Coaches Resigning

SK80

Coaches Resigning

Postby SK80 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:53 pm

Damn is it me or are a lot of coaches resigning this year? Add Costa Mesa, Buena Park and San Juan Hills to the list...

Does anyone have a take on the numbers? Comparative to most years....? Just curious. Could it have to do with the futility now of many programs with no chance at recruiting and being a destination school for football talent with the new world we face now in high school sport?

thebull

Re: Coaches Resigning

Postby thebull » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:26 pm

Transfers, low numbers, lack of support from administration, helicopter parents, etc.

The list could go on forever. It's unfortunate that the "new" responsibilities placed on head coaches are killing their love of coaching. Head coaches are no more than general managers at this point... Johnny doesn't start one game and parents immediately email and call every coach and administrator at the school bombarding them with complaints. No thanks...

SK80

Postby SK80 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:27 pm

There goes another one.... Troy Thomas out at Crespi.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:32 pm

SK80 wrote:Source of the post Could it have to do with the futility now of many programs with no chance at recruiting and being a destination school for football talent

If that's the reason they became coaches they should quit
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

TheFan

Postby TheFan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:24 pm

Fisher at CM was just tired, 56 years old, has grandchildren, CM is the second smallest public school, tough spot, I think he will coach again. Admin brought him in, along with the new stadium. He had support of the school admin, maybe not perfect but better than most. Plus the district has money.

Flowers is moving out of state, I am guessing better lifestyle. Only Rollo can afford a median priced home in the OC

BP coach I have never met.

I don't factors others are discussing are the case with these guys above. I think when one goes to work for a private school it is only a matter of time before change happens, different animal than a public program.

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:52 pm

TheFan - Re: Costa Mesa HIgh and Estancia High, both have low enrollments, can't understnad
why the school district keeps both open,since all the eastside Costa Mesa kids and even the extreme westside CM kids go to Newpor Harbor HIgh as their home high school.

Either Costa Mesa high or Estancia can handle the double enrollment if one of the HS's were
closed up.

SK80

Postby SK80 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:48 am

Yes but Estancia actually has a pretty updated football field and CM just put some millions into theirs.... and yes good athletes in CM area are so close to NH they just bump over there...

SK80

Postby SK80 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:51 am

There goes yet another.... WESTMINSTER HC TED MCMILLEN one of OC's longest tenured coaches. Westminster finished season 9-3 and was having one of their best seasons....

Wesstminster.png
Wesstminster.png (158.64 KiB) Viewed 2560 times

thebull

Postby thebull » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:06 pm

Crean Lutheran too

SK80

Postby SK80 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:51 pm

whats up at ET... Bullski? Did u get a coach....

ocfootball

Postby ocfootball » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:20 pm

SJ is probably best job of all that are mentioned,,,new school with new housing,,,wonder why Flowers would leave like a previous SJ coach, Gibson, Hmmmmm......

insidetrinity

Postby insidetrinity » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:54 pm

fryer column on coach turnover: harlow said he would be interested in talking to troy thomas, troy thomas has been contacted by colleges, and fryer seemed to think he is a good fit at crean but troy didnt even know they had an opening

TheFan

Postby TheFan » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:10 am

Fryer column is about 5 years late, yes it is tougher to coach HSFB to have a program when you have to rely on walk ons for the majority of your staff. Fryer missed the lack of support most athletic programs now have from admin and districts, Fryer missed the effects teams not being able to charge fees anymore "ACLU Case"...., ...Come on Steve learn something about stats too....How many HC are even in their 50's ? One coach has family care issues, another wants to move out of state for a better lifestyle (shocking middle class is leaving CA) ...

Ted at Westminster has been talking about not being a HC for a while, none of Fryers factors were at play. One he needed a break, two his kids are at an age where he wants to spend time with them before they are out of the house. This is common knowledge around WHS...

Everyone know YLHS is the place to go in YL, the reason Esperanza is so troubled starts with Admin and their choices again...get the story right ...

Loosing respect for Steve until he has the eggs to accurately report on what is happening at MD and SJB.

I am in a position of hiring people, one of my first five questions I ask, did you play team HS sports? I find potential employees are more competitive and get along better with others. I find FB players that have gone on to get their degrees have a sense of mental toughness. It is not an absolute but all things being equal it is one of the deciding factors. So society quit supporting HS sports and keep creating a group of kids that only know to worry about themselves, and when things get tough find a way to say it is not their fault. Lord help up if a15 year has to learn a life lesson in sports, where it is merit based world, and despite frustrations if you don't work hard you wont win as a team.

thebull

Postby thebull » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:49 am

Haven't heard anything yet.

but I wouldn't be surprised if Westling gets it

ColSixPack

Postby ColSixPack » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:11 am

As far as the San Juan Hills gig....Gibson left because his wife had family out on the East Coast. He's pretty successful out there. Gonzales left San Juan Hills as the AD last year to go out to Idaho. Perhaps Flowers is following him? They've always kind of palled around together from Dana Hills to San Juan.....just speculation. The administrative support isn't what it used to be at San Juan Hills. When Tom Ressler was the principal, you had an old football guy in administration who believed sports drove school culture. Now there is a female former elementary principal....just sayin.

Bigbear

Postby Bigbear » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:21 pm

Add Scott Meyer from Servite to this list.

NJtoNYCtoSOC

Postby NJtoNYCtoSOC » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:37 pm

Other problem for SJH is that they are square in the middle of two Trinity League teams along with MV, San Clemente, CV and Tesoro. They have to worry about building a program with just the neighborhood kids while trying to keep those kids from getting plucked away.

Ramon

Postby Ramon » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:50 pm

If Troy goes to Crean...Could they replace Servite in the Trinity in 3 years???
Never Underestimate The Heart Of A Monarch
2017 Trinity League, CIF-SS Division 1, CIF State Open Division and National Football Champions

frankieboy1

Postby frankieboy1 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:58 pm

maybe Bosco goes into CAA (LA)-Crean comes in-makes it 6 teams for both boys and girls sports (only 5 girls teams now since St. Josephs, Bosco's sister school, didn't make the move into the TL 10 years ago and is not interested in doing it now, even though their girls BB team could be a real powerhouse in a hurry if they did)

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:55 pm

Crean L. is going to an all public school league next year, it's also a higher division I think,
give them five more years and it might possibly be that Crean L. joins the trinity league
and Bosco goes back to an LA county league especially with PiusX/St Mathias HS now
open and in Bosco's backyard.

Return to “High School”