Yet Another Trump Win in the SCOTUS

Professor Fate

Re: Yet Another Trump Win in the SCOTUS

Post by Professor Fate » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:31 pm

They are from my belief in the right of a nation to control its own borders. Put that in whatever category blows your skirt up.
Make Them Cry Again In 2020

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:50 am

So what would you do in the case of Billy Bob the immigrant beater?
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:50 pm

You mean if the immigrant refused to testify? I'm not an expert in this field, so I don't know. It does seem that the state sometimes tells the victim that it is not up to them whether charges are filed or not. The state brings the charges. Whether they could get a conviction without the immigrant's cooperation...I don't know.

If the immigrant declines to avail himself of a chance to bring his attacker to justice...that's up to him, but if he chooses not to, he lets the crime go unpunished. What does he gain by doing so? He's already going to be deported whether he testifies or not.

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:06 pm

Professor Fate wrote: You mean if the immigrant refused to testify?
No. I mean if the immigrant isn't around to testify(because you've already deported him) what do you do with Billy Bob the immigrant beater?
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:11 pm

Testify by closed circuit TV? Submit affidavit? And submit photos of his rearranged face?

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:54 pm

Your suggestions seem about as well thought-out as Trump's deportation policy
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:24 pm

Thank You.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:30 pm

Guillermo del Toro stole that Oscar from a 'Murican auteur. :steam:
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:41 am

Professor Fate wrote: Testify by closed circuit TV? Submit affidavit? And submit photos of his rearranged face?
And the appeal based on the 6th Amendment is born.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:45 am

Wull, it says right there in the Constushun "In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right... to be confronted with YouTubes of the witnesses against him...." :mrgreen:

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:29 am

Then again, since internet connections were so notoriously sketchy in the 18th Century, a good strict constructionist, non-activist judge could probably tell us that what they meant by that was that videos were good enough.

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:40 pm

John Q. Public wrote:Guillermo del Toro stole that Oscar from a 'Murican auteur. :steam:
Wull, it says right there in the Constushun...
Here we go again. I almost hate to bring it up, John, but this is another example of the liberal hypocrisy on this forum.

Rarely does a week go by that someone doesn’t use words like this, or some version of “gummint” or “Ayrabs” to ridicule and belittle the mispronunciations and poor grammar of many ignorant, poorly educated Americans on the right. One can only imagine the moral outrage that would ensue if the ignorant, poorly educated residents of many urban areas were similarly ridiculed and belittled for their diction and grammar. But y’all doan hafta bleev me, y’all kin jizz ax anybody.

I’d love to hear an explanation of why one insult is considered humorous while the other is racist.

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:02 pm

MDDad wrote: I’d love to hear an explanation of why one insult is considered humorous while the other is racist.
Well, only one hints at the race of the speaker (black) and since it's not racist to make fun of someone of your own race only one is "racist".

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:15 pm

It's been a while since I heard a load of baloney quite that big.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:36 pm

Geez! Touchy today, are we?
Troglodyte wrote: Gubmint and How Gubmint Works
Once upon a time the government had a vast scrap yard in the middle of a desert. Congress said, "Someone may steal from it at night."
So they created a night watchman position and hired a person for the job.

Then Congress said, "How does the watchman do his job without instruction?" So they created a planning department and hired two people, one person to write the instructions, and one person to do time studies.

Then Congress said, "How will we know the night watchman is doing the tasks correctly?" So they created a Quality Control department and hired two people. One to do the studies and one to write the reports.

Then Congress said, "How are these people going to get paid?" So They created the following positions, a time keeper, and a payroll officer, then hired two people.

Then Congress said, "Who will be accountable for all of these people?" So they created an administrative section and hired three people, an Administrative Officer, Assistant Administrative Officer, and a Legal Secretary.

Then Congress said, "We have had this command in operation for one Year and we are $18,000 over budget, we must cutback overall cost." So they laid off the night watchman.
The Free Dictionary even has a redirect on "Gummint," so maybe it isn't that uncommon.

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/Gummint

MDDad

Post by MDDad » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:06 pm

Yes, hypocrisy and double standards always make me a little touchy.

Professor Fate

Post by Professor Fate » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:44 pm

Vilepagan wrote:
And the appeal based on the 6th Amendment is born.
:D Well then I guess he's just gonna get beat up.

Omar Bongo

Post by Omar Bongo » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:12 pm

MDDad wrote: John, but this is another example of the liberal hypocrisy on this forum...But y’all doan hafta bleev me, y’all kin jizz ax anybody.
The merits of your outrage aside, I'm not sure why you have to stereotype that as "liberal" hypocrisy. Be careful not to employ the same broad brush you castigate others for using...

(As an aside, it's comforting to see that the word "jizz" still gets by the word censor...I guess the vast liberal conspiracy to stifle free speech still has some work to do... :D )
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:24 pm

I be workin' own it.

Has anybody noticed that writing like that seems to be considered cool these days? Troubling.

Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:51 pm

MDDad wrote: It's been a while since I heard a load of baloney quite that big.
You got exactly what you asked for.