Is the site slow to anyone else?

Members only. No guests or bots allowed.
Parrotpaul

Re: Is the site slow to anyone else?

Post by Parrotpaul » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:27 am

This is getting exasperating....nothing has much improved over the past week. Connectivity is bad most of the time, and it seems especially bad around noon.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:27 am

Well, I replaced all the files again. It shouldn't have any effect but it seems to. I still haven't found anything wrong. :shrug:

The back end is even slow today. I got a time out when I tried to do a little (and I do mean little) maintenance operation on the database. I think I'll wait till later. Traffic seems to have a lot to do with it.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:36 pm

Odd day. My computer (s) practically ground to a halt around noon. I could hook up to my server, but I couldn't log on anywhere...it would take me to the site and then just grind and grind...never quite loading much. I finally called West Coast Internet around 3PM....who verified my modem was working OK. She had me unplug my router from the modem...shut down the computer...then power up again. She told me when to try to connect, and that solved the problem...it's like either the modem or the router or both were totally confused and just needed a reboot...but this site is still slow.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:58 am

Update...I have no idea why this site gives me such fits. I have a laptop that pretty much refuses to load this site quickly, and sometimes it won't using Windows, and going from page to page is like waiting for a left turn light in Irvine. Apparently the site deplores Windows browsers...it just won't cooperate enough to make me use it. I have another newer laptop that runs the site better but not great. Firefox works better for this site than Windows, but I find it just gets more and more herky-jerky and frustrating to use. The latest site update hasn't been great, IMO.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:38 am

I really haven't seen it. I was just thinking yesterday how I was glad they'd streamlined a couple of the processes.

Does your status bar give any indication of where the hang might be? Any special place or function? You're saying your car is making a noise but you aren't telling me anything about the noise.

Do you restart your browser regularly? Mine overloads and I usually have to restart it at least once a day, but that makes every site I go to slow.

Anybody else?

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:50 am

I restart my browser frequently...where is my status bar? I just roam around the Internet...cars I know about...computers...not so much. But, Firefox handles your site MUCH better than Windows.

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:23 am

I don't load the ads on Firefox...maybe that's why it's smoother.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:23 am

Leech.

The status bar is usually on the lower left of the window. It doesn't tell you a whole lot but it tells you what site it's connecting to or trying to connect to. Usually the connection to this site is pretty good but one to an ad server might take a while. But the ads load independently of the pages, so that should only be a small irritation rather than a problem. It can affect transition pages like the "Thanks for posting" type page because it's waiting for the page to fully load but you can click "take me to the post" or whatever in that case. Or you can use the Quick Reply, which doesn't go to a transition page. Now and then Google Analytics (which I've been watching closely since we had that traffic overload problem) might take a while, also, but it shouldn't affect the pages loading. Microsoft's browsers are funny, though, and they might render pages in a way that things that shouldn't affect them do.

Sidenote on ad loading - I've been considering switching to a new method of calling them that's supposed to be better in a few ways, including load time. Only drawback though, other than it being a real pain to set up, is that maybe once or twice a year a bad connection to Google could cause pages to not load at all. That wouldn't be good.

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:49 am

Thanks for the response, JQP...the Lenovo I bought a couple years ago is just plain bad. I got a DELL last Fall, and everything works much better, but I have found Firefox preferable to Windows in all ways...at least they more than meet my demands. If I try to connect to this site using Windows I get tossed off-line every so often...it hooks back up immediately, but whatever I was doing was lost.