New word added to the word censor

Members only. No guests or bots allowed.
John Q. Public
Site Admin

New word added to the word censor

Post by John Q. Public » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:44 pm

It seems that Google Adsense, which is sort of critical to the site's staying alive, has decided that a commonly used slang term for "transmission" and "transsexual" (rhymes with "Granny") is "dangerous or derogatory content" and is a violation of their terms and conditions. And so I had to remove or edit all 54 occurrences of it and add it to the censoring list. But now that I did, I see their point. It has been used twice to mean "transmission," twice innocently to mean "transsexual" and 50 times as a pejorative. Those were deleted and the others were edited. I'm just thankful this isn't an automotive site. Fifty-four of them took long enough to go through.

So. Proofread. That's what the "Preview" button is for. And don't come whining to me when you try to insult someone and call him a transmission. And, as always, trying to fool the word censor will likely get you a warning - especially in this case, since I didn't get a choice in the matter.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

BostonDave

Re: New word added to the word censor

Post by BostonDave » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:57 pm

Censorship is inherently evil.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:45 pm

We didn't use a word censor for about three years. Then we got some members who felt they had to add ******* to every sentence. Now we do. It isn't my personal preference but for the sake of the board, I thought it was necessary to turn it on.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:18 pm

BostonDave wrote:Censorship is inherently evil.
Do you consider being careful of your language in public to be censorship?
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

BostonDave

Post by BostonDave » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:59 am

Omar Bongo wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:18 pm
BostonDave wrote:
Censorship is inherently evil.

Do you consider being careful of your language in public to be censorship?
Thats more like self censorship. It's not being imposed on me. I tend not to use too many ********** around grandma. Now grandpa is another story.

**So far it seems most of my favorite words are censored.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:22 am

They are because too many people don't understand the need to self-censor in public. And this site is definitely public.

BostonDave

Post by BostonDave » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:09 pm

Not from the **** I had to do to get in here. It was like a two or three step process. Not taking the time to remember how many exactly. I was directed here from the other Orange County forum. The one full of Cro-Magnons. Must be a completely different platform because there's no censorship there. They were unkind to this place.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:48 pm

I don't know what Your Logo Here's process is but ours is similar to most other forums and many blogs that still allow comments. You fill out a form, enter a CAPTCHA code, hit submit and then click a link in a confirmation email. Just about all sites that allow input do that. The only place that we differ - and many sites have started doing this - is that we screen new members' first few posts. Two reasons for that. One is that we get a good number of spammers trying to post and it lets us delete them without their posts junking up the board. The other is that it helps us identify people who've been banned and are trying to sneak back in. Most don't try but a few have seemed downright desperate to.

Hang around for a while and you can make up your own mind about the unkindness. But I will say that three of the people on that board were banned from here - you can probably pick out which ones and the reasons why. Some of the others just seem to have vivid imaginations.

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:37 pm

John Q. Public wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:48 pm
Some of the others just seem to have vivid imaginations.
That's putting it mildly...and kindly.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada