OC Connect wants to access my location

Members only. No guests or bots allowed.
crayegg
Oversight Committee

OC Connect wants to access my location

Post by crayegg » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:26 am

While perusing the board on my phone, it told me OC Connect wanted to access the location feature on my phone and whether I wanted allow access or block it. I just closed the box without answering.

What's up with that, JQP???

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Re: OC Connect wants to access my location

Post by John Q. Public » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:24 am

It's for my report to the NSA. :wink:

I guess an ad wanted to know. I checked the box to not allow it so it should stop. At least from the primary provider. The secondary one doesn't give me the option, so no guarantees, but not many calls are being passed to them right now. Just close it or say no. Or say yes if you want to know about some "great offer only available to people in Stanton" or wherever you are. --:--

Which reminds me. Is anybody getting any particularly junky ads? One, that tends to happen in January, and two, the floor prices got set to zero yesterday. I'm trying to find out why. I'd had them set higher than they probably should be to try to keep junk out, so I'm a little concerned. If you do, same solution as always. Shop for something. Or at least window shop. Amazon and Home Depot are especially good for that.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Luca

Post by Luca » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:50 am

I am. But only on my iPhone and only on this site. For about four months I have randomly had the page switched over to some adolescent looking advertisement for video games................................Luca

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:18 pm

I get no ads if I use Explorer....plenty of ads with Chrome (which I am liking less and less), and Firefox as well (becoming my primary browser). I think Microsoft is killing off Explorer...there are lots of thing it no longer does that it once did.

I don't have a smart phone...pain in the ass, and not owning one tends to keep me sane. :mrgreen:
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:49 pm

The mobile redirects are the ones I'm most concerned about - and the hardest ones to track down, since you can't look at the source code to see where it came from on a phone. And those are the ones I had the price set especially high on to try to block that. But the primary provider says they're picking up around 85% of mobile ads right now (it was about 7%) and they're probably the most trustworthy, so let me know if you get any today. It could be that my strategy was backwards. Safety first.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:54 pm

Ppaul - Yes, IE isn't being updated anymore, so it is on its way out. I'm surprised it blocks ads. But websites have brought ad blocking upon themselves with all the crap you have to go through to read anything these days, but that's another rant. :steam:

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:19 am

I don't use my phone to read the board very often but I did yesterday and I got a redirect on most everything I clicked on. I never get them on my tablet, so I thought we'd gotten rid of them. Apparently not.

Well, we have now. I removed the ads and they'll stay gone until I'm fairly confident we won't get redirects from them. I'm a little surprised that they seem to be so common because the ad networks claim to be pretty vigilant about not allowing them. Maybe not.

And sorry about the outage this morning. It was a planned software update that seems to have taken a few minutes longer than the host was expecting.

And speaking of tablets, does anybody else think the text size should be bigger on the mobile version? It's tiny on mine.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Wed May 25, 2016 7:16 am

They're baaaaack.

It was too good to last, right? For some reason Google re-accepted us for Adsense and I've been testing ads while I've been working on the new mobile style (coming along, but slowly) and I haven't had any problems. These are only from Adsense, half of them seem to be text (Google makes those themselves) and they should be the safest ones in the business. But, as always, let me know if there are any problems with them.

You might get one that asks about your location. Click Yes or No depending on your paranoia level and I'll ask my account manager if there's a way of turning that off. I haven't seen one so far.

Something kind of kewl about these (at least to the geek in me) is that they're responsive. They change size depending on your device or its orientation. My account manager recommended that I put one in that stays anchored at the bottom or one that pops up between pages. I said, "Uh, no."