Ads again?

Members only. No guests or bots allowed.
ShiftyMutt

Ads again?

Post by ShiftyMutt » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:35 pm

Soon after I come on this site I get a pop up ad that I won something (scam) or most times it's an app ad. How do I stop this? This is actually the fourth time I tried to make this post before it times out and I get redirected to, usually the game app.
It's only been about the last two or three days ..
Attachments
image.jpg

joefutbol

Re: Ads again?

Post by joefutbol » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:37 pm

It happens to me on my iphone all the time.

ShiftyMutt

Post by ShiftyMutt » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:38 pm

Oh.. And it says "youradexchange.com" in the address bar.

Luca

Post by Luca » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:40 pm

Me too, but the ads are for some BS video games. It's hard to sign on from my iPhone (it only happens on my iPhone) and it was damned hard to send a post from the game last night.................Luca

ShiftyMutt

Post by ShiftyMutt » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:43 pm

I'm on an iPad so must be an apple thing?

Yeah, I've relogged in several times.

Luca

Post by Luca » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:01 pm

That's weird. It doesn't happen on my iPad or my laptop.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:41 pm

Two questions - One, did it start around the first of the month, and two, do you have a best guess at whether it came from the top ad or the bottom one?

Prices and fill rates have both been unusually low this month and the lower the price gets, the more likely you are to get junk. I'll email my reps but for now, my only quick defense is to set the minimum price much higher than it should be. I doubled the price on the ones that show on mobile, so once the requests take, you should start seeing more blank spots and Smokey the Bear type PSAs. I don't get paid for those, but whatever.

The best defense you have is to "encourage" the higher quality ones. An occasional visit to one of the advertisers' sites, whether it's by clicking an ad or going there on your own will do that. Looking at something on Amazon is usually good for that sort of thing. I'm not asking for clicks - none of our ads pay that way, and unusual increases in clicking activity send up red flags so please don't do that - but you do have some power in influencing the ads you see.

Lastly, Garbage In, Garbage Ads. Low quality content attracts low quality ads. Good quality discussion enhances the site's reputation and attracts better quality ads - which is pretty much the answer to Luca's other question.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

ShiftyMutt

Post by ShiftyMutt » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:53 pm

I have no answer to whether it came from top or bottom ad but I seem to have been bombarded with them only the last few days (seven times to log in to make this topic). Only on occasion did it happen before.

I cleared cache and history, also did a hard shutdown.. So far so good.

Thanks for explaining, JQP

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:42 pm

Have they gone away? I see that my price change is working, at least on the first level. The second level looks like the price is just a little higher. The fill rate is abysmal - 13%. But I guess that's a good thing. Keeps the riff raff out. Hopefully.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

ShiftyMutt

Post by ShiftyMutt » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:40 pm

Everything seems good-to-go now. I did get a different pop up "from Apple" that said I had a virus, but it was a hoax and I wasn't on this site.

Everything seems fine now, thanks again!