Trump going to Mexico

cruiser

Trump going to Mexico

Post by cruiser » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:38 am

Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto personally invites Trump to Mexico for a sit down
to get to know each other and reach common ground?

What gives? Why would Nieto do this? The majority of Mexicans hate Trump. Does he know something the American public does not?

MDDad

Re: Trump going to Mexico

Post by MDDad » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:57 am

Maybe Pena-Nieto wants to break the ice and grease the skids on the off-chance Trump will win in November. Otherwise, the two sides seem to have little in common. Trump getting invited to Mexico is kind of like Hillary getting invited to an ethics conference.

ShiftyMutt

Post by ShiftyMutt » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:33 am

Apparently Clinton was invited, too.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:25 pm

I'm sure Mexicans haven't forgotten about his comments regarding Mexicans and the Mexican government. I have no doubt they will be polite and professional and forget about him as soon as he leaves.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Reconquista Primero

Post by Reconquista Primero » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:31 pm

The Vulcans have a saying: "Only Nixon could go to China."
Spock, Star Trek VI, The Undiscovered Country.
Worst choices for president in my 35 + years of voting.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:37 pm

Not even remotely the same.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Reconquista Primero

Post by Reconquista Primero » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:09 pm

Wabash: How so? Spock's comment was made about Capt. Kirk, who had slammed the Klingons, going to Klingon on a diplomatic mission.
Likewise, Nixon, after slamming China, went to China on a diplomatic mission.
Here, Trump, after slamming Mexico, has gone to Mexico on a personal diplomatic mission.
Before wasting electrons answering, keep in mind my post was about a line in a movie and my original post and this response is all in humor.
Last edited by Reconquista Primero on Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:25 pm

He wants Pena Nieto's taco bowl recipe.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:09 pm

Reconquista Primero wrote:Wabash: How so?
I kind of figured there was a sarcastic tone.

The major differences are:

Trumps has mocked Mexico for over a year. Nixon didn't do that.

In 1972, an American president hadn't visited the People's Republic of China since it was established in 1949. That is not the case here.

It was especially notable because we were heavily involved in the Cold War. The trip also helped strengthen our relationship with the PRC against the Soviet Union. Nixon realized the communist threat was not monolithic. The PRC hated the USSR almost as much as us.

Nixon never accused China of sending its criminals into the United States and China was corrupt.

Those are the major differences.

Reconquista Primero

Post by Reconquista Primero » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:21 pm

Wabash: I guess you missed the part where I said it was in humor.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:33 pm

I know. I thought I addressed that in my first line.

The rest was in case any of the Trumpettes on this board might want a valid point.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:07 pm

Apparently when asked about Mexico paying for the wall, The Donald stated the subject didn't come up.

So much for another major campaign promise.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:13 pm

Wabash, we get it already. In your view, everything Donald Trump says or does is wrong, sinister and evil-intentioned, while everything Hillary says or does is laudable, transparent and ethical. Unless you have something new to say, there's really no need for you to post your opinions again until after the election.

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:21 pm

P.J. O'Rourke has a line in one of his books referring to something being "more fun than watching the entire Mexican air force crash into a propane plant."

This has that feel to me.

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:38 pm

MDDad wrote:Wabash, we get it already. In your view, everything Donald Trump says or does is wrong, sinister and evil-intentioned, while everything Hillary says or does is laudable, transparent and ethical. Unless you have something new to say, there's really no need for you to post your opinions again until after the election.
Not everything in either case.

Feel free to put me on ignore. I won't mind.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:08 pm

I hear his "Make America Great Again" sombrero didn't go over too well
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:13 pm

Wabash wrote:Apparently when asked about Mexico paying for the wall, The Donald stated the subject didn't come up.
Hmm...Nieto is saying he made it clear at the start of their talk that Mexico wasn't going to pay for the wall. Someone is lying (again)

John Podesta, Clinton's campaign chairman:

"Donald Trump has made his outlandish policy of forcing Mexico to pay for his giant wall the centerpiece of his campaign. But at the first opportunity to make good on his offensive campaign promises, Trump choked."

"What we saw today from a man who claims to be the ultimate 'deal maker' is that he doesn't have the courage to advocate for his campaign promises when he's not in front of a friendly crowd"

Podesta later added: "It turns out Trump didn't just choke, he got beat in the room and lied about it."

Ouch

http://us.cnn.com/2016/08/30/politics/d ... index.html
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:49 pm

I wonder if they shared a taco bowl?

This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:46 pm

Wabash wrote:Feel free to put me on ignore. I won't mind.
If a Wabash posts in the forest and everybody has him on Ignore, __________________________________?

Fill in your own last line. I know what mine is.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Wabash

Post by Wabash » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:51 pm

His posts are still there.