How About Inviting Some Old Members Back?

Members only. No guests or bots allowed.
Brooke

Post by Brooke » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:54 pm

This place has become boring as hell. How about inviting back some old members like theLIBERTARIAN, RSM789, GOODave, and Biscuit are folks I like.

Are tLIB and theLIBERTARIAN the same person?

Whatever happened to 18echo? It seems he just talks to Wabash every few months?
Who in their right mind uses a welcome sign to mean people who would come into their home uninvited, paid by their neighbors who are using their illegal labor, overrun the neighborhood, and refuse to leave?

Parrotpaul

Re: How About Inviting Some Old Members Back?

Post by Parrotpaul » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:29 pm

So, we can conclude the people around here you don't like you constantly badger, harass, demean, ridicule, and just generally trash. Prove to me that is not a reasonable conclusion.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

not4u13

Post by not4u13 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:31 am

How about a trade. One Brooke for a few veteran posters.

You have an incredible knack for ruining this place Brooke. I was trying to invoke an intelligent conversation on the influence of click-bait on the media and our population and you come along and go completely off topic, slamming me for who knows what reason and getting the topic locked. Those who were not kicked out were run off by people like you who seem to have enough free time to take pot shots at posters instead of engaging in intellectual discussion. No wonder the place is boring.

Tell me Brooke. What was your purpose for wading into the thread and hijacking it anyway?
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:59 am

It was there.

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Brooke

Post by Brooke » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:34 pm

not4u13: I was trying to invoke an intelligent conversation on the influence of click-bait on the media and our population and you come along and go completely off topic, slamming me for who knows what reason and getting the topic locked.
not4u13, you are being dishonest. I didn't hijack the thread and I didn't slam you personally as MDDad did me.

Show here:
MDDad: Brooke, you're really showing your ignorance here.

I was following the rules of the forum and directly discussing one of your statements shown here:
not4u13: We have to actively seek out opposing views, try them on and maybe even argue in their favor, before we can get a complete picture.
Why didn't you jump in and defend what you said?

I was laying out and defining what an argument is when the thread was locked. I don't know why John did not let it play out. It was legitimate.
Who in their right mind uses a welcome sign to mean people who would come into their home uninvited, paid by their neighbors who are using their illegal labor, overrun the neighborhood, and refuse to leave?

not4u13

Post by not4u13 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:02 pm

There is this thing called a topic. When you pick a single line from a post and debate it, it doesn't mean you are staying on topic for the thread. If you had wanted to discuss the efficacy of my statement, you could have started a new thread on discussion and debate tactics. That would have been far more appropriate. HIjacking a thread is when you do exactly what you just did (and frankly I just hijacked your thread for my purposes).
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:46 pm

not4u wrote:(and frankly I just hijacked your thread for my purposes).
:giggle: Very good. =D>

BTW, the topic was closed because the subject of the discussion became each other, rather than something resembling the topic. Same as most threads that find themselves closed.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:49 pm

Oh. Does tLIB still have his board? I haven't been able to read it since he changed it to members only.

Brooke

Post by Brooke » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:16 pm

not4u13: I was trying to invoke an intelligent conversation on the influence of click-bait on the media and our population
If you want us to have a conversation about a certain topic then how about choosing one that isn't cloaked in jargon that only a few understand?

What does influence of click-bait mean? I don't know what click-bait means. How about a translation?

Brooke

Post by Brooke » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:19 pm

JQP: BTW, the topic was closed because the subject of the discussion became each other, rather than something resembling the topic. Same as most threads that find themselves closed.
Thank you John! I wish you had made this clear eons ago! It would have cleared up a lot of confusion for me.

BTW, I don't take threads off-topic on purpose. When I see something I disagree with I say so.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:50 pm

Brooke wrote:
not4u13: I was trying to invoke an intelligent conversation on the influence of click-bait on the media and our population
If you want us to have a conversation about a certain topic then how about choosing one that isn't cloaked in jargon that only a few understand?

What does influence of click-bait mean? I don't know what click-bait means. How about a translation?
He made the subject very clear in the OP. Trouble is you had to, like, think to discuss it. I wish we could have more like it. But that would mean people would have to think and actually analyze the subject, rather than going for an easy cut and paste or blaming it on Bush/Obama. Call it a bucket list wish.

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:56 pm

Bev... you have to bring something to a discussion. If you have nothing to bring, watch and read for a while. You might even learn something rather than barging into a topic of which you have no clue and demanding answers to your vast array of stock questions.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

18echo
Oversight Committee

Post by 18echo » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:44 am

John Q. Public wrote:I wish we could have more like it. But that would mean people would have to think and actually analyze the subject
This is what a lot of posters were looking for here.
John Q. Public wrote: rather than going for an easy cut and paste or blaming it on Bush/Obama.
This is why they left.
"Hoc spatium adsuesco assuesco pro profunda rhetoricam."

Red

Post by Red » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:43 am

I didn't leave. I don't want to post a response and wait days for it to be posted. Responding is more trouble than it's worth, so I'll just read the football posts and be on my way. I don't think I want to be involved in the MD/Servite battle this season.
Liberalism is like an out-of-control 5 year old at McDonalds. All the talking to and admonishment won't make a difference. They have no concept of right or wrong, they are nothing more than narcissists.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:56 am

And we haven't had a post about Hillary's legs in over a year.

Unfortunately those were only a small part of the problem. We still get plenty that are just as lame. I miss tLib and his brother, tDad, and some of the others who've moved away or moved on. I don't miss any who didn't leave on their own.

Sometimes I think it's the people, sometimes I think it's the format, sometimes I think it's both, sometimes it's something else altogether. I realize we aren't going to get William F. Buckley material from people who are only here for ten minutes or from people who are misinformed in the first place, but I know I sure get tired of deleting garbage and closing threads.

Red

Post by Red » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:09 pm

:lol: I got rid of that picture months ago. I don't need to beat on her any longer. She is doing a great job herself. Other than that, I have been a stellar citizen.
Liberalism is like an out-of-control 5 year old at McDonalds. All the talking to and admonishment won't make a difference. They have no concept of right or wrong, they are nothing more than narcissists.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:38 pm

I noticed the change...it's like you're a totally different person.
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Red

Post by Red » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:42 pm

Now you see there? Thanks for noticing Omar. BTW, nice little digs on some of the Servite fans. Speaking of Old Members.....Where is EDAC? I really miss him.

Luca

Post by Luca » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:24 pm

We already have old members. Have you ever seen MDDad?.......................Luca

Brooke

Post by Brooke » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:30 am

Red: I don't want to post a response and wait days for it to be posted. Responding is more trouble than it's worth, so I'll just read the football posts and be on my way.
I was so bored I recently rejoined billoreilly.com. You may want to try it Red, but it will cost you $4.95 per month or $49.95 per year. There is a quarterly rate too I think.

Lots of nice people. In fact, so nice moderators are never heard from. People from all over the United States. Also there are polls that members can participate in, which can be fun if you want your opinion out there. Some of the poll results go to the White House.

Also members can make comments on what Bill writes about the different issues as well as his guest writers like Bernie Goldberg, Judge Napolitano, John Stossel and others. There are other activities as well like web cams, backstage with Bill, "stuff" I know nothing about. :D