding statement, I don't believe I can respond without changing the subject or straying out-of-bounds.
In fairness, your myopic predetermination of my motivations and intentions very likely limits you to believe that, but as I've told you repeatedly, WHEN YOU DELETE THE POST FOR WHICH YOU WARNED ME, I DO NOT KNOW WHAT I SAID OR WHY I GOT A WARNING FOR IT. When the "warning" for which I was banned tells me to e-mail the board administrator for more information, I don't do that because I like to write. I do that because I try to log in and find I've been banned AND do not remember writing anything ban-worthy (or warning-worthy). Sometimes JQP answers, sometimes he does not.

Now, I realize you don't "buy" that but your stubbornness notwithstanding, you could go a long way towards being understood if you would, even on a trial basis, seek to understand. I mean, you banned me for a week because I said you were being too thin skinned as if proving that you were, in fact, being too "touchy."

--:--

User avatar
Vilepagan
Posts: 12525
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:07 am

Re: You're wrong, Moderator

Post by Vilepagan » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:31 am

GOODave wrote:In fairness, your myopic predetermination of my motivations and intentions very likely limits you to believe that, but as I've told you repeatedly, WHEN YOU DELETE THE POST FOR WHICH YOU WARNED ME, I DO NOT KNOW WHAT I SAID OR WHY I GOT A WARNING FOR IT.
JQP wants us to delete inappropriate posts. That's why when you are warned for a post that was deleted you can no longer go to the offending post, and that's why we now include the text of the offending post with the warning. This seems to have no effect on your level of understanding since you still whine, and cry and deny you did anything wrong even when you clearly did, and the reasons are clearly shown to you. This is the main reason I told you not to send me any more PM's, in addition to the fact that you can't even register a complaint without insulting the person you are complaining to (see above). Since you don't have the self-control necessary to be civil, you don't get to send me any more PM's, and you'll get no more slack from me. I've deleted two of your posts this morning, one for being glaringly off-topic, and the other because it was just another one of your cheap-shots at a fellow poster. If I delete a third post today you'll get a warning and the resultant suspension. As always, it's up to you to decide what you want.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

User avatar
GOODave
Posts: 26392
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:21 pm

Re: You're wrong, Moderator

Post by GOODave » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:31 am

Vilepagan wrote:
JQP wants us to delete inappropriate posts. That's why when you are warned for a post that was deleted you can no longer go to the offending post, and that's why we now include the text of the offending post with the warning. This seems to have no effect on your level of understanding since you still whine, and cry and deny you did anything wrong even when you clearly did, and the reasons are clearly shown to you. This is the main reason I told you not to send me any more PM's, in addition to the fact that you can't even register a complaint without insulting the person you are complaining to (see above). Since you don't have the self-control necessary to be civil, you don't get to send me any more PM's, and you'll get no more slack from me. I've deleted two of your posts this morning, one for being glaringly off-topic, and the other because it was just another one of your cheap-shots at a fellow poster. If I delete a third post today you'll get a warning and the resultant suspension. As always, it's up to you to decide what you want.
To observe that you have a myopic predetermination of my motivations and intentions is not insulting: It is an opinion of your actions that I hold... and last I heard, I'm allowed to hold opinions about people's behavior. I believe yours to be dictatorial and heavy-handed based on your dislike of me, personally but, of course, you're allowed THAT opinion whereas I'm not allowed my opinions of your behavior.

I still "whine and cry and deny did anything wrong" because ANY time you have been involved, it is observable fact (by anyone other than you) that you have been unfair, heavy-handed, and dictatorial. You interpret your own special "rules" from the stated terms of use and misinterpret them unfairly towards those you personally dislike. Since YOU have not the self-control to control your hatred of [more than just me], we all have to spend more than a little time in threads like this pointing out your misdeeds so that all can see them. LOOK at those who agree with my posts! We cannot all be wrong.

Man up for once and accept some criticism. Learn from it and move on ... or waste your time "defending" (or convincing yourself you're defending) your juvenile behavior.

User avatar
Vilepagan
Posts: 12525
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:07 am

Re: You're wrong, Moderator

Post by Vilepagan » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:20 am

GOODave wrote:To observe that you have a myopic predetermination of my motivations and intentions is not insulting:
:roll:
It is an opinion of your actions that I hold... and last I heard, I'm allowed to hold opinions about people's behavior. I believe yours to be dictatorial and heavy-handed based on your dislike of me, personally but, of course, you're allowed THAT opinion whereas I'm not allowed my opinions of your behavior.
You are allowed to hold any opinions you like, but you aren't allowed to post them all on the forums.
I still "whine and cry and deny did anything wrong" because ANY time you have been involved, it is observable fact (by anyone other than you) that you have been unfair, heavy-handed, and dictatorial.


So I guess that means that the rest of the mods, the owner of the site, and the Oversight Committee all agree with you? Is this what you're claiming?

Dave, instead of telling me what other people think, why don't you get them to say it themselves? It shouldn't be a problem for you to convince them to speak up on your behalf, after all it's an "observable fact" that I mistreat you here daily isn't it?
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

User avatar
Zebra
Posts: 1005
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:48 pm

Re: You're wrong, Moderator

Post by Zebra » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:42 am

:iknow: I notice it and nobody has to convince me.
Coach, you can call me a S.O.B. all you want. Just don't call me a little S.O.B. [-X

Heywould
Posts: 1443
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:20 pm

Re: You're wrong, Moderator

Post by Heywould » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:47 am

I do too
If I Had a Dollar for Every Time Capitalism was Blamed for Problems Caused by Government I'd Be a Fat Filmmaker with a Baseball Cap

User avatar
Vilepagan
Posts: 12525
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:07 am

Re: You're wrong, Moderator

Post by Vilepagan » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:02 am

Can you elaborate a bit? What do you notice?
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

User avatar
John Q. Public
Site Admin
Posts: 19532
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:56 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: You're wrong, Moderator

Post by John Q. Public » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:09 am

GOODave wrote:Since YOU have not the self-control to control your hatred of [more than just me], we all have to spend more than a little time in threads like this pointing out your misdeeds so that all can see them. LOOK at those who agree with my posts! We cannot all be wrong.
Or "we" can simply not do the things that "we" keep getting warnings for. It's easy. Don't do anything to get warned about and you won't get any warnings. All but about 2 or 3 of us have that one pretty much figured out.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

User avatar
Brooke
Posts: 21580
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:51 am

Re: You're wrong, Moderator

Post by Brooke » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:16 am

GOODave wrote:
To observe that you have a myopic predetermination of my motivations and intentions is not insulting: It is an opinion of your actions that I hold... and last I heard, I'm allowed to hold opinions about people's behavior. I believe yours to be dictatorial and heavy-handed based on your dislike of me, personally but, of course, you're allowed THAT opinion whereas I'm not allowed my opinions of your behavior.
I agree. Vile is hateful and condescending to those who do not agree with his political opinions and/or do not like his behavior. This forum is full of evidence of that and plenty of forum members have complained; myself included.
GOODave wrote:I still "whine and cry and deny did anything wrong" because ANY time you have been involved, it is observable fact (by anyone other than you) that you have been unfair, heavy-handed, and dictatorial. You interpret your own special "rules" from the stated terms of use and misinterpret them unfairly towards those you personally dislike. Since YOU have not the self-control to control your hatred of [more than just me], we all have to spend more than a little time in threads like this pointing out your misdeeds so that all can see them. LOOK at those who agree with my posts! We cannot all be wrong.

Man up for once and accept some criticism. Learn from it and move on ... or waste your time "defending" (or convincing yourself you're defending) your juvenile behavior.

I agree, I have a long list of grievances against Vile's behavior, but have not had the time to post them. It is an unfair double standard.
Who in their right mind uses a welcome sign to mean people who would come into their home uninvited, paid by their neighbors who are using their illegal labor, overrun the neighborhood, and refuse to leave?

RPW
Posts: 6001
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:11 pm

Re: You're wrong, Moderator

Post by RPW » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:31 am

Creating threads to complain about threads created about other complaints is over the top.

Goo and Brooke... the mods don't like you and them refusing to admit this should not keep you from your day jobs. Move past it and enjoy life.
I am The Voice of Reason

User avatar
Brooke
Posts: 21580
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:51 am

Re: You're wrong, Moderator

Post by Brooke » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:33 am

Vilepagan wrote: :roll:
Here is a good example of the disdain that you show towards Dave and others. Your treatment of Dave is unfair and obviously bothers him, but what do you do? Play the condescending power-happy moderator and post a rude smiley. So typical of what you do here on a daily basis.
Vile wrote:You are allowed to hold any opinions you like, but you aren't allowed to post them all on the forums.
Yet, you do. You have posted just absolute senseless garbage along with the ever present pretentiousness that defines you AND when you are called on it you disappear. Hardly moderator-like behavior.

In fact, that kind of behavior is not only shameful, but it is full of antagonistic hostility. It is a deliberate act of someone who enjoys causing trouble - and then runs away giggling under his breath. And you have the nerve to say something to Red about not knowing what a decent person is. Incredible.
Who in their right mind uses a welcome sign to mean people who would come into their home uninvited, paid by their neighbors who are using their illegal labor, overrun the neighborhood, and refuse to leave?

Locked