Football player, 1 other held in 'acid bomb' attacks

slowyoroll

Football player, 1 other held in 'acid bomb' attacks

Post by slowyoroll » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:11 pm

MISSION VIEJO – Two men are being held in lieu of $1 million bail after they allegedly tossed an "acid bomb" into a moving car, authorities said, including a local football player who recently signed with Northern Arizona University.

The driver picked up the plastic bottle just as it exploded in his hand, authorities said.

The incident was one of two reported in South County Thursday night, where victims reported four people inside a dark SUV throwing the explosive devices at people.

Known as "acid bombs," the devices are usually made with plastic bottles and dry ice, causing a chain reaction that causes a loud bang.

The first incident was reported at 11:10 p.m. near the intersection of Stockport Street and Paseo de Valencia in Laguna Hills. Pedestrians in the area told deputies someone inside a dark SUV threw the device at them, but no one was injured.

About 20 minutes later, the driver of a 2009 Mazda on Alicia Parkway called authorities after the bottle was thrown into his car, said Sgt. Sandra Kirsch of the Orange County Sheriff's Department. The driver was headed onto the 1-5 freeway.

The man followed the SUV and obtained the license plate number.

Investigators identified the driver as 18-year-old Mitch Melugin, she said.

Melugin, a 2011 graduate of Mission Viejo High School, played defensive end for the Diablos and was listed as one of the Register's O.C. Hot 100 in 2010, a list of the county's top high school players.

Melugin signed with Northern Arizona University earlier this year, a representative from the school's athletic department confirmed.

According to sheriff's records, Robert Jacob Brown, 19, was also taken into custody.

According to arrest records, both men are being held in lieu of $1 million bail.

Melugin was booked on suspicion of possession of an explosive device with the intent to terrify or injure, Kirsch said. He is expected to appear in court Monday.

Brown, whose booking charges were not immediately known, is scheduled. to appear in court Tuesday.

Authorities have identified two minors who were also in the SUV during the two incidents, Kirsch said. They were questioned and released to their parents, she said.

MISSION VIEJO – Two men are being held in lieu of $1 million bail after they allegedly tossed an "acid bomb" into a moving car, authorities said, including a local football player who recently signed with Northern Arizona University.

The driver picked up the plastic bottle just as it exploded in his hand, authorities said.

3 sought, 1 arrested after 'acid bomb' tossed in car
The incident was one of two reported in South County Thursday night, where victims reported four people inside a dark SUV throwing the explosive devices at people.

Known as "acid bombs," the devices are usually made with plastic bottles and dry ice, causing a chain reaction that causes a loud bang.

The first incident was reported at 11:10 p.m. near the intersection of Stockport Street and Paseo de Valencia in Laguna Hills. Pedestrians in the area told deputies someone inside a dark SUV threw the device at them, but no one was injured.

About 20 minutes later, the driver of a 2009 Mazda on Alicia Parkway called authorities after the bottle was thrown into his car, said Sgt. Sandra Kirsch of the Orange County Sheriff's Department. The driver was headed onto the 1-5 freeway.

The man followed the SUV and obtained the license plate number.

Investigators identified the driver as 18-year-old Mitch Melugin, she said.

Melugin, a 2011 graduate of Mission Viejo High School, played defensive end for the Diablos and was listed as one of the Register's O.C. Hot 100 in 2010, a list of the county's top high school players.

Melugin signed with Northern Arizona University earlier this year, a representative from the school's athletic department confirmed.

According to sheriff's records, Robert Jacob Brown, 19, was also taken into custody.

According to arrest records, both men are being held in lieu of $1 million bail.

Melugin was booked on suspicion of possession of an explosive device with the intent to terrify or injure, Kirsch said. He is expected to appear in court Monday.

Brown, whose booking charges were not immediately known, is scheduled. to appear in court Tuesday.

Authorities have identified two minors who were also in the SUV during the two incidents, Kirsch said. They were questioned and released to their parents, she said.

http://www.ocregister.com/news/authorit ... river.html
"IF YOU'RE NOT RICH, IF YOU DON'T HAVE A JOB DON'T BLAME WALL STREET BLAME YOURSELF!"

HERMAN CAIN

IDIOT

slowyoroll

Re: Football player, 1 other held in 'acid bomb' attacks

Post by slowyoroll » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:18 pm

This is serious..I wonder what these kids were thinking?
"IF YOU'RE NOT RICH, IF YOU DON'T HAVE A JOB DON'T BLAME WALL STREET BLAME YOURSELF!"

HERMAN CAIN

IDIOT

RPW

Post by RPW » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:20 pm

That just freed up a scholarship.
I am The Voice of Reason

slowyoroll

Post by slowyoroll » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:21 pm

Sho did..

HERMAN CAIN

IDIOT

SoMelo

Post by SoMelo » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:25 pm

slowyoroll wrote:This is serious..I wonder what these kids were thinking?
I'd say they weren't
... but sounds like South County has bigger
issues

slowyoroll

Post by slowyoroll » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:27 pm

Damn..this is scary...

HERMAN CAIN

IDIOT

Ramon

Post by Ramon » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:39 pm

I was wild in my youth..Tried pretty much everything except Heroin & Crack...And I have to tell you...If you're stupid enough to get hooked on Horse and Crack...That's just Darwinism...People need to use common sense sometimes...What is happening to our youth????
Never Underestimate The Heart Of A Monarch
Back to Back CIF-SS Division 1, CIF State Open Division and National Football Champions

mdmagic32

Post by mdmagic32 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:52 pm

Ramon wrote:I was wild in my youth..Tried pretty much everything except Heroin & Crack...And I have to tell you...If you're stupid enough to get hooked on Horse and Crack...That's just Darwinism...People need to use common sense sometimes...What is happening to our youth????

i think it may be more about what is happening to their parents? the parents many times are wrapped up in their own lives and figure cause they live in exclusive communities and have large bank accounts that the kids will turn out ok. the kids of course are saddled with the same issue that many children have. that they will live forever and they are immune to it all. sadly it is not the case

Buc Pride

Post by Buc Pride » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:57 pm

Ramon wrote:I was wild in my youth..Tried pretty much everything except Heroin & Crack...And I have to tell you...If you're stupid enough to get hooked on Horse and Crack...That's just Darwinism...People need to use common sense sometimes...What is happening to our youth????

Problem is OXY, Vikes, and a lot of other opiates are WAY more availble these days. Also the stigma has been removed. When I was a kid, H was H and everybody was pretty much scared of it. Now they package it in so many ways.
rent saw

slowyoroll

Post by slowyoroll » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:59 pm

Buc Pride wrote:

Problem is OXY, Vikes, and a lot of other opiates are WAY more availble these days. Also the stigma has been removed. When I was a kid, H was H and everybody was pretty much scared of it. Now they package it in so many ways.

Yep, any many kids are getting it right from their parents medicine cabinets...
US pill problem is bigger than anyone really wants to talk about..We consume more meds than the world combined..

HERMAN CAIN

IDIOT

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:34 pm

I can hear his mom now, "Boys will be boys". His whole life she said that.
"Beer is proof that God wanted us all to be happy"- Ben Franklin

slowyoroll

Post by slowyoroll » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:35 pm

BoJack wrote:I can hear his mom now, "Boys will be boys". His whole life she said that.
This was an acid bomb..not cheating on your girlfriend..

HERMAN CAIN

IDIOT

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:36 pm

I can hear his mom now, "Boys will be boys". His whole life she said that.
"Beer is proof that God wanted us all to be happy"- Ben Franklin

slowyoroll

Post by slowyoroll » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:08 pm

BoJack wrote:I can hear his mom now, "Boys will be boys". His whole life she said that.
Oh..you know them..got it..damn.. I wouldn't wish this on any parent..

HERMAN CAIN

IDIOT

SoMelo

Post by SoMelo » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:11 pm

I never realized you had to be at least 18 to buy dry ice... Guess it makes sense now :shrug:

afan95

Post by afan95 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:35 pm

slowyoroll wrote:

Yep, any many kids are getting it right from their parents medicine cabinets...
US pill problem is bigger than anyone really wants to talk about..We consume more meds than the world combined..
That's because Americans have so much more "pain" these days than before :ROFL: :ROFL:

Yet when we look at previous generations who really worked for a living doing farming, manufacturing, etc., they didn't have those drugs and seemed to just suck it up and keep working. Now you get a hangnail and some MD gives you a drug for it. Kind of makes you wonder how so many people are so obese if there's so many people doing so many things that make them hurt...or maybe it's the obesity that's causing the pain? I'm so confused...

Also, don't discount the issue of writing a prescription...just write one for 30 vicodin instead of 10. That way the person doesn't call you up asking for more and you don't get in trouble for renewing a prescription w/o seeing the patient. Sometimes I really can't stand MDs....
It's my Board and I will censor you when I feel like it JQP

pattywannamack

Post by pattywannamack » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:31 pm

afan95 wrote: That's because Americans have so much more "pain" these days than before :ROFL: :ROFL:

Yet when we look at previous generations who really worked for a living doing farming, manufacturing, etc., they didn't have those drugs and seemed to just suck it up and keep working. Now you get a hangnail and some MD gives you a drug for it. Kind of makes you wonder how so many people are so obese if there's so many people doing so many things that make them hurt...or maybe it's the obesity that's causing the pain? I'm so confused...

Also, don't discount the issue of writing a prescription...just write one for 30 vicodin instead of 10. That way the person doesn't call you up asking for more and you don't get in trouble for renewing a prescription w/o seeing the patient. Sometimes I really can't stand MDs....
Very true. I broke my wrist last night and they tried to give me vicodin. Albeit my wrist was in quite a bit of pain but it wasn't worth going into some pain-killer stupor for a day over. I asked for something less intense and got a prescription of some extra strength ibuprofen to help reduce the swelling and inflammation. I've been perfectly happy with it thus far, and probably won't take it any more than I have to. In my opinion pills can only do so much, a proper diet, rest, and exercise is what is really needed to be happy and healthy.
There is nothing uglier in this world than a parent riding on the success of their child.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:33 pm

afan95 wrote:Yet when we look at previous generations who really worked for a living doing farming, manufacturing, etc., they didn't have those drugs and seemed to just suck it up and keep working.
They had them; they just didn't get the press that they do now. Could be because half of them were (gasp!) Negroes, rather than Pop Stars O'The Day, and the gossip columnists were called gossip columnists, rather than "the press," and they were bright enough to not write about it.

A guy told me years ago, "Never even try heroin, because you WILL like it." I took his advice.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

ringer

Post by ringer » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:40 pm

Stupid is as stupid does.

All that you have to do to maintain a gap in personal status between (1) having a football scholarship, and (2) being held in the Orange County Jail in lieu of $1 million bail, is NOT throw a dry ice bomb into random strangers' cars. I don't feel sorry for this kid at all.

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:45 pm

pattywannamack wrote:
Very true. I broke my wrist last night and they tried to give me vicodin. Albeit my wrist was in quite a bit of pain but it wasn't worth going into some pain-killer stupor for a day over. I asked for something less intense and got a prescription of some extra strength ibuprofen to help reduce the swelling and inflammation. I've been perfectly happy with it thus far, and probably won't take it any more than I have to. In my opinion pills can only do so much, a proper diet, rest, and exercise is what is really needed to be happy and healthy.
Vicodin won't really do anything to you if you take the prescribed amount, I know it varies from person to person, but I've never heard of anyone really having the mind altering part of side effects when only taking the prescribed amount and then not mixing with alcohol.

Vicodin much like weed does nothing for me and I've never understood why people get addicted to painkillers unless they have actual pain. That junk just makes people sleepy and/or incoherent to when I see someone on it.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch