Is the site slow to anyone else?

Members only. No guests or bots allowed.
AsIfYouKnew

Is the site slow to anyone else?

Post by AsIfYouKnew » Wed May 14, 2014 1:05 pm

It has been very slow for me the past few day. Just curious if something is going on.
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
Jonathan Swift

http://www.civilityinamerica.org/en/index.html

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Re: Is the site slow to anyone else?

Post by John Q. Public » Wed May 14, 2014 8:48 pm

I've been noticing it for a couple weeks, but by myself I can't tell if it's the site or my connection or my computer. Thanks for reporting it.

The server seems to be overloading now and then. No idea why. I'll ask tech support.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Fri May 16, 2014 7:21 am

Maybe you two are just starting to think, really, really fast. So fast it makes the rest of the world seem slow!

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Fri May 16, 2014 7:25 pm

Well, tech support was no help whatsoever. They must have a form letter that blames the size of the site or a WordPress plugin, but the problem can be easily remedied by upgrading my account. And according to the testimonials on their message board, the only problem that solves is it makes the site owners' wallets lighter.

But! I haven't figured out exactly what's causing the problem but I have narrowed it to something involving the old board. For some reason it seems to have started overloading the server, even though I haven't even touched it in years. Turning it off makes the site load almost immediately, turning it back on makes it slow down again. And for some reason, it's been getting about 2 hits/minute lately, which is just enough to keep the server overloaded almost continuously. Except I can't leave it turned off without getting heavily punished by the search engine gods for giving them 65,000 errors.

Please bear with me. This will take some research but I'm working on it.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Tue May 20, 2014 10:53 pm

Okay, this is crazy. I was pretty convinced that the slowness was coming from something related to the board, since the rest of the site seemed to be pretty normal. So I decided I'd remove the last modification I did. But before I did, I uploaded one little file that I didn't think the auto-uninstaller would catch, and I wouldn't have thought it would even matter. But from what I'm seeing right now, it looks like I stuck an asthma inhaler on the site. Reloading the Active Topics page is so fast you wouldn't know it worked except for the ads changing.

But ya never know. It was really fast for about 5 minutes after we restored the database yesterday, then it went back to being even slower than it had been.

So please let me know if you experience any slowness again. Otherwise I'm going to assume it's fixed. Somehow.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Tue May 20, 2014 10:56 pm

Uh oh. That post took a while to go through.

As did this one. But reading seems to be fine. I'll keep tinkering.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Wed May 21, 2014 6:39 am

Well, I ran the auto-uninstall and it seems to be a little better - except the smilies and the BBCode buttons don't work. They can be typed in, though, if you know them. Please use the Preview button to see if you got them right, though. Even experts forget a "/" now and then. This one might take a while to find, so bear with me.

And it looks like posting is still slow. I'm not sure if that's related but I'll keep looking.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Thu May 22, 2014 10:06 am

I hate to say it but this slowness has me completely baffled. I've been trying to do detective work all morning but I haven't come up with anything yet. I'll try again tonight.

In the meantime, if you're posting, please only hit the Submit button once. Judging by the double posts, they seem to be going through alright - it's what happens after that that's slow.

:oops:

Brooke

Post by Brooke » Thu May 22, 2014 10:50 am

Yes, this site is very slow.
Who in their right mind uses a welcome sign to mean people who would come into their home uninvited, paid by their neighbors who are using their illegal labor, overrun the neighborhood, and refuse to leave?

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Fri May 23, 2014 7:11 am

I haven't found the site to be slower than usual. It has been working well for me.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Fri May 23, 2014 10:19 am

No, there's something wrong with the board. I've been watching the server via telnet and I can see processes struggling whenever I click a link. The home page and my test board are working fine and the server reacts normally with them, so it's definitely a bug somewhere in the board's code. I just can't find it.

But I spent the morning editing a few dozen files to make a backup to the state it was in about 2 months ago and I'll be uploading and replacing everything sometime today. There might be a few errors while the files are uploading but it should go pretty smoothly. Hopefully nothing critical will break. And hopefully it will work. I'm tired of this.

:throw:

seeinred

Post by seeinred » Fri May 23, 2014 11:03 am

I've been having to login every time I visit the site even though I check the box that says "log on each time I visit." That was never the case before a week ago...

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Fri May 23, 2014 4:57 pm

That sounds like a cookie setting on your browser to me. Have you changed them or updated your browser lately? It's working for me and I'm no different from anybody else on that. My phone doesn't keep me signed in beyond a day or so but I assume that's a setting on it that I haven't discovered.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Fri May 23, 2014 5:18 pm

And the strangeness starts again. Reading and refreshing seem to have improved a few hundred percent AND I DIDN'T DO ANYTHING! I deleted some files that didn't seem to be connected to anything, so I didn't expect to see a difference, but I do. For now. Posting is still slow, though, so I'm going to do a "quick" backup of this semi-working state and start replacing files. Hopefully it will work.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sat May 24, 2014 10:47 am

Well, I restored the board back to the state it was in about 2 months ago and it worked great. For about an hour. Same as has happened every other time I've uploaded anything. Seems like I could upload a picture of my dog and the speed would improve for a while.

The front page is working fine and both of my test boards - one on this site, one on another, both on this server - are working great but this one's not. And they're all virtually identical except they actually have more stuff installed on them, so the files aren't interchangeable.

So, I'm not sure what to do right now. Something isn't working right but I just can't find it. It's starting to look like the best option is to shut the board down and re-install it from scratch, which would take a few hours and which I really don't feel like doing - and which the Foreign Babe would kill me for spending my Saturday doing. But I have to do something. The slowness can't go on. I'll get back to you.

AsIfYouKnew

Post by AsIfYouKnew » Sun May 25, 2014 3:09 pm

Seems great. Thanks.
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
Jonathan Swift

http://www.civilityinamerica.org/en/index.html

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sun May 25, 2014 4:26 pm

It's been a whole 6 1/2 hours and it's still working and the server load is still good. I think maybe I finally got whatever it was.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:33 am

A little help here?

I installed the Football Pool WordPress plugin that caused us problems last year. The newest version of it didn't seem to cause any problems on my test site, so I installed it here this morning. I've been watching the server performance and I don't see anything and my plugin tester plugin says it's adding 0.2 seconds to the site load time, which is reasonable.

Please let me know if you see any overall slowness as of this morning.

p.s. The plugin was originally written for soccer and the developer has the files pre-made for the World Cup (starts June 12) if anybody's interested in a World Cup pool to try it out.

RedFred

Post by RedFred » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:57 am

I'd say the Board is as fast as it has ever been

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:01 pm

Well, okay, this is going to sound stupid but I re-installed the plugin that was responsible for most of the slowness. The reason I did it is because it lets people use their board sign-ins to enter the football pool. Besides the convenience of not having to re-register, it seems that WordPress is a magnet for spammers, bots, hackers, whatever they are. I checked the "Let users register" box on WordPress and I got 10 fake registrations in 2 hours. The board seems to be a much better way of handling registrations.

So, the question now is "is the added slowness significant?" It seems like maybe half a second to me, but I'd like to get other opinions. I'd like to keep this setup but if it's a problem I'll just have to find another way.