Boys basketball: Transfers should give Servite boost

Ramon

Boys basketball: Transfers should give Servite boost

Post by Ramon » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:50 am

Why did Lionhunter come to mind when I read this LOL
KENNY CONNOLLY-STAFF WRITER-OCVarsity wrote: January 05, 2015 9:22 PM

The start of the new year coincides with the time when players who transferred before the basketball season become eligible to suit up and play for their new squads.

Servite could be one of the county programs to benefit the most from the addition of talent to their roster.

The Friars are off to a 10-4 start and this week they will add four players – three of them transfers – that could end up starting for Coach John Morris.

The transfers – Tyler Davis (from Riverside Christian), Cameron Griffin (Brethren Christian) and Jacob Hughes (Orange Lutheran) – will make their debuts tonight in Servite’s nonleague showdown against visiting No. 4 Sonora.

Davis, a guard, averaged just under 21 points a game last season at Riverside Christian. Griffin, a 6-foot-5 small forward, was an All-CIF selection last season for Brethren Christian, scoring 19 points a game while grabbing nine rebounds.

Hughes gives the Friars even more size. The sophomore center is 6-11 and 245 pounds.

Servite also welcomes back freshman point guard Pearson Parker who has been out action for most of this season because of nagging injuries, Morris said.

“We’ll definitely have some more depth now,” Morris said. “Our freshman, Brendan Harrick, has played great and should be one of the best sixth men in Orange County now. He’s a hard worker, and he’ll push those guys for a starting spot the rest of the year.”

The one constant in Servite’s starting five has been Trevor Treinen. The senior wing was recently named MVP of the Katella Klassic. He is averaging 22 points a game in addition to nine rebounds and four assists.

The new-look Friars will be tested tonight by Sonora in what is sure to be one of the rowdiest on-campus crowds of the season. Servite will then travel to take on No. 2 Orange Lutheran in its Trinity League opener Friday at 7 p.m.
Never Underestimate The Heart Of A Monarch
Back to Back CIF-SS Division 1, CIF State Open Division and National Football Champions

Dailydose

Re: Boys basketball: Transfers should give Servite boost

Post by Dailydose » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:03 am

o-10 or possibly 1-9. The usual. Credo

watchersince68

Post by watchersince68 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:18 am

So is the "Transfer Inn on La Palma" going to close practices for basketball also? You know those dad's of
prima donnas are a handful, yelling instructions from the stands to their boys. And what about all you Servite supporters who eat their young, you guys could not stand Morris last has anything changed? Not to mention what happens to all the fine young men who have guided Servite to a fine 10-4 record, are they now going to lose their starting jobs? Going to be some unhappy campers no matter what.

Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:32 am

You beat me to the keyboard, Ramon. I was going to mention this article not because I'm a Mater Dei guy taking a jab at a bitter rival, but because a school that once seemed to have enough integrity to resist the transfer temptation now appears to have thrown in the towel....much like the CIF office has.

It's disappointing that 60% of the starting lineup might be relegated to the bench, but that's kind of what high school sports has become -- a musical chairs of traveling mercenaries. It just seems that if a school is going to take in three basketball transfers at one time, why not just shoot for eight and break St. John Bosco's record?

FriarJoe

Post by FriarJoe » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:45 pm

These are transfers from other privates where there was no athletic reason. Come on guys...no one comes to Servite for basketball!

pitcrew

Post by pitcrew » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:52 pm

It seems Servite held out for a while and eventually got sick of losing. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Too bad.

Lionhunter

Post by Lionhunter » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:45 pm

In general, I agree with MDDad on this.

Those of you who have followed my crusade against transfers will remember that I mostly objected to junior and senior transfers, especially from public schools. I, therefore would have had no problem with Soph Center Jacob Hughes from Orange Lutheran. Griffin and Davis are another story however. Although they do come from religious schools, Griffin is a junior, and Davis is a senior. I have no info about why or how they came to be transfers into Servite.

I once told Regular Bob that if Servite basketball ever joined the transfer parade, then I would have no team to root for. I stand by that statement. I haven't been to a Servite basketball game since my father died in 1977. And now, I will miss it even less. High School basketball no longer exists in the Trinity League (nor in most other leagues as well).
Goin' on a lion hunt, but I don't see no lion.

downtothewire

Post by downtothewire » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:41 pm

The horse is out of the barn, what are you gonna do about it? The business of sports has a trickle down effect. Back in the day, high school sports weren't on ESPN every week and the NFL and NBA weren't billion dollar industries. Top athletes want their cut, so they are trying to get on the radar anyway they can. Building your platform and paving your road for success starts in high school.

TravellingPimp

Post by TravellingPimp » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:40 pm

I know to some people it may seem completely obvious why a student that plays a sport and is good at it would transfer from one school to another.

But allow me to suggest for just a moment that maybe, the parents aren't as wrapped around the axle with their son's sporting career as they are about their academic career. Is it possible that the parents would like to get their kids into a different educational environment and they happen to play sports. Servite is an all-boys school with a culturally different environment from the other trinity's (good or bad - not a value judgement, just a fact) that some parents see better align with the way they would like to raise their boys.

As a youth football coach I see some amazing youth athletes come across my teams and typically the parents are proud but are not going to sacrifice the child's education, the family's sanity or their financial state to put all their eggs in "my kids going pro" basket.

My own sons are pretty darn good athletes and I could not imagine transferring from the school they go to now to another simply to get on a better team. Besides in this case if that is why they were transferring why the heck would they pick Servite for basketball.

I'd rather give these families the benefit of the doubt.

Dailydose

Post by Dailydose » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:12 pm

Are the Servite bb transfers helping?

OCFAN4FB

Post by OCFAN4FB » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:07 am

Well, they are 0-2 in the TL. Just lost 81-49 to Bosco. They are 10-7 overall this year.
INAM "It's not about me"

Dailydose

Post by Dailydose » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:13 pm

Look who they beat! 10 gimmes

WINISAWIN

Post by WINISAWIN » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:53 pm

Every program is a reflection of the coach, the whole basketball coaching staff isnt doing a good job preparing these young guys. They have no passion. My does well start looking for a new basketball coach along with football coach. I hope they could turn it around.

inflagrantedelicto

Post by inflagrantedelicto » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:56 pm

"My does well..."????? smh
Percussus Resurgo

crayegg
Oversight Committee

Post by crayegg » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:30 am

Sounds like dragon-speak for might as well.

Dailydose

Post by Dailydose » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:06 pm

Why doesnt Servite save some money and have 1 administrator/coach for each level of basketball? They results would be the same.

Red

Post by Red » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:21 am

Speaking of basketball transfers....Bosco just got a transfer in from North Carolina and hey now, will be eligible the next game they play Mater Dei. Crazy. :mrgreen:
Liberalism is like an out-of-control 5 year old at McDonalds. All the talking to and admonishment won't make a difference. They have no concept of right or wrong, they are nothing more than narcissists.

Haroof

Post by Haroof » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:51 am

Red, won't matter. They'll still get worked by MD.

Red

Post by Red » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:20 pm

Never know Haroof. Santa Margarita kept the game close last night. Should be a good one. Glad it's at MD.
Liberalism is like an out-of-control 5 year old at McDonalds. All the talking to and admonishment won't make a difference. They have no concept of right or wrong, they are nothing more than narcissists.

BoscoBrave

Post by BoscoBrave » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:51 am

Red, that transfer will be lucky to see the floor. Most likely a Jv player.