Trinity weekly predictions pool

Omar Bongo

Re: Trinity weekly predictions pool

Post by Omar Bongo » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:07 pm

joefutbol wrote:If Gorman gets by Bosco and STA, they will win every national championship
The advantage of playing a league schedule and postseason composed of teams ranked in the 5,000-10,000 range nationally
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:01 pm

I guess that's why the scheduled three national top 10 teams and two more around 50th, including the #1 ranked teams from Texas and California. They can't help where they're located.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:20 pm

Agreed, you don't get to pick your league opponents. My point was you wouldn't be able to say they had the Nat Champ in the bag off the results of 2-3 games if the rest of their season wasn't so easy.
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Playthegame

Post by Playthegame » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:32 pm

Bosco
DLS
CC
JSerra
Alemany
MD

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:54 pm

Playingtime wrote:Peace and Love MDDad.
Peace and love to you too, Playingtime.
We gotta discuss this non league schedule thing Monarchs.
OK, I’m ready whenever you are.
There is a mistaken belief among many who have never been part of the process that a head coach can schedule any team he wants, without limitations or constraints, as long as he has the balls. Nothing could be further from the truth. When you factor in the constraints of (a) what weeks a team has open, (b) whether they need a home or road game, (c) whether or not both sides want a one- or two-year deal, (d) financial and travel constraints, and (e) the fact that some teams just refuse to play you, the task sometimes becomes almost impossible. Two or three times I’ve described the difficulties Mater Dei has encountered in this area. Just last week I described the scenarios that failed to materialize before the Mayfair game was booked. If anyone believes it’s easier than what I’ve described, I think I can get you a part-time job.

…year in year out, since 2010, weakest schedule other than J Serra.
That is absolutely untrue. Since you start your statement with 2010, in that year Mater Dei had the toughest preleague schedule in the Trinity League. In 2011 they had the second toughest. In 2013 they dropped to fifth. In 2014 they had the toughest, and in 2015 they had the third toughest. The composite preleague schedule strength for that six-year period has Mater Dei second behind Servite., not last as you claim.

Furthermore, there is actually little evidence proving that the toughness of a preleague schedule translates to success in league play and the playoffs. In 2010, Santa Margarita had the fifth toughest preleague schedule, but finished second in league play. In 2011, Bosco had the fifth toughest preleague schedule but finished second in league behind Servite. Mater Dei had the second toughest preleague schedule but finished below .500 and out of the playoffs for the only time in the last 27 years. In 2012, Servite had the toughest preleague schedule but finished in last place. Bosco has won four straight league championships, going 20-0 in league play, but has never had the toughest preleague schedule in any of those years. There are more example, but I think the point is clear.
Our Monarchs would have been CIf Champs at least twice since 2010 if they had played a tougher non league.
That is an absurd non-sequitur. Since you don’t state what those two seasons were, I’ll assume you mean the two years when the Monarchs made it to the championship game and fell short.

In 2012, Long Beach Poly came out in a wildcat offense that they hadn’t run since the first half of the first game of the season, Mater Dei was unprepared for it, and Poly ran off a quick three touchdowns. Once they made the necessary adjustments, Mater Dei played Poly to a standstill the rest of the game. If Mater Dei had played someone tougher than St. Paul and Santa Monica in the preleague, it wouldn’t have made an ounce of difference.

In 2013, Mater Dei faced a Bosco team in the finals that was one of the great teams in recent Southern Section history. Bosco was just plain better, and Mater Dei could have played six NFL teams in preleague and the result would have been the same.
…but if you have National Title aspirations, and MD should, gotta schedule tougher, year in, year out.
Having gotten to know the program's head coach and his assistants pretty well in the last 13 years, I can guarantee you none of them have thought for one second about how to better position the program for national title votes. The goal is the same as it’s been for the last 27 years – to win a CIF championship, because everything else is beyond the control of the team and the staff. Playing in a state bowl game is by invitation only, and winning a mythical national title is by hoping for the vote of people who vote for teams they’ve never seen play.

Your turn.

FriarJoe

Post by FriarJoe » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:58 pm

Why do people insist on testing MDDad and Luca? They have about 150 years combined of high school football knowledge (with about 120 of those belonging to Luca) and they have the wit and wisdom to tear apart everyone's weak takes in a nanosecond. MD is not running from anyone and teams are not lining up to play them either. They've done just fine over the past several years. Next to Bosco they are the most consistent program in the Trinity League right now. Yes they haven't tasted a league title or CIF title in a while but there is a good chance that changes this year.

FriarJoe

Post by FriarJoe » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:09 pm

Ok on to the prediction of the games.

1. Gorman vs. Bosco: Gorman by a couple of scores. Bosco's offense looks a bit limited and I don't see them getting those big plays against Gorman's defense, which essentially has no weaknesses. No big plays for Bosco means they won't score enough since i don't see consistent drives against the Gaels.

2. Servite vs. De la Salle: Game will be over by half time. Mercy scores will make it look not so bad. 42-20 DLS.

3. OLu vs. CC: CC big. Let down game for CC perhaps but CC still puts up 50 and wins by 3-4 TDs. 52-28

4. JSerra vs. Amat: JSerra by 2-3 TDs. Amat has zero offense. This is a very limited team. Servite laid an egg last week against Amat but JSerra is too well coached to do the same. I see this as a 31-14 game.

5. SM vs. Alemany: SM in a close game. Long way to travel and Alemany is not a total push over. I'm not ready to predict a blowout for the Eagles yet but they will find a way to win.

6. MD vs LaMirada: MD scores 50 points and wins by 4-5 TDs. Unlike last week, La Mirada will score but there is no way they are slowing down the MD passing machine.

kingspeed

Post by kingspeed » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:47 pm

1. Gorman vs. Bosco: Bosco will play them decently but Bishop Gorman will run off a few more big plays and win by 2 TD's

2. Servite vs. De la Salle: Spartan's win but score will not be as much a blow as some predict

3. OLu vs. CC: Huskies will be a bit fatigued but will hang 50

4. JSerra vs. Amat: JSerra wins as Amat does not have enough offense

5. SM vs. Alemany: Eagles continue winning ways but much closer than their victory over the Cubs

6. MD vs LaMirada: JT and St Brown show will continue but will not score 63, at least I think not
"Get In The Mix"

ocfootballfan

Post by ocfootballfan » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:12 pm

Gorman
DLS
CC
JSerra
SM
MD

number9

Post by number9 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:55 pm

Gorman
Dls
CC
JSERRA
Alemany
MD

templar83

Post by templar83 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:38 pm

DLS/Servite.. Read the following on another site; " In Nor cal we have a nickname for the Friars- "RC Friars" ... Running Clock Friars " . I don't think it'll come to that, but the Spartans will prevail.

CC/OLU.. The Huskies appear to be primed for another championship run and will use the Lancers to get back on track. CC wins comfortably.

JSerra/Amat.. Amat's struggles continue against a JSerra team whose confidence is growing. The Lions go to 3-0.

SM/Alemany.. SM might have found something last week against Loyola, then again maybe not. Alemany in a close one.

Bosco/Gorman.. Bosco's defense, lead by an exceptional front seven, will keep this game close. Got a feeling the Bosco QB will be the difference, decent arm and track speed. Bosco prevails in a really good high school football game.

MD/La Mirada..La Mirada has a decent defense and a couple of capable corners. Hard to quantify how good MD is based on their first two opponents. Not sure this game will clarify matters going forward, but at least it shouldn't be a running clock. MD wins.

insidetrinity

Post by insidetrinity » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:15 pm

1. Gorman vs. Bosco: gorman wins. should be a great game. gorman oline and run game is very physical.

2. Servite vs. De la Salle: de la salle wins because they almost always do

3. OLu vs. CC: centennial wins because matt logan only loses to de la salle. (and img)

4. JSerra vs. Amat: JSerra wins but i havent seen them play. amat isnt very good though

5. SM vs. Alemany: sm wins in a close one.

6. MD vs LaMirada: blowout mater dei wins. probably running clock. md scores every possession of first half

americanhero

Post by americanhero » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:28 pm

The 3 that I don't think there is much discussion about-
DLS over Servite
MD over La Mirada
CC over O Lu

A little more discussion-
JSerra over Amat (Amat can hang but not here)
Alemany over SM (I think Alemany is actually one of the better teams in the Section)

A complete homer pick-
Bosco over Gorman. Don't ask me to justify it because I can't. But that's what I'm hoping for.

Good luck to everyone. Have fun and stay safe.

hit the lights

Post by hit the lights » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:06 am

Gorman
De la salle
CC
AMAT
SM
MD.....JT'S HUGE stats continue this week, he gets 6 more TD'S

The Old Gym

Post by The Old Gym » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:39 pm

MD win
JSerra win
OLU loss
Servite loss
RSM win
Bosco loss

jmumphery

Post by jmumphery » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:21 pm

My friends - no one has any faith in Servite this week but me. Trust me, I'm not drinking - I think the team will rally and pull this victory out. They know last week should have been a "W"" and looking to redeem themselves!!!! :rockon:

Playthegame

Post by Playthegame » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:18 pm

Gorman
DLS
CC
JSerra
Alemany
MD

Two days in a row I am saying to my self I need to revise picks. So I am going to listen to my self. After last week I need perfection...

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:21 pm

I haven't seen Servite play this year, but I've seen DLS. The Spartans are not nearly as strong as they usually are, but they will be much too good for Servite. To beat DLS you need exceptional D line play. They'll be ripping of 7-yard run after 7-yard run and break a few big ones in between...... Like always. A Servite win isn't impossible, but it almost is.

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:22 pm

If you need perfection you need to swap Alemany :wink:

Playthegame

Post by Playthegame » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:31 pm

I know...but I need another day, I can't always trust myself...