Green vegetation on Earth has been increasing for 3 decades.

Space, the environment, new discoveries and new uses for old ones
kramer

Green vegetation on Earth has been increasing for 3 decades.

Postby kramer » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:06 am

We're fertilizing plants and trees with our fossil fuel use...

January 4, 2013, 9:40 p.m. ET
How Fossil Fuels Have Greened the Planet

Did you know that the Earth is getting greener, quite literally? Satellites are now confirming that the amount of green vegetation on the planet has been increasing for three decades. This will be news to those accustomed to alarming tales about deforestation, overdevelopment and ecosystem destruction.

. . .

The inescapable if unfashionable conclusion is that the human use of fossil fuels has been causing the greening of the planet in three separate ways: first, by displacing firewood as a fuel; second, by warming the climate; and third, by raising carbon dioxide levels, which raise plant growth rates.

Link to the rest of the story:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... lenews_wsj

“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock

crayegg
Oversight Committee

Re: Green vegetation on Earth has been increasing for 3 deca

Postby crayegg » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:34 pm

So you are saying a warmer climate and higher co2 levels are a good thing?

I think they are not, especially if they contine unabated.

SoMelo

Postby SoMelo » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:37 pm

I believe it.. Frickin' ivy taking over parts of my backyard, it's the herpes of the botanical world

AsIfYouKnew

Postby AsIfYouKnew » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:49 pm

crayegg wrote:So you are saying a warmer climate and higher co2 levels are a good thing?

I think they are not, especially if they contine unabated.

You actually think we have any control over that?

I don't dispute global warming, just the ridiculous idea that we have a significant part in bringing it along, or that it is even a bad thing.
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
Jonathan Swift

http://www.civilityinamerica.org/en/index.html

pattywannamack

Postby pattywannamack » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:56 pm

AsIfYouKnew wrote:

I don't dispute global warming, just the ridiculous idea that we have a significant part in bringing it along, or that it is even a bad thing.

We should therefore strip the planet of its natural resources and permanently ruin ecosystems, while devoting no amount of money or research to the advancement of renewable energy sources.

:D
There is nothing uglier in this world than a parent riding on the success of their child.

not4u13

Postby not4u13 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:27 pm

There is clearly a place for environmental friendly solutions. We have already come a long way in reducing our impact in the ecosystem. The question is, how far do we go and at what cost? Some would believe we cannot ever do enough. Where we draw that line is the debate. Were we to believe that global warming is man made, we would draw the line in one place. Were we to believe that climate change is a natural cycle, we would draw that line in another.

Obvious I know. But saying that those who have not bought into the hype of man made global warming care nothing about our environment is just plain silly.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:08 pm

I'm not too clear about whose side this article is arguing. I'm sure there are people who are thrilled that they can grow bananas in Ohio now but I'm more than a little hesitant to say that that's good. I doubt that the local cherry farmers are especially happy about it. Shorter, milder winters might sound good to some, but they can be devastating to crops that need long, cold winters.

I have a feeling that the guy who wrote the article doesn't know a whole lot about agriculture, or botany in general.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

SoMelo

Postby SoMelo » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:37 am

or how annoying ivy is

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:59 am

"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

SoMelo

Postby SoMelo » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:08 am

Yeah, that doesn't look too promising. I've just started cutting it where it starts growing up trees, the house, fences or any other place I don't want it to move up. I'm trying to stay away from chemicals, although I have thought about napalm.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:38 am

Digging and picking out anything that even resembles a piece of root is the only sure fire way. And then you'll still probably have to re-dig the bits that you missed. Second best is Roundup mixed with about 1/4 cup of dish soap per gallon applied monthly for 3 or 4 months. Miserable plant. Nurseries can't sell it in some states.

Napalm won't do it. You have to get the roots. Maybe a bunker buster.

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:50 am

The area I cleared for a cactus garden had been a patch of morning glory ground cover under two huge Mimosa trees...they cut down the Mimosa trees...filthy with HUGE waterproof seed pods, and the sunlight once the two trees had been cut down created a morning glory monster hill...I dug up most of the roots, but I still have to kill the errant volunteers on a weekly basis during the growing season....they are brutal to get rid of....as nasty as are blackberry bushes and bamboo. If ya don't get ALL the roots...you will get growth...I just removed an eight inch diameter by three foot Mimosa root that has been making my cactus-gardening-life miserable....YEEE HAWWWWW...full steam ahead....building a stone staircase up the hill. :cheers:
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

SoMelo

Postby SoMelo » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:05 am

There has to be some foreign ivy loving beetle whose time has come to invade.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:48 am

John Q. Public wrote:I'm not too clear about whose side this article is arguing. I'm sure there are people who are thrilled that they can grow bananas in Ohio now but I'm more than a little hesitant to say that that's good. I doubt that the local cherry farmers are especially happy about it. Shorter, milder winters might sound good to some, but they can be devastating to crops that need long, cold winters.

I have a feeling that the guy who wrote the article doesn't know a whole lot about agriculture, or botany in general.

Or ecosystems. Sort of like the folks who claim more CO2 is good because it is plant food.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:50 am

If you talk to somebody who actually understands such things - cranberry farmers, for instance - they'll tell you that climate zones moving isn't a good thing.

AsIfYouKnew

Postby AsIfYouKnew » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:05 am

pattywannamack wrote:
We should therefore strip the planet of its natural resources and permanently ruin ecosystems, while devoting no amount of money or research to the advancement of renewable energy sources.

:D

Is that what they teach you at LBState? :mrgreen:
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
Jonathan Swift

http://www.civilityinamerica.org/en/index.html

kramer

Postby kramer » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:15 pm

John Q. Public wrote:If you talk to somebody who actually understands such things - cranberry farmers, for instance - they'll tell you that climate zones moving isn't a good thing.

Were they stationary before humans?
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

kramer

Postby kramer » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:21 pm

Wabash wrote: Sort of like the folks who claim more CO2 is good because it is plant food.

It IS plant and tree food (or fertilizer) and the planet is greening... Looks like a correlation to me.

kramer

Postby kramer » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:30 pm

AsIfYouKnew wrote:

pattywannamack wrote:We should therefore strip the planet of its natural resources and permanently ruin ecosystems, while devoting no amount of money or research to the advancement of renewable energy sources.

No.

Lets put an organization in charge of the world whose main architect was FDR (with his communist infested admin) and which Rockefeller money (which has funded the communist infested Institute of Pacific Relations and the MK Ultra mind-control project to name a few... ask me for the links if you don't believe me) helped create. Lets make it so that there is a global-democracy so that the vast majority of the world's population can vote themselves our wealth like the people on welfare do. And lets let this organization reduce our CO2 use so that it's on par per-capita with the rest of the world and hence greatly lowered and also charge us for every ounce of CO2 that we emit. This would include flatuence which would cost us over 20x more than CO2 since it is over 20x more powerful a GHG than CO2.

Yeah, this is the solution...

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:32 pm

kramer wrote:It IS plant and tree food (or fertilizer) and the planet is greening... Looks like a correlation to me.

Which has no relation to the harm that is done to an ecosystem as a result of increased CO2. Predatory plants like kudzu are also aided. Which is not a good thing. Amongst many other negatives as a result of increased CO2 production.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Return to “Science and Technology”