Cantlay vs Woods: Best High School golfer from OC?

inflagrantedelicto

Re: Cantlay vs Woods: Best High School golfer from OC?

Post by inflagrantedelicto » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:48 am

THETRUTH wrote:

Interesting, they both had football coaches as high school golf coaches and came from Northwest Orange County(Cypress and Los Al). I think the big difference when you compare them is what were there real goals Cantalay most likely wanted to win state do really well in college and turn pro. Tiger wanted to win 18 plus majors and all the tournaments he could along the way. His high school schedule took a back seat to those goals, although remember, he was OC golfer of the year as a freshman in high school He was the youngest US Junior Ametuer champ at the time and only player to win 3 of them, he 15 when he played in his first PGA event and several golfing publications named him the top junior in the world while in high school!

Cantalay is doing fine, was great in high school, but really, it is not even close guys!

BTW, how big of a horrible AD can you be when Tigers HS coach tells you to shove it because you tried to screw him and athletics over at Rosary? You think Servite took a big step or not when they got rid of of Ickes!
i might need the Rosetta Stone to decipher this. anyone care to translate?
Percussus Resurgo

THETRUTH

Post by THETRUTH » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:20 am

inflagrantedelicto wrote:
i might need the Rosetta Stone to decipher this. anyone care to translate?
The Rosary AD is a turd and Servite is happy to be rid of him, how is that?

THETRUTH

Post by THETRUTH » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:21 am

THETRUTH wrote:

Interesting, they both had football coaches as high school golf coaches and came from Northwest Orange County(Cypress and Los Al). I think the big difference when you compare them is what were their real goals. Cantalay most likely wanted to win state do really well in college and turn pro. Tiger wanted to win 18 plus majors and all the tournaments he could along the way. His high school schedule took a back seat to those goals, although remember, he was OC golfer of the year as a freshman in high school He was the youngest US Junior Ametuer champ at the time and only player to win 3 of them, he 15 when he played in his first PGA event and several golfing publications named him the top junior in the world while in high school!

Cantalay is doing fine, was great in high school, but really, it is not even close guys!

BTW, how big of a horrible AD can you be when Tigers HS coach tells you to shove it because you tried to screw him and athletics over at Rosary? You think Servite took a big step or not when they got rid of of Ickes!

inflagrantedelicto

Post by inflagrantedelicto » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:38 am

THETRUTH wrote:
The Rosary AD is a turd and Servite is happy to be rid of him, how is that?
agreed. i just needed you to clarify before i made the same statement. he is a real piece of work. he and the other ex-Servite knucklehead at Rosary deserve one another.
Percussus Resurgo

Lionhunter

Post by Lionhunter » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:49 pm

Can one of you golfers explain this for me? The link below shows Patrick Cantlay finished first in the Reno-Tahoe Open, but if you click on the tounament name, it lists the top twenty finishers which shows 20 golfers (not including Patrick) who won much more???

http://espn.go.com/golf/player/results/ ... ck-cantlay
Goin' on a lion hunt, but I don't see no lion.

SoMelo

Post by SoMelo » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:54 pm

Easy... he's still amateur. No $$$$
And I haven't golfed in ages (cuz I really suck at it)

Lionhunter

Post by Lionhunter » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:05 pm

SoMelo wrote:Easy... he's still amateur. No $$$$
And I haven't golfed in ages (cuz I really suck at it)
He has turned pro already. So far he has won over $62,000

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:20 pm

Lionhunter wrote:Can one of you golfers explain this for me? The link below shows Patrick Cantlay finished first in the Reno-Tahoe Open, but if you click on the tounament name, it lists the top twenty finishers which shows 20 golfers (not including Patrick) who won much more???

http://espn.go.com/golf/player/results/ ... ck-cantlay
The link is wrong. The Reno-Tahoe open is one of those gimmicky tournaments that are usually played on the same weekend as a major. Rather than stroke play, the scoring is something like 0 points for a par, 2 points for a birdie, 5 points for an eagle, etc.

Cantlay finished in a four-way tie for 37th and won $13,800. The "1" next to his name on the espn link is the number of points he scored on the last day of the tournament, not where he finished on the leaderboard.

Lionhunter

Post by Lionhunter » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:11 pm

MDDad wrote: The link is wrong. The Reno-Tahoe open is one of those gimmicky tournaments that are usually played on the same weekend as a major. Rather than stroke play, the scoring is something like 0 points for a par, 2 points for a birdie, 5 points for an eagle, etc.

Cantlay finished in a four-way tie for 37th and won $13,800. The "1" next to his name on the espn link is the number of points he scored on the last day of the tournament, not where he finished on the leaderboard.
Ah, thank you, that makes more sense.

SoMelo

Post by SoMelo » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:24 pm

Lionhunter wrote:He has turned pro already. So far he has won over $62,000
Say what??? He said he was gonna graduate first! [-X

RandyF59

Post by RandyF59 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:27 pm

MDDad wrote:The link is wrong.

The "1" next to his name on the espn link is the number of points he scored on the last day of the tournament, not where he finished on the leaderboard.
You are only partly correct Big guy. The website incorrectly show young Canilay with a win on his Career Overview AND in the scoring POSition summary. The win will surely come, just hasn't yet.

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:04 pm

Very pleased to learn that Servite's Patrick Cantlay is finally going to return to the Pro circuit after about three years, due to a stress fracture in his back. During his layoff, he's also had to deal with the death of his caddy and former Servite teammate Chris Roth, who was killed right before his eyes, by a hit-and-run driver at Newport Blvd and 30th Street.
Patrick's old swing coach Jamie Mulligan has made some minor changes to his swing to relieve some pressure on his spine, and he has also been working on strengthening the muscles in that area. Cantlay recently set the course record on the Mountain Course at the Vintage Club in Palm Springs, shooting a 63.

On Thursday he steps on the course to begin the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am, the first PGA Tour event that his aching back has allowed him to play since November 2014, Cantlay.

I hope people will watch and root for him. I know I will.

Go Patrick!
Make Them Cry Again In 2020

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:21 pm

Good luck to him. A back injury that sidelines a player for close to 30 months, especially at such a young age, is gonna be hell to overcome.

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:36 pm

True, and playing four straight days, (like the PGA events do) was what he was unable to do for the last 3 years.

But I'm happy to say Patrick made the cut (which was set at 1-under). He shot 70, 71, and 71 for a 3 under par 212, and finished the day with a 44 foot putt for a birdie. Cantlay will play the final round tomorrow. Good Luck, Patrick!

Santa Margarita's Beau Hossler had a very good day today (2- under), but he was 74, 72, 70 for a 1 over par 216 and missed the cut by 2 strokes. He was playing extremely well today, and at one point he was 4 under for the day which would have made the cut, but bogeys on the last two holes stopped him.

BTW that Jordan Spieth was unbelievable today (-7 today, -17 for the tournament).

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:46 pm

Patrick finished with an even par round, for a 284 (3 under par) for $17,897.14

The good news is that he was able to make the cut, and play 4 rounds of quality golf, which has to be great for his morale.

The bad news is that it probably cost more to enter that tournament than what he won. One stroke better, and that wouldn't have been the case.

Nevertheless, Great job Patrick! Welcome back.

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:06 pm

A $680,400.00 payday for Patrick Cantlay. I'd say he's back! He finished 2nd in the Valspar Championship. Entered the final hole tied for the lead, but lost by 1 stroke to Adam Hadwin.

Only the second start for Patrick since 2014, and he killed it.

Congratulations Patrick! :cheers:

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:50 pm

Cantlay is a great talent, he may go on to become an outstanding pro, and finishing second in any PGA tournament is a remarkable achievement. But to be completely honest, with only two of the world's ten best golfers, and seven of the top 30, the Valspar had one of the weakest fields I've seen in quite a while.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:12 pm

The title of this thread made me curious so I checked Woods' HS accomplishments...

Woods attended Western High School for four years, from ages 15 through 18, graduating in 1994. Woods was still in high school when he first played on the PGA Tour.

During Woods' years, the CIF did not conduct a statewide championship tournament in golf, but split the state into Southern and Northern halves. So the highest high school tournament for Woods was the CIF SoCal Regional, and Tiger won that tournament once, in 1991.

Woods was the CIF Southern Section individual champion three times, in 1991, 1993 and 1994. Western High School was a member of the Orange County League at that time, and Woods was named the league's Most Valuable Player all four years of high school.

He also won the Dial Award as the top male high school athlete in the United States in 1993.

Woods played in many tournaments outside of high school during his years with the Western Pioneers: the American Junior Golf Association and other top junior tournaments, USGA tournaments, even pro tournaments.

Woods was 16 years old and a sophomore at Western High School when he made his first PGA Tour appearance at the 1992 Nissan Los Angeles Open at Riviera Country Club.

As a high school freshman, age 15, Woods won his first USGA championship, the 1991 U.S. Junior Amateur. He repeated as champion in that event in 1992 and 1993, as well, while still in high school. (The first of his three U.S. Amateur Championship wins came just after he graduated from high school in 1994.)

https://www.thoughtco.com/tiger-woods-h ... ol-1566378

How does Cantley's HS career match up with that?
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

joefutbol

Post by joefutbol » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:52 pm

The level of competition that Woods faced pales in comparison to today.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:07 pm

I think that may be a personal conclusion unsupported by any real evidence.