The Benefits of Debating

Members only. No guests or bots allowed.
Brooke

The Benefits of Debating

Post by Brooke » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:29 pm

Academic research has proven that engaging in debate results in numerous benefits. Honing skills in debate can improve cognitive and presentation skills that may be life-changing for some individuals. These skills cannot be learned in any other setting. Debaters also acquire educational benefits as they learn through researching their topics.

Debating helps learners to see the power of deploying rational, reasoned arguments and compelling evidence. It enables them to illustrate their point of view through the use of skilled rhetoric. It also instills a greater sense of poise and confidence, which of course depends on the honesty and facts presented in their views. It teaches the skills of researching, organizing, and presenting information in a compelling fashion.
Who in their right mind uses a welcome sign to mean people who would come into their home uninvited, paid by their neighbors who are using their illegal labor, overrun the neighborhood, and refuse to leave?

Fordama

Re: The Benefits of Debating

Post by Fordama » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:41 am

It's a good thing to become a master debater.

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Brooke

Post by Brooke » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:51 pm

I cannot recall anything of substance that you have ever offered in the years we have shared the same forums, so we know you fail to see the benefits. Any suggestions of trying to raise the quality level of the board is ridiculed by you. Your history of posts tell that story for you.
Who in their right mind uses a welcome sign to mean people who would come into their home uninvited, paid by their neighbors who are using their illegal labor, overrun the neighborhood, and refuse to leave?

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:52 pm

Stay on topic, brooke. Learning to do so may make you into a master debater.

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:03 pm

One should strive to be a master debater. Whether it's done alone or with someone else.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:19 pm

My 1973 State Champ debate team had four master debaters. My novice not quite master debater squad could have handed Bev her ass...handily. Bev doesn't take coaching well...slow on the up-take. Lack of topic focus is a weakness. GO RAMS!!!! :mrgreen:

Bev..."academic research" does not mean using entirely far-right blog sites and what they contend as evidence.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Brooke

Post by Brooke » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:00 pm

:lol: WHAT? Advice from fordama whose modus operandi is to screw up every thread. :roll:

Brooke

Post by Brooke » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:07 pm

Parrotpaul, my opinions come from common sense, reason and research. It is beyond belief that you give advice to me about where I get my research when I obviously apply reason and common sense to anything I learn.

It is unbelievable that you would dare to give me advice about right wing web sites when your political views are extremely destructive to your own country and its citizens! No one can take what you say seriously.

I find it hard to believe that you taught debate considering you avoid it at all costs here where it would be invaluable to you.

BTW, no one could hand me my ass as long as I use facts, common sense and reason to form my opinions. Why don't you try it? Then you won't have to run away.

Brooke

Post by Brooke » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:09 pm

Lack of topic focus!

What a joke. With you guys trying every trick in your ragged little pack-packs to distract me from the subject. Have you no shame?

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:12 pm

Shame? This is a thread about debate and debating...so debate the contentions...that's what debate is all about. Three posters are essentially contending your posting this thread should go under the "comedy" topics.

What you know about debate couldn't stuff a mushroom.

It is unbelievable that you would dare to give me advice about right wing web sites when your political views are extremely destructive to your own country and its citizens! No one can take what you say seriously.

I find it hard to believe that you taught debate considering you avoid it at all costs here where it would be invaluable to you

Once again you prove my contention...thanks. Focus...the topic is "debate."
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Brooke

Post by Brooke » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:25 pm

On this board and the last I cleaned your clock regularly. If you were a teacher of debate then why aren't your skills apparent to everyone?

You can never win a debate with me because you don't use facts or reason. Your views are destructive to western civilization and our way of life; and I am being kind by saying that. Ditto Wabash and fordama.

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:29 pm

I guess you told me, Bev. :D

Now, please, tell us more....I'm enjoying the info and the discussion.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:59 pm

Brooke, at the risk of getting warned or banned, let me say as delicately as I can what everyone else is apparently too politically correct to tell you: Please shut up. Everyone is tired of you posting for nine years and 19,000 posts on the same subject. Nobody wants you here, and nobody is going to exchange posts with you except to poke fun at you. How dense does a person have to be to not realize that? Please go away.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:41 pm

And as long as I'm on a roll, for all the highly enlightened liberal elite on this forum, just how big of an intellectual inferiority complex does it take to gang-bully this woman month after month and year after year? Jesus, guys, give it a rest. Find some other crippled puppy to abuse for a while.

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:49 pm

We're the bullies? Good one, MDDAD.

After the crap she's laid on us for all these years...maybe someone with a button should solve the nine year problem girl in a nanosecond. Ya think?

Don't try shifting the blame to the "liberal elite." That's shake our head stuff when it comes to Bev and her Looney Tunes and smear jobs.

Any suggestions for a new crippled puppy such as Bev we liberal elite can intellectually toy with?

Brooke

Post by Brooke » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:25 pm

I haven't laid any crap on anyone! :shock:

All I want is an explanation of why these guys support policies that damage their own country and citizens? What is so tough about that?

You guys hold these views - why?

Brooke

Post by Brooke » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:28 pm

MDDad: And as long as I'm on a roll, for all the highly enlightened liberal elite on this forum, just how big of an intellectual inferiority complex does it take to gang-bully this woman month after month and year after year? Jesus, guys, give it a rest. Find some other crippled puppy to abuse for a while.
I always ask reasonable questions. It's obvious why they cannot answer them.

Brooke

Post by Brooke » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:34 pm

MDDad: Nobody wants you here,

That's not true.
MDDad: and nobody is going to exchange posts with you except to poke fun at you.
That is not true either and it's also rude and insulting.
MDDad: How dense does a person have to be to not realize that? Please go away.
No one asked your opinion. I will tell you as delicately as possible to mind your own business. You go away.

Troglodyte

Post by Troglodyte » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:16 pm

Be nice if things worked that way, Brooke. But some of our inmates go by Robert's Rules of Disorder.. :lol:
Tis better to throw a wrench into a thread they can't logically refute, than to stand by with their mouth open.
Then it is much more fun for them to kick and abuse a crippled puppy than to actually defend their positions.
Their minds are made up. Don't confuse them with different ideas.. Hurts them to think.
The big question is; Why do you stick around and take their crap? I would have left a long time ago...
I don't suffer from any mental illnesses.. I enjoy them..

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:18 pm

Trog, you've got enough women at your beck. Quit trolling for another!!! :lol:

In the meantime, debate is kind of like an argument, yes?

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]