Servite vs. De La Salle

Professor Fate

Servite vs. De La Salle

Post by Professor Fate »

Do the Friars stand a chance? Very few people seem to think so. The Friars have faced DLS four times and lost everytime by an average of 31 points/game.

De La Salle is 2-0, defeating (0-2) Amador Valley 42-7. By way of comparison, Amador Valley's other loss was to Deer Valley 34-21.

The Spartans also defeated (0-2) Serra 47-13. Serra was clobbered the previous week by St. Mary's 63-35.

They haven't been tested yet, but they are facing a team that they always beat. A team that lost to an Amat team after Amat got killed by 49 points by MD the week before.

I have been monitoring a few other sites, and before the Servite/Amat game, there were occasional posts about how the Servite game had them a little concerned, along with the Serra Game and the East (Utah) game. Now they feel much more confident, and are probably looking ahead to (3-0) East HS.

Since the Amat game there has been very little mention of Servite at all. They think of Servite (as Templar83 pointed out), as "Running Clock Servite".

On the Vibe site, the only mention of Servite since the Amat game, has been this one posting that score.
Bishop Amat 14, Servite 10 final. The same Amat team that lost by about to 50 to MD last week. And yet Servite folks are saying this is the year they beat DLS. Funny!
On the Spartanhood site, this error filled post drew no interest at all. Not even one response.
Was surfing around various sites and it became apparent that Amat really dominated Servite much more than score would indicate. Servite had only 5 first downs and Amat out-gained them 360 to 148, and was played on Servite home field (think they play all home games at Cerritos College, but not sure, understand no seating at high school)...QB was something like 5 for 23. Team they beat in opener 21-0, Fountain Valley, is 0-2 and been outscored 61-7. Not a particularly noteworthy program.

Am sure they will be fired up for Spartans and usually pretty well coached. But like Spartan chances.
I think the Friars can win this game. The Spartans lost 90% of their starters. Their JV team last year lost to Servite 33-14 at DLS. QB Tyler McMahon led that victory, and could come off the bench tomorrow night if necessary. DLS hasn't been tested enough yet, to know where they need work, and they are facing a team that under-performed last week, a team that they don't respect.

DLS, this week, is where Servite was last week. Untested, unaware of where improvement was needed, and facing a team they weren't worried about, after MD clobbered them by 49 points.

This game pits strength against strength. DLS's strength has always been its running attack, and Servite has never been able to stop it. This year Servite's strength is it's defense against the run. Amat was held to minus rushing yardage last week. DLS's passing attack is what the Spartan fans have been saying is lacking this season. If the Friars can force them to throw more than they want to, this could get really interesting.

That takes us to Servite's offense. I don't buy that they were trying not to show anything to DLS last week. But the fact remains that all the Friars did show them offensively, was that which did not work. In other words, they showed them nothing! If that's what Servite shows again this week, DLS wins by 24. But I believe that lessons were learned last week, and this Friar team is chomping at the bit to get at these guys tomorrow night.

Servite by 6 points.
Last edited by Professor Fate on Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Make Them Cry Again In 2020
jmumphery

Re: Servite vs. De La Salle

Post by jmumphery »

Professor Fate - I like your post and the analysis's that you supported it with. You are very much on point. I feel confident that a different Servite (offensively) will show up tomorrow. We get one of our starting "shut down" CBs back this week.

Servite has a short passing game - where they send the WR up field and the RB down the middle of the field. Depending on the CBs and LBs position or read - the QB throw to the RBs. This package worked all summer and during spring ball. I'm not sure why they have not used it inn any games so far. The QB was able to make quicker decisions and release the ball faster or had open field for 8 - 10 yards.

We have not thrown a lot to the RBs in the flat and the middle of the field so far. These two areas of the field has been there that last two games. Our RBs and WRs cannot drop the ball this week when they are open and the ball is catchable.
ARF

Post by ARF »

ROFL ROFL
FriarJoe

Post by FriarJoe »

Servite has no chance to win tomorrow. De la Salle is a machine and is 20 times better than Amat. Servite's offense is mediocre and they would need to score in the 30s tomorrow to have a chance and that isn't happening unless Fountain Valley's defense shows up. Yes, Servite has a solid defense but DLS's veer and misdirection runs combined with their (sometimes illegal) line firing off the ball will be way too much for Servite to handle. I think the Friars should just focus on trying to work on their offense and improve that with an eye toward's Trinity League play. Not getting humiliated on Friday would be nice as well but don't get your hopes up Friar faithful.
Kauaicoffee

Post by Kauaicoffee »

Is "FriarJoe" an anagram of "Eeyore"?
concrete17

Post by concrete17 »

@ Professor Fate......Andre Maginot couldn't have said it any better.
Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo »

Maybe he's just a realist...

Then again who knows, if this DLS team really is "very mediocre", after years of being Marvis Frazier to DLS's Tyson maybe this is Servite's Buster Douglas moment...I wouldn't mind seeing them pull it off
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump
downtothewire

Post by downtothewire »

I'm expecting DLS to dominate and win by 3 TDs, and wouldn't be shocked if it was more. I'm hoping the Friars can keep it within 10 points, but I seriously doubt it.

The program just isn't anywhere near a program that can compete with a power like DLS. Offensively and defensively they don't have enough to match up.

DLS 35, Servite 14
jmumphery

Post by jmumphery »

DLS is not nationally ranked in the top 10 like in the past this year. Last year their first varsity game was against a nationally ranked team out of Texas. DLS 2016 FB schedule does not resemble their schedules in past years. I like our chances tomorrow!!! Go Servite - make us proud!!!!

They will respect Servite after tomorrow!!
Yeahboiyee

Post by Yeahboiyee »

DLS had quality transfer join their Varsity team so don't be misled by a JV victory. Servite barely lost to Bosco JV 2 years ago and were blown out by over 60 points then next year. Take a look back at the scores. Comparing JV to Varsity is simply silly. Servite will find out how great their defense is when they play DLS. DLS runs hard and very tough to tackle. They are never a good throwing team. They suck you in by the run pass ratio and all of sudden the TE is alone in the middle of the field due to over anxious safeties.

Funny folks are saying they are down this year. DLS is never down. I always like to see So Cal beat anybody from anywhere else and certainly hope that Bosco and Servite represent. DLS is in the top 25 Nationally and I assure you will climb. Coaching staff knows how to get full potential out of their players. Servite needs to show a running game to even think about competing. If they cant run the ball they will not be able to have a respected passing attack and vice versa. Servite from my understanding does not have great speed at any position on offense.
Last edited by Yeahboiyee on Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
joefutbol

Post by joefutbol »

jmumphery wrote:DLS is not nationally ranked in the top 10 like in the past this year.
Neither is Servite.....
Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate »

Yeahboiyee wrote:...They are never a good throwing team. They suck you in by the run pass ratio and all of sudden the TE is alone in the middle of the field due to over anxious safeties...
Yeah, DLS calls that the Y-pop play, and Servite better be ready for it.
Make Them Cry Again In 2020
Yeahboiyee

Post by Yeahboiyee »

Servite will have to crash the RB's with everything they have and hope the QB over or under throws. DLS does not go down unless you wrap up text book style. I bet they score at least one TD to the TE over the middle.
TrippMcNeilly

Post by TrippMcNeilly »

Servite by 6??

I love the rationale Servite fans have about their team year in and year out...every season when they play a great team some poor servite fan comes on here and details how and why Servite is going to win...but this might be my favorite one of all time.

DLS 44
Servite 7
jmumphery

Post by jmumphery »

All real men that I know put their pants on one leg at a time. Each time you step on the field - if you have faith, confidence, prepared, and see the opposition no better than you there is always a chance. The Texas team last year showed that DLS is beatable with their best players. If your players buy into everyone comments that they will lose the game before its ever played then they should lose. Not sure of the comment about Servite not having any speed is true. Please check the track team from 2015 in the 100, 200, 400, and relays. All those kids are on the FB team except Keyon Reily who is currently at UCLA. I do not think it has as much to do with the players as the play calling. We have to open up the offense and execute. The JV record plays a very important role in understanding the varsity - those kids become the varsity players.
I still like Servite chances and feel they will get the job done tonight. All be Blessed and safe and regardless of our comments on the board - let's cheer the kids on and wish them the best WIN or LOSE. It is really all about the KIDS at the end of the day and they hopefully learn life lessons regardless of the outcome of the game. I respect everyones comments and their position but I love my Servite and will always look for them to pull out the WIN. Lets play some FB and have fun - its game day!!!!!!!
Yeahboiyee

Post by Yeahboiyee »

Servite has not played anybody with half of a run game yet. Let's wait before you annoint them great up front. Also, you have a dismal running game. Your backs have several drops and minimal yards rushing. This is not 7 on 7 that the little dump to the RB in the middle that all teams do is quite diferent against a 4-3 Defense. Servite on offense appears relatively slow. Your top speed is with your DBs.
jmumphery

Post by jmumphery »

My friend/s - I guess we can spend all day picking the game apart and still want know until the game is played. Its game day now, So, let the teams determine the outcome. We can all discuss and laugh and say I told you so tomorrow. I hope all enjoy the FB games this weekend and pray for all safety. Best of luck to you and your favorite team. I will be cheering for Servite but wish all programs the best and that the players stay safe and healthy. GOD BLESS
junior

Post by junior »

The Friar Faithful are entertaining folks.

Yes this is the weakest DLS team, at this point of the season, since probably 2006. 2009 had a VERY slow start but we knew there was a QB in the wings to take over and he did.

That being said, Servite still has not mastered THE biggest difference between these two programs- the Friars are not physical enough to hang an L on DLS. In all 4 games DLS has physically manhandled Servite and that likely isnt going to change this year either.

Best of luck to Servite tonight.
Luca

Post by Luca »

Servite is never going to have the inherent advantage of a DLS positioned program and it's probably time to end this series. It's not benefiting either program significantly, the games haven't been competitive and it's a hell of a lot of travel.

They'd be better off playing teams more like the ones they'll see in league play. None of the other Trinity opponents are so run dominant - Bosco is at times - and they should schedule more to their advantage. Oaks Christian, Mission Viejo, St Bonaventure, etc. How does a ground control veer opponent prepare your kids for what they'll be seeing?...............Luca
downtothewire

Post by downtothewire »

Luca is right. Servite should have ditched DLS after the first home and home series. Right now they can't beat the upper half of the Trinity League so they need to focus on that, not teams hundreds of miles away.