Why the gun industry doesn't like Republicans

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Why the gun industry doesn't like Republicans

Postby John Q. Public » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:44 pm

Had to laugh. Elect a "true friend," remove the hysteria and sales plummet. I bet Donald could invade Texas and nobody would care.

[O]n Monday Remington Outdoor Co., which traces its history back to 1816, said it would file for bankruptcy protection, succumbing to a slump in business worsened by, of all things, a president who has steadfastly supported Americans’ right to bear arms.

The bankruptcy is a blow to the private-equity mogul Stephen Feinberg, who has been a prominent supporter of President Donald Trump. Feinberg’s firm, Cerberus Capital Management, acquired Remington in 2007 and subsequently saddled it with almost $1 billion in debt. The Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing will let Remington stay in business while it works out a plan to turn around the company and pay its creditors.

~snip~

While the Remington name is unlikely to disappear, the company’s travails highlight the shifting fortunes of the firearms industry and its fraught position in the nation’s economic and political life. The company’s fortunes took a hit after the election of Donald Trump, a self-proclaimed “true friend” of the gun industry, because Hillary Clinton’s defeat erased fears among gun enthusiasts about losing access to weapons. Sales plummeted, and retailers stopped re-ordering as they found themselves stuffed with unsold inventory.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... bankruptcy

Also of note is the part where it says "Feinberg’s firm, Cerberus Capital Management, acquired Remington in 2007 and subsequently saddled it with almost $1 billion in debt. The Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing will let Remington stay in business while it works out a plan to turn around the company and pay its creditors." Creditors get stiffed, people lose their jobs and Feinberg cries all the way to the bank. That's not how business is supposed to work but it's been our reality for the last 30 years.

Don't look at me, I just work here.

Wabash

Re: Why the gun industry doesn't like Republicans

Postby Wabash » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:22 am

Feinberg is using the same model as Romney at Bain Capital. Buy a solid company. Saddle it with debt. Walk away with millions and a mushroom cloud in your rearview mirror.

One of the best lines in the original Wall Street movie is;

"Now, in the days of the free market when our country was a top industrial power, there was accountability to the stockholder. The Carnegies, the Mellons, the men that built this great industrial empire, made sure of it because it was their money at stake."

Feinberg has no allegiance to the Remington name.

One of Mrs. Wabash's friends worked in the online and catalog advertising division of a large telecom company. The division was bought by a private equity firm. I told Mrs. Wabash that her friend had seen her last raise. That it will eventually get run into the ground and dissolved. It's taken about ten years. But the friend hasn't had a raise in ten years and believes the company will go belly up some time this year. Corporate debt will be but one factor.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:29 am

There was nothing scarier to a large segment of the redneck community than a Black President that they thought would "take their guns!"
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:46 am

What's craziest is that they never gave any indication that they were coming for anybody's guns. But the conspiracy theorists went crazy with it and we had an 8 year run on guns and ammo. Should we call it a bubble?

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:23 pm

This wasn't too far fetched.
Attachments
7th Annual Obama Gun Sale.jpg
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:34 pm

Actually it is far off, Wabash. I'll elaborate below, but first a few observations:

Every time there's a senseless shooting somewhere the liberals start clamoring for this or that type of gun to be outlawed, and, of course there are those who want to outlaw ALL guns.

Even if it were only one or two types that were outlawed, it's not a giant leap to presume the government would come for those.

Some gun owners actually agree that some of those changes would be a good Idea, except that the gun control extremists wouldn't be satisfied with that. It's the same slippery slope fear, that abortion rights people fear when discussing outlawing partial birth abortion, even though they may be opposed to partial birth abortions.

I don't own a gun, although I've often thought about getting one or two. Had Clinton been elected, I certainly would have. I still might get one, but I might not.

But here's one thing every post in this thread is missing. Had Obama or Clinton (had she won) indicated they were going to try to outlaw and confiscate guns, gun stores, like the one in Wabash's post, would not have been where people would have gone to buy their guns. Those purchases would have been registered, so the government would know where to find them.

If I do buy a gun during a gun friendly administration, I'll buy it from a gun shop, and it will be registered, but if I fear that the government would come for my guns, I know several people who own many guns, some registered, and some not registered. They would sell me some.
Well, obviously we have giant butterflies in CA. They's climbin' in your windows, They's snatchin' your people up, tryin' to steal 'em. So y'all need to hide your kids, hide your stars, and hide your coaches cause they're grabin' everybody out here.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:53 pm

Like I said,

John Q. Public wrote:But the conspiracy theorists went crazy with it....

Apparently they still are.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:52 pm

Professor Fate wrote:Source of the post...the gun control extremists...

:roll:
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:47 pm

Professor Fate wrote:Source of the post Every time there's a senseless shooting somewhere the liberals start clamoring for this or that type of gun to be outlawed, and, of course there are those who want to outlaw ALL guns.

Even those who don't clamor for ALL guns to be outlawed want something to be done.

Maybe outlaw semi-auto centerfire rifles and shotguns.

Like mandatory wait periods and background checks.

The vast majority of Americans support both of those. It is the gun extremists who fight against them.

Vilepagan

Postby Vilepagan » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:18 pm

Professor Fate wrote:Source of the post I don't own a gun, although I've often thought about getting one or two. Had Clinton been elected, I certainly would have.

Why? Who would you want to shoot?

Seriously professor, if Clinton had been elected why do you feel you'd "certainly" get a gun?
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

Vilepagan

Postby Vilepagan » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:22 pm

Professor Fate wrote:Source of the post If I do buy a gun during a gun friendly administration, I'll buy it from a gun shop, and it will be registered, but if I fear that the government would come for my guns, I know several people who own many guns, some registered, and some not registered. They would sell me some.

Somehow I don't think it's the 'gun control extremists' who are the problem. At least they're willing to work inside the law.

Really Professor with an attitude like that you shouldn't be allowed to own any guns at all.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:36 pm

I'm trying to get my head around the idea of Deep State Agents coming to take away guns that you don't have. So you go out and get some illegally, cuz... gun control.

And then you complain about people doing that in Chicago.

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:57 pm

Vilepagan wrote:Source of the post
Seriously professor, if Clinton had been elected why do you feel you'd "certainly" get a gun?
I'm not planning to shoot anybody right now. But if it is going to be illegal to by a gun, effective on a particular date, I will certainly buy one before that date.
Well, obviously we have giant butterflies in CA. They's climbin' in your windows, They's snatchin' your people up, tryin' to steal 'em. So y'all need to hide your kids, hide your stars, and hide your coaches cause they're grabin' everybody out here.

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:59 pm

Vilepagan wrote:Source of the post Really Professor with an attitude like that you shouldn't be allowed to own any guns at all.

Why is that? Your side hasn't closed that loophole yet.

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:07 pm

John Q. Public wrote:Source of the post I'm trying to get my head around the idea of Deep State Agents coming to take away guns that you don't have. So you go out and get some illegally, cuz... gun control.

You lost me. Why would agents come for guns I don't have?

As to the next sentence, if I feel I have a right to bear arms, and that right is denied to me by "your side," I'll get one anyway, like the people in Chicago do. (And I never complained about them doing so...I just said that they WOULD do so despite gun laws).

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:28 pm

"My side." I see. Paranoid much? Did Alex Jones tell you about me? He got his story wrong.

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:50 pm

Your side. I put quotation marks on it. It was referring to those on your side of the gun control issue. Nothing paranoid about that.

And believe it or not, while I've heard the name before, I didn't know who Alex Jones was. I thought it was the name of the former Obama official who called Trump's election "a whitelash."

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:03 pm

Professor Fate wrote:Source of the post I'll get one anyway, like the people in Chicago do.

So how do you suppose people who shouldn't have guns should be prevented from getting them?

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:07 pm

Professor Fate wrote:Source of the post It was referring to those on your side of the gun control issue.

Many people on "my side" of the gun control issue own guns. Even assault rifles. Methinks somebody's telling you things that aren't true.

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:09 pm

Wabash wrote:Source of the post So how do you suppose people who shouldn't have guns should be prevented from getting them?

Good question. Don't know the answer.

Return to “National”