Best Concert You've Ever Been To

User avatar
Parrotpaul
Posts: 33551
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:14 pm
Has thanked: 1 time

Re: Best Concert You've Ever Been To

Post by Parrotpaul » Sat May 21, 2011 7:19 am

Clapton...never put on a bad show.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

User avatar
John Q. Public
Site Admin
Posts: 19900
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:56 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Best Concert You've Ever Been To

Post by John Q. Public » Sat May 21, 2011 7:33 am

I saw too many great shows to even try to single any out, but a few memorable ones were:

The Allman Bros. (with Brother Duane) at the Santa Monica Civic
The Dead at the Hollywood Bowl
Front row at the Roxy for Peter Gabriel
Festival seating in a small arena for ELP. Man, they were loud!
Canned Heat at our High School dance.
The Mystic Knights of the Oingo Boingo (the cabaret band version) at the MSAC theater
Any and all of the early LA punk bands (never got to go to the Masque, though)

Biggest miss, other than Elton John, was Van Halen at a bar in Pomona. Something involving a girl I was dating and her psycho ex who hung out there. I wanted to go but I wasn't about to.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Red
Posts: 17717
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:33 pm

Re: Best Concert You've Ever Been To

Post by Red » Sat May 21, 2011 7:39 am

John Q. Public wrote:I saw too many great shows to even try to single any out, but a few memorable ones were:

The Allman Bros. (with Brother Duane) at the Santa Monica Civic
The Dead at the Hollywood Bowl
Front row at the Roxy for Peter Gabriel
Festival seating in a small arena for ELP. Man, they were loud!
Canned Heat at our High School dance.
The Mystic Knights of the Oingo Boingo (the cabaret band version) at the MSAC theater
Any and all of the early LA punk bands (never got to go to the Masque, though)

Biggest miss, other than Elton John, was Van Halen at a bar in Pomona. Something involving a girl I was dating and her psycho ex who hung out there. I wanted to go but I wasn't about to.
Not the best concert, but one of the most memorable shows was at the Rendezvous in Huntington Beach. A local band (Shakey Jake) was playing and I stepped out for a little bit before their last set. When I walked in, the bass player was warming up and on to the stage walked a big black dude strapping on a guitar. It was FREAKING Buddy Miles! Played the last set of the night. Started out with Red House. I am not sure, but I think I was one of the very few who knew who Buddy Miles was before he introduced himself.

User avatar
oceanvue
Posts: 5928
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Best Concert You've Ever Been To

Post by oceanvue » Sat May 21, 2011 8:22 am

oceanvue wrote:Wow Rory Gallagher I forgot about him. I saw Ten Years After (one of my all time favorites) at the Long Beach arena in the early 70's play with Humble Pie

4 of us flew in on the sea plane from Catalina where we attended a private school and went to the concert, stayed in a dump of a motel, and than took the sea plane back the next day. Pretty cool adventure. we used to listen to Rory Gallagher until the needle wore out on out turn tables.
Image

Red
Posts: 17717
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:33 pm

Re: Best Concert You've Ever Been To

Post by Red » Sat May 21, 2011 9:07 am

oceanvue wrote:

4 of us flew in on the sea plane from Catalina where we attended a private school and went to the concert, stayed in a dump of a motel, and than took the sea plane back the next day. Pretty cool adventure. we used to listen to Rory Gallagher until the needle wore out on out turn tables.
Bullfrog Blues
Million Miles
Messing with the Kid
Pistol Slappin Blues

I watched him steal the show from ZZ Top.

BTW, Steve Marriott was the first choice to be the lead singer for Led Zepplin.

User avatar
John Q. Public
Site Admin
Posts: 19900
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:56 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Best Concert You've Ever Been To

Post by John Q. Public » Sat May 21, 2011 9:15 am

Red wrote:I watched him steal the show from ZZ Top.
Not a challenge. They aren't as good live as you'd think they'd be. Very sloppy for having played all the songs so many times. I saw Kiss warm up for them and we should have left then.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Red
Posts: 17717
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:33 pm

Re: Best Concert You've Ever Been To

Post by Red » Sat May 21, 2011 9:18 am

John Q. Public wrote: Not a challenge. They aren't as good live as you'd think they'd be. Very sloppy for having played all the songs so many times. I saw Kiss warm up for them and we should have left then.
Every Rory Gallagher show I have been to, he stole the show. He was a great showman.

User avatar
John Q. Public
Site Admin
Posts: 19900
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:56 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Best Concert You've Ever Been To

Post by John Q. Public » Sat May 21, 2011 9:21 am

Oh. Another disappointment. Long John Baldry. One of the great English bluesmen, for those who don't know who he is. He warmed up for Fleetwood Mac (the real one) and I was excited about getting to see him, but he never faced the audience. He sang his entire set to the band. Annoying.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Red
Posts: 17717
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:33 pm

Re: Best Concert You've Ever Been To

Post by Red » Sat May 21, 2011 9:27 am

John Q. Public wrote:Oh. Another disappointment. Long John Baldry. One of the great English bluesmen, for those who don't know who he is. He warmed up for Fleetwood Mac (the real one) and I was excited about getting to see him, but he never faced the audience. He sang his entire set to the band. Annoying.
So, you have seen the fake Fleetwood Mac? Thank goodness for Rory at that show. People were pissed. Especially after KISS.

User avatar
Parrotpaul
Posts: 33551
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:14 pm
Has thanked: 1 time

Re: Best Concert You've Ever Been To

Post by Parrotpaul » Sat May 21, 2011 9:50 am

Worst concert I ever attended was a Robert Cray concert with dinner in a refurbished movie theater ....the sound was so loud it hurt. Most left....never could understand why sound men would crank the amps to arena level in a dinner/concert venue seating about 300 people. Went to a Buddy Guy concert in the same place and got stuck about four feet from a speaker....I still have the tinitis as a result of that gig. Stopped going to concerts....too expensive...too annoying.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

User avatar
AsIfYouKnew
Posts: 7264
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:01 am

Re: Best Concert You've Ever Been To

Post by AsIfYouKnew » Sat May 21, 2011 9:51 am

1982 At Devonshire Downs

The Chiefs
Wasted Youth
TSOL
Adolescents

We were trying to get up to do a stage dive, and the bass player for TSOL tried to kick me off stage. I grabbed his leg and pulled him into the crowd. My budy grabbed his bass and snapped it at the neck. Jack from TSOL jumped into the crowd and jumped some other dude. He had to play the rest of the set with the bass from the Cheifs (with only three strings).

Fun stuff. :mrgreen:
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
Jonathan Swift

http://www.civilityinamerica.org/en/index.html

User avatar
Parrotpaul
Posts: 33551
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:14 pm
Has thanked: 1 time

Re: Best Concert You've Ever Been To

Post by Parrotpaul » Sat May 21, 2011 9:53 am

AsIfYouKnew wrote:1982 At Devonshire Downs

The Chiefs
Wasted Youth
TSOL
Adolescents

We were trying to get up to do a stage dive, and the bass player for TSOL tried to kick me off stage. I grabbed his leg and pulled him into the crowd. My budy grabbed his bass and snapped it at the neck. Jack from TSOL jumped into the crowd and jumped some other dude. He had to play the rest of the set with the bass from the Cheifs (with only three strings).

Fun stuff. :mrgreen:
I'm beginning to understand you, "the person," a bit better.
Last edited by Parrotpaul on Sat May 21, 2011 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

User avatar
AsIfYouKnew
Posts: 7264
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:01 am

Re: Best Concert You've Ever Been To

Post by AsIfYouKnew » Sat May 21, 2011 9:54 am

Paul wrote: I'm beginning to understand you, "the person," a bit better.
Not even close, Paul. I was 18 then. My idea of fun was quite different then.
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
Jonathan Swift

http://www.civilityinamerica.org/en/index.html

User avatar
John Q. Public
Site Admin
Posts: 19900
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:56 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Best Concert You've Ever Been To

Post by John Q. Public » Sat May 21, 2011 9:57 am

Red wrote: So, you have seen the fake Fleetwood Mac? Thank goodness for Rory at that show. People were pissed. Especially after KISS.
No, I was in the service at that time. My brother did, though. Not the one with Kiss, though. Or he didn't remember them. I'm sure he saw RG at least once, though.

For an interesting research project, look up all of the people who have played with John Mayall's Bluesbreakers. Besides the lineup of Clapton, Fleetwood and Mac, you'll find a lot of surprises.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

User avatar
Parrotpaul
Posts: 33551
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:14 pm
Has thanked: 1 time

Re: Best Concert You've Ever Been To

Post by Parrotpaul » Sat May 21, 2011 9:59 am

Paul wrote: I'm beginning to understand you, "the person," a bit better.
AsIfYouKnew wrote: Not even close, Paul. I was 18 then. My idea of fun was quite different then.
Easy, big guy. Wasn't casting aspersions...don't go all defensive.

But now that you mention it, what caused you to change from an agressive boorish person who didn't mind assaulting people and breaking their property thinking it was great fun? Inquiring minds and all that.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

User avatar
AsIfYouKnew
Posts: 7264
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:01 am

Re: Best Concert You've Ever Been To

Post by AsIfYouKnew » Sat May 21, 2011 10:01 am

Paul wrote:

Easy, big guy. Wasn't casting aspersions...don't go all defensive.

But now that you mention it, what caused you to change from an agressive boorish person who didn't mind assaulting people and breaking their property thinking it was great fun? Inquiring minds and all that.
I wasn't being aggressive, nor did I break anyone's property, Paul. I merely defended myself when some jerk tried to kick me in the face. Have you had your coffee yet, Paul?
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
Jonathan Swift

http://www.civilityinamerica.org/en/index.html

User avatar
Parrotpaul
Posts: 33551
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:14 pm
Has thanked: 1 time

Re: Best Concert You've Ever Been To

Post by Parrotpaul » Sat May 21, 2011 10:06 am

AsIfYouKnew wrote:
I wasn't being aggressive, nor did I break anyone's property, Paul. I merely defended myself when some jerk tried to kick me in the face. Have you had your coffee yet, Paul?
My apologies....I though you said you were going to dive onto his stage, and when that happened he kicked you off...wasn't he defending himself from someone trying to get to where they weren't supposed to be...18 being responsible adults and all...just sayin'.

Another terrible concert...Steven Stills doing a one-man in 1981...came out drunk and told everyone he wasn't going to sing any CSNY tunes.....most left...he was an ass.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

THe Nug
Posts: 1879
Joined: Mon May 12, 2008 2:22 pm

Re: Best Concert You've Ever Been To

Post by THe Nug » Sat May 21, 2011 11:29 am

AsIfYouKnew wrote:1982 At Devonshire Downs

The Chiefs
Wasted Youth
TSOL
Adolescents

We were trying to get up to do a stage dive, and the bass player for TSOL tried to kick me off stage. I grabbed his leg and pulled him into the crowd. My budy grabbed his bass and snapped it at the neck. Jack from TSOL jumped into the crowd and jumped some other dude. He had to play the rest of the set with the bass from the Cheifs (with only three strings).

Fun stuff. :mrgreen:
That's just a good quality show right there.

User avatar
oceanvue
Posts: 5928
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Best Concert You've Ever Been To

Post by oceanvue » Sat May 21, 2011 12:47 pm

Paul wrote:Worst concert I ever attended was a Robert Cray concert with dinner in a refurbished movie theater ....the sound was so loud it hurt. Most left....never could understand why sound men would crank the amps to arena level in a dinner/concert venue seating about 300 people. Went to a Buddy Guy concert in the same place and got stuck about four feet from a speaker....I still have the tinitis as a result of that gig. Stopped going to concerts....too expensive...too annoying.

Robert Cray played a little campus tavern in Eugene off and on for the better part of 2 years in the later 70's
Never really had a huge following. He was doing a George Benson lite impersonation in those days. Buddy Guy I've seen probably 10 times . One time he opened for the Stones in the mid 90's at the MGM. It was the last show of the tour and the only one they did (I was told) Symphony for the Devil. We had these incredible seats (fluke) that were actually slightly behind the band but at the end of a elevated catwalk. When any of the Stones would walk out on the elevated catwalk we would be lit along with the performer. We could almost reach out and touch them. That was one of the better concerts I had ever been to
Image

User avatar
Parrotpaul
Posts: 33551
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:14 pm
Has thanked: 1 time

Re: Best Concert You've Ever Been To

Post by Parrotpaul » Sat May 21, 2011 12:53 pm

oceanvue wrote:

Robert Cray played a little campus tavern in Eugene off and on for the better part of 2 years in the later 70's
Never really had a huge following. He was doing a George Benson lite impersonation in those days. Buddy Guy I've seen probably 10 times . One time he opened for the Stones in the mid 90's at the MGM. It was the last show of the tour and the only one they did (I was told) Symphony for the Devil. We had these incredible seats (fluke) that were actually slightly behind the band but at the end of a elevated catwalk. When any of the Stones would walk out on the elevated catwalk we would be lit along with the performer. We could almost reach out and touch them. That was one of the better concerts I had ever been to
Buddy Guy yaks way too much...I once saw him at a late night concert in a club...it was below zero outside, and Buddy put on his transistorized amp and mike....went to the bar and got a shot of Remy....walked outside and played a few licks for those poor fools waiting in line for the next show. When he plays, he's terrific.....when he talks, it's potty time.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Post Reply