Ok, I'm just getting bizarre ads

Members only. No guests or bots allowed.
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Ok, I'm just getting bizarre ads

Post by John Q. Public » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:03 pm

I'm looking at one for Scientology, another for women's clothing (C'mon Google! I only do that on weekends!), another for some kind of scrapbooking thing and one that says "Isolation and analysis of exosome subsets - Free webinar!" Maybe I should attend. I don't even know what that means. I got one the other day for some sheet metal distributor in Ohio.

I don't have the advantage of trying to "influence" the ones I see, so I get whatever strange ones some misfiring algorithm decides to show me. And strange they are! Oil drilling tools! ¡Seguros de auto! And Amazon still thinks I'm a potential customer for that $120,000 TV (HEY! Free shipping!) I was reading the comments on. They're pretty funny if you don't mind seeing ads for it for the next year or so. But hey! They might be better than toenail fungus, no?
Don't look at me, I just work here.

crayegg
Oversight Committee

Re: Ok, I'm just getting bizarre ads

Post by crayegg » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:50 pm

Much better than toenail fungus. But might your browsing on the rest of the web influence the ads you see?

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:17 pm

Sure. That''s where the Amazon ones come from and a couple others. And I've clicked ads on other sites to try to influence them but maybe those advertisers don't bid on sites like ours because it didn't work as well. But I've never looked up sheet metal or oil drilling tools and I very rarely look at Spanish language sites. Filipino brides maybe, but.... :mrgreen:

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:22 am

Alright. Anybody else getting this one? Maybe that's where the sheet metal one came from.
Attachments
wabash ad.jpg

Troglodyte

Post by Troglodyte » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:58 pm

Looks like the culprit printed his name on that ad.... :lol:
I don't suffer from any mental illnesses.. I enjoy them..

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Fri May 22, 2015 1:05 am

I thought this one was for some kind of franchise opportunity, like mobile dog groomers. You go to people's houses and do card tricks for them. Then I saw the MS logo.

Thinkin' about it, though. :-k
Display_12_MSFT_DevEva_Mobile_Display-728x90_1.gif
Display_12_MSFT_DevEva_Mobile_Display-728x90_1.gif (11.18 KiB) Viewed 549 times

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:13 am

Ok, is this one supposed to be a joke? It seems to me to be inspired by FUBAR but I wouldn't think the people it would be aimed at would know what FUBAR means. And it doesn't seem like a good way to sell it to them if they do. Makes me think of aluminum shavings and rodent hairs. Some kind of joke by a retiring ad man maybe? Somebody not pleased with the client? They wouldn't do that on purpose would they?
FIBAR.jpg
FIBAR.jpg (24.27 KiB) Viewed 530 times

Luca

Post by Luca » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:23 pm

I didn't want to bring it up, GQ because I assumed the problem was just me and my impressive incompetence with computers. I don't have any problem on my laptop at home, my desktop at the office, or my iPad. But when I try to get OC connect on my iPhone every third or fourth time I touch the screen I get these bizarre ads for goofy computer games with Kate Upton asking me if I want to come play with her. I do not.

Is it my iPhone or is it something on OC connect? I have to close Safari and start all over again each time and it pisses me off........................Luca

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:52 pm

Does Kate Upton do windows and floors?
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:36 pm

On a phone you should get one little ad at the top that would be too small to recognize anybody and a bigger one at the bottom that most people probably wouldn't even get to. Anything else, I'd have no idea where it came from. The content I can't explain, either. You get what you get. Especially on mobile. They don't seem to have any connection to much of anything.

You shouldn't get any popups or redirects but always let me know if you do. The networks I deal with will want to know. They don't want them, either. If you do get one, also tell me what other ads are on the page. Anything annoying like that would most likely come from one of them, so I'd need to know.

But I did have a copy of Opera a year or so ago that was giving me really bad ads that were coming from somewhere in the browser itself. I ditched it. I have no use for a browser with a vulnerability like that. I doubt that would happen with Safari.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:41 pm

Thanks, but I'll pass.
cornhole ad.jpg

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:00 pm

Tabletop Corn Hole sounds like something from the Hillbilly Kama Sutra
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump