Who replaces JT at MD?

Fridayisgameday

Who replaces JT at MD?

Postby Fridayisgameday » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:05 pm

Now with JT officially reclassifying , who steps into his spot next year? Lots of talent returns for the Monarchs , names are being thrown around as possiable replacements.
Everyone keeps mentioning Cathedral Sophomore QB Bryce Young on his way to MD. I'm hearing that Bryce Young is headed to Alamany as coach Clausen first recruit to get the Pasadena connection go back to the Valley. Rumor is Murrieta Valley QB Hank Bachmeir may be the guy going to MATER DEI.

Professor Fate

Re: Who replaces JT at MD?

Postby Professor Fate » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:53 pm

:iknow: Ooh ooh, I know this one! The answer is either Ann-Margret, or the poor Catholic kid on the bench, right?
Well, obviously we have giant butterflies in CA. They's climbin' in your windows, They's snatchin' your people up, tryin' to steal 'em. So y'all need to hide your kids, hide your stars, and hide your coaches cause they're grabin' everybody out here.

SoCalFball

Postby SoCalFball » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:32 pm

Let’s see MD or Alemany? :eh?: Not a hard choice

pattywannamack

Postby pattywannamack » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:59 am

This might just be me...but nothing excites me about a transfer from Cathedral.

If I recall San Diego football is a pretty big step down from what happens in the Southern Section. So to me this is like people getting excited about Connecticut Star Todd Hunt about 6 or so years ago when he was transferring in and he was what? Serviceable at best. Would be much more excited seeing kids already at Mater Dei stepping up. Who was the backup that did so well in passing league when Daniels was resting his arm? He seems like the logical choice

Likewise...Cathedral just has a completely different vibe from Mater Dei. When Mater Dei would compete against Cathedral at Mater Dei Cathedral's teams always gave off a weird vibe. Having gone to Cathedral for a few competitions myself I always hated the place. Everything seemed a little too pristine, and perfect...what I like about Mater Dei (and Bosco and Servite to an extent) is that there are parts of those schools that are a bit rough around the edges, and I think that sometimes brings out more in people.
There is nothing uglier in this world than a parent riding on the success of their child.

jb914

Postby jb914 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:07 am

I'm sure MD will be fine at QB.

The backup, if i remember was Carter Freedland?

I think he had a hand injury the 1st part of the season or we might have seen him more in the 2nd half of the early games.

BTW, Pattywannamack, I think the rumored Cathedral QB is from LA Cathedral, not the one in San Diego

joefutbol

Postby joefutbol » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:09 am

pattywannamack wrote:Source of the post Connecticut Star Todd Hunt about 6 or so years ago when he was transferring in and he was what? Serviceable at best

I think he ended up starting a couple seasons at Fresno State. He wasn't what he was hyped up to be, but he was still a very good player.

And the Cathedral QB is a different story. San Diego might be a step down, but he's a sophomore with offers everywhere, including Alabama. If you have a Bama offer, you're probably pretty decent.

templar83

Postby templar83 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:49 am

pattywannamack wrote:Source of the post
If I recall San Diego football is a pretty big step down from what happens in the Southern Section.

Assuming this is true, what does it have to do with Bryce Young who used to go to LA Cathedral?

watchersince68

Postby watchersince68 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:31 am

Watched the video of Bryce he seems to have a pretty good job already with the Washington Nationals. As long as we are spreading rumors.

TheFan

Postby TheFan » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:08 am

Here is his tuition bill ......0000000.0000000

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:03 pm

TheFan, I'd be willing to bet a kidney you have no idea what a potential future transfer would be paying in tuition, or any of the current transfers either. Will you take that bet?

And just as a point of comparison, the combined tuition bill of all 1.74 million students who attend public high schools in California is exactly $0.00.

TheFan

Postby TheFan » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:38 pm

I will take the bet, what body part of mine do you want me to put up ? I don't need a kidney so I will donate yours ?

Dad and all MD Fans please quit pretending as to what is going on at MD and SJB, to a lesser extent the other Trinity schools. Let's all quit pretending, MD and SJB should just play a prep school schedule and we all move on. Its a charade to pretend that Newport Harbor, Edison, Los Al and MD could ever be on the same levels. SJB has blown up Poly. The only reason CC is not wiped out is due to the drive unless MD can move more kids into garage/apt.

So if you think the QB is going to pay full boat, then enjoy Disney movie.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:44 pm

Apparently you believe that if a family isn't paying "full boat", they must be paying "00000.00000". There is no middle ground. If you really have that much of a math deficiency, that's your problem.

jb914

Postby jb914 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:55 pm

TheFan wrote:
Dad and all MD Fans please quit pretending as to what is going on at MD and SJB, to a lesser extent the other Trinity schools.

I really wish one of you MD experts would help me find the mysterious free tuition form.

watchersince68

Postby watchersince68 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:18 pm

The Fan aka Oc Fan aka MrNiceGuy
Ok here it is there is a huge slush fund put together for primarily the football players and some basketball players. It is done behind closed doors and parents are given condo's and cars depending on the kids skill set, not to mention free tuition. There is quite a computer program set up to see who deserves what. It has been signed off by the Pope himself
because he understands football makes money for the school. Now here is the big problem what are you going to do about it? If it went public what are you going to do with your spare time but to continually rag on this forum about the same thing or are you not competent enough to talk real football.

Daforno

Postby Daforno » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:21 pm

Matt Barkley ( a reasonably good QB at Mater Dei ) family paid 100% full tuition for him and his 2 siblings for their full 4 years at MD, didn't get a dime from the administration
Get over this and get on with you life!!!!

Domingo

Postby Domingo » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:26 pm

jb914 wrote:I really wish one of you MD experts would help me find the mysterious free tuition form.

It's really simple. You either make too much money or your son/daughter is not an "impact" player in the right sport. Full rides or damn near close to full rides are happening at every single Trinity League school and especially now for football players. SJB started the trend when Jason Negro was hired. The school made a business decision that is paying off handsomely. Bring in football talent (pay for it) and the alumni will open their checkbooks. A school that no one anywhere outside of Bellflower, CA had ever heard of is now a widely recognized National HS Football Power and is building a multi-million dollar on-campus football stadium.

Mater Dei has followed suit. They had always had that same business model for their basketball program but after suffering one to many lopsided defeats to the "new" Bosco, Mater Dei realized it also needed to do exactly what Bosco was doing. Pay for the best available football talent.

How does it happen? Simple. Most of these families can't afford the $20K per year cost for tuition, fees and football at MD and SJB. That is why the majority of the players on these teams has never attended a private school in the past. The starters at MD and SJB are 90% public school kids that are attending a private school for the first time in their lives. These families apply for financial aid like any other needy family through a 3rd party site called FACTS Management. This 3rd party collects all the relative financial data for each applicant and awards tuition discounts based on need. Football players and non-athletes all go through this same process. Based on the need determined, a family will be given a discount on the regular tuition. In one particular case, a football player at MD was only required to pay $6K for the school year (again this is a common outcome for low-income non-athlete families as well at MD and other private schools). That family is then set-up on a monthly payment plan with FACTS Management, not the actual school. What happens to the remaining $6K you ask? Someone, anyone can walk into the school business office and make an "anonymous" payment on behalf of any student at the school. The school will then notify FACTS of that payment. Family receives an email from FACTS alerting them of said payment. Tuition paid.

It's business. It is what it is. Let's not pretend it's not happening. I just wish it wasn't happening at Mater Dei. I liked it when we won with the local Catholic kids, some of whom were of a lot of tuition assistance BTW.

BoscoBandWagon

Postby BoscoBandWagon » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:20 pm

Josh Rosen and Sean McGrew paid full tuition. 100%.
Does that mean Damian mama did? No.

We obviously don’t know what people pay for tuition. But parents talk. Many lie, I know that.
And parents know other parents especially now due to 7on7 clubs.

Their is a large group from corona that comes into Mater Dei.
All will gladly tell you they pay no tuition (unproven), have a van pool pick them up and take them home (proven) One of the kids came from bosco and parents clearly say they transferred because md is free, provides a ride and told them they do not have to move they will give them a fake address so they don’t have to sit 5 games.

Mddad will tell me I as well as other posters are “clueless” but maybe you would like to meet me over on sawtooth circle and see for himself. (Proven)

jb914

Postby jb914 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:32 pm

Domingo wrote:It's really simple. You either make too much money or your son/daughter is not an "impact" player in the right sport.

You didn't recognize the sarcasm font, Domingo.

TheFan

Postby TheFan » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:29 am

Well done Domingo, bravo, who is going to dispute this process happens ?

...I know multiple Bosco supporters personally, more so than MD guys. They make those payments Domingo talked about. When Negro started winning the donations at Bosco went up, not down. The money flooded in from older alumni. Wait until you see Bosco's new stadium, it will be nice, and talk is soccer and lacrosse wont be able to use it, just FB.

I love the examples of Matt B and Rosen. If I had their money I would burn mine...

I wont site specific kids that I know their story since they are still minors, not far and don't need the info out there to make my point.

If MD and SJB want to use this business model, that is fine it is a free country but they should play a prep school schedule and why a public would ever schedule them in the preseason is beyond me, unless they paid our team.

Sweetness34

Postby Sweetness34 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:27 am

Mater Dei is already playing what you call a "prep school" like schedule.. This past season La Mirada was the only public school on the schedule. And look for them to be replaced next season. They will probably play in the Brothers in Arms classic again with an out of state school or marquee match up. So the only game they need to find is a replacement for La Mirada. MD is already playing a top notch schedule without any public schools.

Return to “High School”