Fact checker concludes that Obama claim is false

Heywould

Re: Fact checker concludes that Obama claim is false

Post by Heywould » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:14 pm

I have six PM's telling me to stop wasting my time, everyone is telling me that Wabash will never answer the question. However this is such an easy question, which tax is it Wabash? You made a very clear statement that the wealthy avoid a tax that 99% of the people pay, you must have an answer in mind. Prove to everyone that you're not just a guy who makes bold statements but can't back them up. There's actually a term for this in the dictionary but you're not allowed to say it on this Board, it starts with G. Don't be that guy Wabash
If I Had a Dollar for Every Time Capitalism was Blamed for Problems Caused by Government I'd Be a Fat Filmmaker with a Baseball Cap

broman

Post by broman » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:49 pm

Heywould wrote:
Okay Bro, since Wabbash can't back up his claim perhaps you can/will. Do the wealthy "avoid" federal income tax by paying capital gains tax? I'm sure you recognize that these are two entirely different taxes with different rates (for now). Because I pay some capital gains tax certainly doesn't mean I avoided income tax. Now you can say you favor making the CG rates the same as income tax rates, however this has never resulted in more revenue, but you can't accuse someone of avoiding taxes because they choose a certain type of investment.
The answer to your question is no, I think the more important question is, is the tax system fair? Does it bother you that the very poor are not paying any income tax?

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:10 pm

Heywould wrote:I have six PM's telling me to stop wasting my time, everyone is telling me that Wabash will never answer the question. However this is such an easy question, which tax is it Wabash? You made a very clear statement that the wealthy avoid a tax that 99% of the people pay, you must have an answer in mind. Prove to everyone that you're not just a guy who makes bold statements but can't back them up. There's actually a term for this in the dictionary but you're not allowed to say it on this Board, it starts with G. Don't be that guy Wabash
I have six PM's telling me that Heywould is clueless and I should stop wasting my time. That he doesn't understand tax policy and there is no point in sending him links to sites that would answer his question. If one wants to use the leading the horse to water saying, one has to make the assumption the horse is interested in drinking or is thirsty. That is clearly not the case here.

There's actually a term for this in the dictionary but you're not allowed to say it on this board, it starts with M. You're that guy Heywould. Plus, you just let everyone know you have six friends who also don't understand tax policy.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:48 am

Speaking of false claims made by Obama, he stood in front of that bridge and gave a speech proclaiming we should "Send American Workers back to work" ...

So what do the states do to support him? Hire Chinese companies to do the work, instead!

regardless of your political ideology, this should outrage you. The one in California, alone, could have brought over a billion dollars to California's economy which would, then, be spent IN California's economy for a slick little doubler effect ...

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/us-brid ... s-14594513

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:18 am

Now THIS guy is twisted: There is a huge leap from "you had help" to "you didn't build your business, someone else did."

From Fox News:
“If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business, you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen,” he said. “The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.”
:roll:

I guess the lying and twisting just come naturally to him.

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:27 am

GOODave wrote:
“If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business, you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen,” he said. “The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.”

:roll:

I guess the lying and twisting just come naturally to him.
Could you specify what you think is untrue?

I will say that when he said 'If you’ve got a business, you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen', he could have phrased that part a bit better. Other than that, IMO everything he said was %100 accurate.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

GOODave

Post by GOODave » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:33 am

GOODave wrote:
Vilepagan wrote:Could you specify what you think is untrue?
Sure, but I thought I made that clear in the original post:
If you’ve got a business, you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen,”
He started his statement making, as you note, accurate assessments that people have HELP along the way.
But the above statement, that "somebody ELSE made that happen" (instead of "helped make that happen") is a big leap for which there is no truth or support. Then, he concludes his statement with an example of how government HELPED invent the internet, but Government didn't exclusively build the internet.

So his statement that "you did not build that, someone else made that happen" is false, a.k.a., a lie.