General off topic garbage

Members only. No guests or bots allowed.
Brooke

Re: General off topic garbage

Post by Brooke » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:35 pm

fordama: CNN at least has Zakaria, Amanpour to cover international news well, and Gupta for medical news.
You don't mean Fareed Zakaria do you? :oops: Gosh fordama how many times does this guy have to be accused of plagiarism before he is fired and fades into the sunset? The articles below are recent BTW. The Huffington Post link has several articles about him.
Newsweek adds plagiarism warning to Fareed Zakaria articles
http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/201 ... 96287.html
Fareed Zakaria Plagiarism - Huffington Post
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/fare ... lagiarism/
Who in their right mind uses a welcome sign to mean people who would come into their home uninvited, paid by their neighbors who are using their illegal labor, overrun the neighborhood, and refuse to leave?

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:37 pm

Employees of Fox News Channel have responded that news reporting and political commentary operate independently of each other and have denied any bias in news reporting.

A 2014 poll by Robert Morris University finds that Fox News is the most trusted for accurate reporting among the major television news organizations. 18.4% of the 1,004 respondents named Fox as "most trusted" while CNN drew 11.9%, with no others over 7.5% trust.

Hysterical. Ratings and poll numbers are now proof of accuracy.

Awesome!
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:44 pm

And yet the one thing Zakaria hasn't been accused of is being wrong in his reporting, though. I also notice that none of that had anything to do with his on-air reporting

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Brooke

Post by Brooke » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:39 pm

Yeah, really hysterical Wabash. All the big news stations and political folks use polls for information. Anymore wisdom to add?
Who in their right mind uses a welcome sign to mean people who would come into their home uninvited, paid by their neighbors who are using their illegal labor, overrun the neighborhood, and refuse to leave?

Brooke

Post by Brooke » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:42 pm

You are drowning fordama. :roll:

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:02 pm

Maybe, but it would only be one personality that was drowning.

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:11 am

Yeah, really hysterical Wabash. All the big news stations and political folks use polls for information. Anymore wisdom to add?

Yes, here is some wisdom.

Ratings aren't an indication of accurate news reporting.

This is a ridiculous conclusion.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

sbayhills

Post by sbayhills » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:59 am

Wabash wrote:It wasn't that long ago we were all going to die from Ebola. Yet here we are.
Wabash wrote: Ratings aren't an indication of accurate news reporting

You complain about accuracy in reporting, yet you made a comment about Fox News which is an outright lie, and you can't support.

If you want to be taken seriously, please admit that your Ebola comment was not truthful, and did not come from any reporting at Fox.

I challenge you to step up and correct yourself.
Last edited by John Q. Public on Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed the rule violation

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:11 am

Wow, sbay is parsing one word in a generally accurate description and he thinks he's won the Jeopardy Tournament of Champions!

Both FOX and CNN were fearmongering on ebola. Fear sells, and they shoveled it. Each network had one guy that said "wait a minute," but other than that it was 24 hours of "oh s--t, we're all gonna bleed from the eyes and die! (Read that sentence in Lewis Black's voice.)

That's why I turn to NPR, the BBC, and even Al Jazeera for more accurate commentary than on American cable news shows.

Fordama

sbayhills

Post by sbayhills » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:31 am

I was wondering how long it would take you to step up and offer support to your fallen comrade. Your definition of "generally accurate" obviously depends on which side of the debate that person is on. No surprise there, I'm probably guilty of the same. At least you admit that the Cable Networks all ran with this one.

Don't you think that if someone is taking a News Organization to task for accuracy in reporting, that the example they use should be accurate?

sbayhills

Post by sbayhills » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:36 am

That's why I turn to NPR, the BBC, and even Al Jazeera for more accurate commentary than on American cable news shows.

I'm curious, do you suggest to your students to turn to these sources for more accurate commentary?

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:38 am

Um, I teach math and coach basketball.

Fordama

sbayhills

Post by sbayhills » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:41 am

I know. You didn't answer the question.

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:43 am

Do you tell your neighbors to clean their lighthouses with mineral oil?

Is there a contest for questions not connected to the thread?

Fordama

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:23 am

SBH, like your twin bro Luca you like to become pedantic when it is convenient.

Have a nice day.

Brooke

Re: Is the OCConnect party over?

Post by Brooke » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:47 pm

BTW John, where is my unread message hiding? I still can't find it.

Brooke

Post by Brooke » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:06 pm

not4u13:I'm willing to start a new experiement ... in fact I have already started ... with mixed results.
Where, I want to see it?

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:10 pm

Bev....get creative for a change. Use your head to solve problems rather than demanding answers to questions that are relatively simple. You want to control everything. Be an observer for a while. We need the break.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Brooke

Post by Brooke » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:23 pm

not4u13 announced that he is starting and has started a new experiment with mixed results. I expressed interest by asking him where it is so that I can look at it.

So why would you make an inappropriate comment such as this:
Parrotpaul: Bev....get creative for a change. Use your head to solve problems rather than demanding answers to questions that are relatively simple. You want to control everything. Be an observer for a while. We need the break.
It, in fact, has nothing to do with you Parrotpaul? Nor have I made any demands. Again, in fact, I said that I want to observe, that is what looking at something is. You seem to be awfully confused. Why are you riding interference for someone who is perfectly capable of responding to posts that are directly addressed to him?

You say, we need a break? Where is the we? I am trying to communicate with not4u13 not you.

Your behavior is odd for someone who advocates for peace, quiet and no conflicts because your comments invite just the opposite. Usually people who advocate for peace are themselves peaceful, happy and well-adjusted just by their own nature and are natural role models of what they preach. You aren't.

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:26 pm

Bev....I should be ashamed of myself, but I can't help it. Thanks for playing, and thanks for explaining all of that.

Hint: search not4u's threads and posts...he hasn't had that many lately. Can't be all that hard to winnow them down to a thread or two. Besides, he said it is an experiment....it's like you're asking where the Easter bunny hid the eggs in advance of the party. Know what I mean?
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke