VP picks.

Tar Pit

Re: VP picks.

Post by Tar Pit » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:49 am

Wabash wrote: Except for the bombs that occasionally go off killing dozens. Something that wasn't occurring until Bush invaded.

Libya and Egypt have had their democratic elections in decades. The other countries are in the midst of unrest is not the fault of the American president.

Wow. Where did I blame President Obama for anything in my post?

Let's see who had the first democratic elections in decades? I think it was in Iraq. Bush and Rice said that a democratic Iraq would start the ball rolling.
Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

http://www.rebellioustruths.org/

Tar Pit

Post by Tar Pit » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:00 am

http://www.aljazeera.com/focus/iraqelec ... 78382.html

OPINION: IRAQ ELECTION 2010
Iraq: An example for the region

The Iraqi people have voted in free and fair elections locally, nationally and provincially since Saddam Hussein, the Iraqi president, was ousted by the US military in 2003.

special report

It has been a bloody and deadly example the entire Middle East, but this week, Iraqis will show the Arab World once again that their hard-fought freedom and painful sacrifices are an example for all people struggling under oppressive regimes.

Monumental change

Although Iraq still sees sectarian violence and terrorist bombings all too much, there is no question that the country has made monumental change to its political system and in a relatively short time.

This week's free and fair elections are yet another example of a young democracy taking hold in a country where just a few years ago real elections and campaigning were unthinkable.

No country in the Middle East gives its people more freedoms than Iraq does today. NGO's are being created weekly; a civil society has emerged to challenge the government's decisions, demand transparency, represent minorities and bring attention to people and issues that were ignored in the past.

Iraq has a free press that is unrivalled in the Arab world, unobstructed access to the Internet and a military that is becoming a force to be reckoned with in the heart of the world's most unstable territory.

While Iraq's very young democracy is messy, incomplete and imperfect, it is currently the envy of the Arab world. <SNIP>

This from Aljazeera............................. The Fox news of the middle east. :-"
Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:06 am

Wabash wrote: I'm not surprised you would make a pathetic comment like that. The man had a seizure.

Let's hope you're never afflicted in such a manner that people you don't like make fun of you.
The Soon-to-be ex-commerce secretary doesn't like Red?

How 'bout that: I didn't even know he knew 'im.

(the humor in your statement will be lost on you, no doubt)

ROFL

OPINIONATED

Post by OPINIONATED » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:38 am

The VP selection will undoubtedly be a governor, like Mitch Daniels or Rob Portman - someone with executive experience that the country believes could step into the presidential job with confidence. No way do the Republicans want to lose a current senatorial or congressional heavy hitter. Daniels doesn't seem to want the job.

When someone like Matt Drudge uncovers a Romney-campaign "leak" concerning Rice as VP, it has setup written all over it. Could be Condi, but it feels more likes a clever way for the Romney camp to look like they're down with women and blacks. Undoubtedly, Rice will stay on the "short list" to the very end of the selection process. But if Romney doesn't already knows who his "guy" is going to be, he's an idiot. He needs Ohio - should be the end of story. Plus, ABC just realeased a story (an hour ago) about how the Democrats will pounce on Portman if he's the running mate. ABC apparently think it's going to be Portman, and are now creating controversy before it's official.

Tar Pit

Post by Tar Pit » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:00 pm

Tar Pit wrote:Okay. Lets say that Mr Romney will end up being the GOP nominee. Who for VP?

Senator Marco Rubio. Hispanic from a big state. 4-1
Senator Ron Paul. Or maybe Fed chairman. 5-1
Mayor Rudy Giuliani. Americas Mayor. Can he make New York a red state? 5-1
Governor Sarah Palin. The rights pin up girl. IMO use her as a money maker and not the VP. 15-1
Governor Jan Brewer. Again. A darling of the right. 10-1
Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice. Bingo! 3-1

Could the woman hating GOP have a black woman on the ticket. =D>
Let's go back and take a look at my list from April 4.

Senator Marco Rubio will be the first Hispanic President. But for now the GOP needs him in the Senate. 10-1
Senator Ron Paul is MIA. 10-1
Mayor Rudy Giuliani is working real hard on the TV news shows for Romney. He looks and sounds great. 3-1
Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice was my pick in April, but I think this is just noise to get some ink. 5-1
Governor Sarah Palin and Governor Jan Brewer I'm dropping from my list.

Thomas Jefferson

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:06 pm

You could add Thomas Sowell....he's very well-liked by conservatives.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Brooke

Post by Brooke » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:12 pm

Parrotpaul wrote:You could add Thomas Sowell....he's very well-liked by conservatives.
He should be well-liked by everyone that has a brain in their skull. :lol:
Who in their right mind uses a welcome sign to mean people who would come into their home uninvited, paid by their neighbors who are using their illegal labor, overrun the neighborhood, and refuse to leave?

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:50 pm

Brooke wrote: He should be well-liked by everyone that has a brain in their skull. :lol:
Why? His opinions are typically completely disconnected from reality.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:21 pm

Tar Pit wrote:Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice was my pick in April, but I think this is just noise to get some ink.
Rice is also pro-choice. That toasts her with the christian nutcase crowd. A group that already doesn't like Romney since he's a Mormon.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Brooke

Post by Brooke » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:37 pm

Wabash wrote: Why? His opinions are typically completely disconnected from reality.
That is a lie. Please show examples? I know that will never happen because you can't. But, please try, I would love to see it.
Who in their right mind uses a welcome sign to mean people who would come into their home uninvited, paid by their neighbors who are using their illegal labor, overrun the neighborhood, and refuse to leave?

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:11 am

Wabash wrote: Why? His opinions are typically completely disconnected from reality.
Brooke wrote:That is a lie.
Prove it.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Hanna

Post by Hanna » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:12 am

Right now the high bets are on Senator Forman who has been in Washington for many years and can show Romney the ropes, like LBJ to JFK and Biden to Obama.

What I am thinking is whether Tim Pawlenty will be the candidate in 2016 - if Romney loses which is now 50:50 chance. With Republicans usually selecting the "next in line" Pawlenty could be it.

Troglodyte

Post by Troglodyte » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:11 am

Parrotpaul wrote:
Prove it.
:lol: Kinda hard to prove that Wabash's opinion of Bev's opion oF Sowell's opinion is a lie.
What we have to remember is that according to Wabash, anyone to the right of Obama belongs to the 1% lunatic fringe of the tea party and is mind controlled by Rush Limbaugh...
I don't suffer from any mental illnesses.. I enjoy them..

Tar Pit

Post by Tar Pit » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:36 am

I see that General David Petracus has popped up as a VP pick.

Thomas Jefferson

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:58 am

Troglodyte wrote: :lol: Kinda hard to prove that Wabash's opinion of Bev's opion oF Sowell's opinion is a lie.
What we have to remember is that according to Wabash, anyone to the right of Obama belongs to the 1% lunatic fringe of the tea party and is mind controlled by Rush Limbaugh...
Something conservatives prove every day.

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:39 am

Tar Pit wrote:I see that General David Petracus has popped up as a VP pick.
Has picking an ex-military guy for a VP ever proved to be fruitful?

Tar Pit

Post by Tar Pit » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:29 am

Parrotpaul wrote: Has picking an ex-military guy for a VP ever proved to be fruitful?
No.

But, you could say the same thing about a woman as a VP pick.

Thomas Jefferson

Tar Pit

Post by Tar Pit » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:34 am

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0812/79445.html

1. Nickname was “Peaches” when he was young — either because of his lack of facial hair or because it was a shortened version of his surname.

2. During a training exercise in 1991 was hit in the chest by a bullet. His surgeon at the Vanderbilt University Medical Center was Bill Frist, who would later become Senate majority leader. (Petraeus convinced his doctors to release him early by doing 50 sit-ups.)

3. Unanimously confirmed as director of the CIA in June 2011, by a Senate vote of 94-0. =D>

4. Known as a “warrior-scholar,” according to Reuters, having earned his master’s and doctorate from the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs at Princeton University.

5. Treated for prostate cancer in 2009, but caught the disease at an early stage.

6. When The New York Times got a tip about his prostate cancer, his staff readied a press release. Petraeus himself added a line to the release that explained the cancer was kept secret in part to “avoid giving Al Qaeda hope,” but his wife took it out.

7. Collapsed in his chair during intense questioning in a Senate Armed Services Committee hearing. He blamed dehydration.

8. Shortly after graduating, Petraeus married the daughter of his superintendent at West Point, Holly Knowlton.
(Also on POLITICO: Veepstakes: What if Romney rolled the dice?)

9. His wife, Holly is the assistant director for Servicemember Affairs at the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, the agency founded as a part of the Dodd-Frank act.

10. His father, Sixtus, was a sea captain, and his mother, Miriam, was a librarian.

Thomas Jefferson

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:36 am

Tar Pit wrote: No.

But, you could say the same thing about a woman as a VP pick.
Or even an Asian American, Jewish American, Arab American, Native American...being male, white, of European descent, and Protestant works well though.

Tar Pit

Post by Tar Pit » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:37 pm

Parrotpaul wrote: Or even an Asian American, Jewish American, Arab American, Native American...being male, white, of European descent, and Protestant works well though.
Our next President will be a Mormon Latino. :mrgreen:

Thomas Jefferson